Ratings for Dr. Melissa Y. Macias

Dr. Macias is under investigation by the medical licensing boards in both Wisconsin and Texas. She has 3 OWI convictions as well as pending investigation regarding a patient's death in January of 2016. Her bedside manner is absolutely awful. She is a very mean, angry, woman. Anyone looking to book with this surgeon- DON'T! YOU WILL REGRET IT! http://fox6now.com/2017/07/06/its-a-pattern-drunk-driving-neurosurgeon-still-practicing-despite-conviction-and-complaints-about-temper/

flag | Submitted July 8, 2017

Everyone cconsidering this doctor should be aware of the fact that she is being actively investigated regarding the death of a patient in January of 2016, and also pled guilty to a third DUI charge. She is now attempting to leave the state and practice medicine elsewhere. She is licensed in Wisconsin, as well Texas and Illinois. Rest assured, "Doctor" Macias, your reputation precedes you and it's in your best interest to stop performing delicate operations on patients if you just can't kick your alcohol addiction.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2017

LEAVING WISCONSIN BECAUSE PLEADING GUILTY TO DRUNK DRIVING THE THIRD TIME. BEING INVESTIGATED BY STATE BOARD OF WISCONSIN

flag | Submitted February 22, 2017

This lady has a horrible bedside manner. She is rude and has no regard for her patients feelings. I witnessed her treat her staff like low class citizens and belittled them repeatedly. She has a God complex, and is in danger of losing her job due to repeated insubordination to her co-workers and patients. Do Not Use Her Services she is obnoxious.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2015

My husband was operated on my Dr. Macias. He experienced complications. We were told that if he was experiencing numbness / tingling in his extremities following his back surgery, that she would order an MRI. He did develop these symptoms, we communicated this on several occasions. She then ordered him back to work without limitations, without seeing him again, and with no MRI. His condition has worsened since. She was short w/ us when we asked questions as to next steps, and essentially said she had done her job and there was nothing more she could do. We have since sought a second opinion, and we were told that this surgeon 'would have done the surgery differently .. and with stronger, more flexible hardware'. We have since learned that Dr. Macias is no longer w/ Swedish American Hospital. I will also never forget the pain my husband went through post surgery. Over 7 hours following his surgery, I as his wife was told I still could not see him, because his pain 'was not yet under control'. My husband is a larger man, 6'3, 250 lbs. In very good shape. I do not think he was given appropriate medications following surgery. It was hard to watch him go through that amount of pain for 2-3 days with little relief. After repeated 'asks' to the nursing staff there, and unanswered calls to Dr. Macias, I was finally told his pain medication dosage increase 'had been approved'. So that when I went to visit him over his 5 day stay at the hospital, it appeared he was able to get some rest and be without constant agonizing pain after the initial 3 days of insufficient pain medication. The response I was given was .. the patient needs to feel the pain so he / she does not overexert. Nurses also told me they were surprised the doctor had not allowed them to give more pain meds post-op, given a 4-vertebrae fusion surgery. I get the not wanting a patient to overexert oneself, because they could potentially do so if they don't feel pain. But I think they may have been thinking they were treating a 'normal' sized person, say a man at 165 lbs. Not a man 250 lbs. It was so terrible to see someone you love going through unnecessary pain, while all the nurses saying 'I'm sorry, the doctor said we can't give him anything else' .. and then I didn't hear back from her for days. I recall having tibial plateau surgery years ago, and I was given appropriate pain medication. I didn't have to beg for it. And my surgery went very well. I did not overexert myself as a result of not feeling the full extent of the post-op pain. That was a rough surgery, in my opinion. But I imagine it cannot compare at all to a spine surgery, 4 vertebrae fusion. My husband's surgery did not work out in the end. We are in the process of seeking out other future treatment at this point.

flag | Submitted April 1, 2015

Upon arrival well in advance of my appt., staff had information regarding another medical condition entered into the computer. They had difficulty entering the correct information which delayed my appt. I was not informed of anything until I was getting ready to be seen by the d.r Dr. Melissa Macias then entered the exam room and said she didn't know she needed to see workman's comp. I told her I could find someone else to go to. She said I could do that. I would use the terms rude and disdain in describing her attitude and the way she looked at me when I was describing my physical limitations. At the end of the appt. she apologized for her earlier comment. Staff took my completed intake paperwork at the end of the appt. Shouldn't they have had it initially? I would like to have a 2nd opinion.

Submitted October 11, 2014

Dr Melissa Macias is my Angel sent from Heaven. I had 2 fusions she had performed on my back, as well as a broken piece of my vertebrae that was resting on my ciotic nerve that she removed.I had an accident at work that had caused SEVERE bulging in my L-4,L-5 lower back. So bad that I was contemplating suicide. I didn't feel like a man.I had NEVER felt so low in all my life.I couldn't provide for my family. My Dr referred me to Dr Macias in November 2011.I opened up to her telling her my story and she never interrupted me and felt my pain.She sent me for an MRI and X-ray's the next day.The results got back to her and she scheduled me for surgery within 3 weeks time. God heard my prayers and sent me an Angel.I hadn't been able to walk with my kids trick or treating in 6 years. I had my surgery January 9th 2014 and now I am walking with no pain in my back and the ciotic nerve pain has been eliminated.I Love you Dr Macias, you gave me my life back.God bless you Melissa xoxo.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2014

After my issue was deemed workmans comp, seems Dr. Macias whole demeanor changed towards me. She just kind of pushed me onto someone else. Said she did what she could do, something else is going on. I had Carpal tunnel surgery in right hand/wrist and it never healed, I told her this, even physical therapist told her my numbers weren't getting better. It was very sore and she sent me back to work without restrictions. After one week both arms and hands swelled up and Dr. Asner that was covering for her put me on restrictions then that prompted my work to put me back on Short Term disability. She would sign the papers saying its not her problem anymore. Well Ive been seeing a Neurologist and he did a EMG and guess what I still have severe carpal tunnel in the right hand/wrist she did the surgery on. When she sent me back without even looking at my Job description they threw me right into work and it sent my body into a frenzy. I have been off since. I DO NOT RECOMMEND HER get 2nd opinion

flag | Submitted October 21, 2013

Diagnosed with GBM-- a high grade brain tumor. Struggling with diagnosis, Dr. Macias was great. Compassionate, kind and very, very informative. Helped me and my family navigate through difficult time, now doing well. Oh, and surgery--almost the easiest part- feel great and no signs of tumor . Would recommend highly. Her staff is great too.

flag | Submitted October 3, 2013

Helpful and very informed on condition. Spent time going through MRI --no one else would. Very happy with lumbar surgical outcome--pain is improved so that I can walk and enjoy my family again. Great outcome and would highly recommend.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2013

Dr. Melissa Y. Macias's Credentials

• Medical College Of Wisconsin (Grad. 2002)