Ratings for Dr. Gerald F. Clair

Wow! I was hoping to find an obituary, but is this dinosaur still quacking around State College?I was a 21 year old college coed at Penn State in 1967 and went to Gerald Clair to obtain birth control pills. He refused me the pills, but said that I needed to go into the hospital for three days of testing for an "endocrine evaluation". I missed my first week of classes, as he indicated that the situation was dire and needed to be done soon. My parents' health insurance paid for the hospital stay and tests. On my follow-up appointment with him, he again refused me the birth control pills, telling me that they were not good for "someone in your condition". Then he asked if I had any other sisters in the area. It so happened that my 19 year old sister had recently married and was living with her husband in State College. He said that it was important that she be evaluated by him too. Well, she made an appointment to see him, but she didn't have health insurance at the time, as she was supporting her husband through school on her meager salary as a library aide. In other words, there was no health insurance money to be had in her situation. However, he diagnosed her to have the same condition as I supposedly did, an underactive thyroid, and told both of us we needed to be on synthroid for the rest of our lives. I didn't trust him, and went to the University Health Center to talk with a female doctor there. When I told her what had occurred, she had a look on her face and shook her head as if she had heard this story before. I decided that I didn't trust Dr. Clair, so I stopped taking the synthroid when the first bottle of pills ran out. My sister took hers for the rest of her life. I will be 69 next month and have a functioning thyroid. My sister's thyroid stopped working years ago, after a couple of decades of taking the synthroid, so yes, she now needs to be on it for the rest of her life. Additionally, Dr. Clair prescribed birth control pills for my sister, even though he was assuming that she had the "same condition" as I did. I can only believe that his reasoning for not prescribing me the birth control pills, but prescribing them for her was that her condition was "married" and mine was "single", so it didn't seem to be based on our supposedly similar low thyroid condition. Pompous, controlling, misogynistic - gynecology is the perfect career choice for such a man. I only wish I had written this review sooner.

flag | Submitted August 19, 2015

I started going to Dr. Clair 6 years ago. I was in bad shape at the end of my rope and didn't know what to do next. My doctor was ready to give me a hystorectomy. I was in a lot of pain . Dr Clair interviewed me first and when he strated to examine me he found my problem in a matter of minutes. I had PCOS . He told me to watch my sugar and white carbs, in 3 days all my symptoms disappeared. I can't tell you how grateful I am to him. He has been a wonderul doctor. He has never steered me wrong. He does speak his mind, but it's for our own good. I had times my weight would go up a few pounds, he would say, I would just laugh and make a joke. I hated to see hime retire, I know one thing for sure, I wish I would have went to him years before I did. It would have saved me a lot of trouble I had as a teenager if I would have been diagnosed. I'm much better off and healthier today then I was when I started going to him. He will be missed.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2015

Please do not go to this doctor. I am in my early 20's and have left on several occasions in tears. I show him studies and challenge what he says and he belittles it. He has even belittled previous doctors for birth controls I was on. Every problem I have he blames it on my weight and says I am fighting my diagnosis. I have been doing temp charts for over 2 years with him and had no luck. I always felt so dumb and was scared to ask any questions. I sucked it up and kept trying, but I am switching doctors. I can not take the terrible care or another lecture on diets and vitamin d. I had to cancel an appointment due to my nephew going to Pittsburgh children's hospital(rushed to NICU) and he went off on me about poor scheduling and time management. He said that life happens, but I have to be an adult and plan better for it. I believe after talking with other doctors the only mistake I made was staying so long. PLEASE AVOID! GO ANYWHERE ELSE PLEASE! NO ONE DESERVES THIS TYPE OF CARE!

