Ratings for Dr. James P. LEONE

Over the course of the year I was in group therapy led by James Leone, PhD, (a) I was accused of secretly taping my telephone call to him, (b) I was singled out while he was handing out invoices to some in the group made it a point that I am responsible for paying my bills, though I was never late in any payment. It was weird and I called him on it. The man does not create a positive group space and allows the group to have an insular core of "oldies" from "newbies". And he did not provide any invoices nor receipts for over nine months. He still hasn't, not does he return communications tome. Over 40 years, first time I've seen such behavior from one who is listed as a professional.

flag | Submitted October 21, 2017

He was very rude the first time I met him. I asked him to discuss the type of therapy he practiced and he said that I had trust issues for asking that question. What? Isn't that a requisite and preliminary question before starting any kind if therapy? Also, he wanted to know who my former therapist was so that he could discuss me with her. I said that I felt uncomfortable with that and again, he stated that I had trust issues. He seems to think that everything revolves around trust and practices "relational" therapy. I left after 30 minutes. He clearly had his own issues that I didn't want to deal with in a therapist.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2017

Dr. James Leone seems like a very nice guy at first. I spent 1 year attending his groups, one each week. I also met with him individually. While he enjoys what he does, and his sense of enjoyment is initially infectious, it wears thin. I found Dr. James Leone's outlook on life, advice, and even behavior to be superficial. Then it becomes clear that Dr. Leone requires you to agree with him, and even degrades you if you fall out of line. Much more disturbingly, I found that he treats members of his group in cruel ways. Dr. Leone encourages people to speak abusively to each other, not assertively. There is no excuse for this. As a result, I left every group feeling worse than before I entered. I saw people becoming angry, confused, and literally react in shock to the emotional abuse he encourages in his groups. I doubt most people went out better than the way they came in.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2016