Ratings for Dr. Paul H. Gurney

Dr. Gurney was a joke. I was recommended to him, so thought I would be in capable hands, but his care was unacceptable. He was flustered while asking questions about where my pain was and then didn't take x-rays to check my spine to make informed decisions about treatment. He kept suggesting additional treatments that "insurance doesn't cover" and some of it was seriously ridiculous. He wanted to use a "muscular strength test" to determine what adjustments to make because regular adjustments "aren't as exact." I asked him to tell me what it involved before I paid for it and he said "It's hard to explain, I have to show you to really explain it, but it helps me be more exact and know where to move the bones." The test involved him pushing muscles before making adjustments - so I told him I didn't see how it was different than a standard adjustment should be, and said I wasn't interested. He continued to explain it more, I continued to say I don't think it does anything, so I'd rather he didn't. My neck was really tight when he tried to adjust it, so when it didn't crack on the first try, he proceeded to force it THREE MORE TIMES. It was very painful and never adjusted. After the sub-par "adjustments" of my neck and upper back, he tried to set me up for another appointment; so I asked if he was going to check the rest of back and joints and do a full examination. He was surprised and said, "Oh yes, let's go ahead do that now." When I left, the receptionist charged me for the muscle test I told him I didn't want, and twice for the exam and adjustment, saying they aren't the same....I told her I didn't want the muscle test and she said, next time I can make a note for him to not include it, but he did perform it this time. He is clearly incompetent and trying to squeeze every penny out of patients. I would not recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2015