flag | Submitted June 16, 2014

Gerald Clair - I can't believe he is still practicing- thought he retired years ago. Had a God-complex, and I swear he even once said to me he knew better than God! My delivery was difficult, and I should have had a c-sec. He refused my request to be educated about birthing and pain-killing options, and told me directly to let HIM do his job - "just show up." He gave my mother a total hysterectomy at age 41 for a fibroid tumor. He fed her hormone pills for at least the next 10 years. I discontinued his use when he insisted (via my parents not me!)that my husband & I visit him before family or religious therapy, and he wanted to medicate ME(while my husband continued to beat me)! He also recommended hysterectomy at age 27 due to Endometriosis - To this day his surgery has lingering effects. Survey questions are skewed - staff was great, but that man was close to a masochist! I would NEVER recommend him to anyone, and I'm highly disappointed he is still in practice. Don't go!

flag | Submitted November 22, 2013

My wife has seen Dr. Clair for a few years now. The last time she went, I was in the office with her and met him. In my opinion, I think he's a very intelligent and compassionate doctor. He doesn't push pills, even when that's what clients often want. He's very patient and isn't in a rush to diagnose someone with the wrong condition. He knows what he's doing and he isn't afraid to tell someone what they need to do to improve their health, even if it may offend them. Too many doctors in State College just want to give you a prescription or a shot or something as a quick fix instead of taking the time to figure out what's actually wrong and working on that. I heard a saying one time: "The truth shall set you free, but first it shall make you mad." I would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2013

I went to him a few years ago without a problem, but I happened to gain a little weight since then. He made me feel horrible about myself and called me obsese. At less than 200 pounds I think I am far from it! He says I need to practice the push and slam - push the table away and slam the fridge door. How condescending! I was not there about my weight and I don't want to hear about it -I am not proud of it! He is also very pushy about what he thinks you should do or what birth control you should take. I will NOT be going back!

flag | Submitted August 20, 2012

I wish I would've seen these ratings prior to my visit because this is EXACTLY how he is. The first thing he told me is that he doesn't like patients that question his decisions because he's the doctor and knows what he's doing. "If you don't like your doctor then get a new one." Then he mocked me over and over again for not wanting to change birth control pills. Also sent in cultures for STDs that I specifically asked not to, and now I am stuck with that lab bill. When I complained about this, the receptionist was rude. Infuriating that this guy doesn't listen. Also very pushy about Vit D. I understand there MAY be a correlation with cancer, but it's my option as a patient as to whether or not I want that test. At my age, I don't find this relevant, and because I have a science background, I don't believe that 1 vitamin rules over your entire health. I was not impressed with how condescending he was because I didn't agree with him. I will be taking his advice and getting a new doctor.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2012

After reading the prior reviews for this complete QUACK of a doctor everything I've thought about my experience is true, sad that others had to experience the same thing. I would never return to Dr. Clair's office for anything, he is by far the worst doctor I have ever seen. Unprofessional, rude and thinks he knows about things that are out of his area of speciality that he has no business making calls on. I only went to see him one time and it was not my choice, it was a horrific experience, so bad that it took me 5 years to go have a pelvic exam again by a different person, and even longer than 5 years to be seen by a male physician. I would NEVER advise anybody to go see this physician.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2012

I found this guy to be condescending and not very helpful - he was much more interested in talking at length about the role of vitamin d in breast cancer prevention (I don't even have a family history of breast cancer) than my birth control options. About 3 weeks after a routine visit I was asked to make another apointment as he had "some things he needed to discuss regarding my lab results". I naturally assumed it was something at least mildly serious (an abnormal smear result for example) - but it turned out that my vitamin d levels were lower than he would like. I had to waste an hour of my time to get this piece of information that could easily have been provided over the phone or in a letter. And of course I was charged for this visit.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2009

FANTASTIC DOCTOR :-)!!!!! Take his time and really cares about his patients. I would reccommend him to others. He also have a very friendly nurse.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2009

Dr. Gerald F. Clair's Credentials

• Jefferson Medical College Of Thomas Jefferson University (Grad. 1956)

Top Hospitals in State College, PA