Ratings for Dr. Samual C. Craft

Dr. Craft's staff is probably the nicest thing he has going for him. I'm a 22 year old female, and I went to Dr. Craft seeking birth control. He talked to me about the IUD, which I agreed to do. The day I came to get it put in, I arrived early, but waited 45 minutes more than I should've for him to arrive back from whatever hospital he was at. The IUD insertion went fine, and I went home. A few days later, I started to get extremely emotional, to the point where I was destroying relationships and even contemplating suicide. This is not how I usually act by any means, so I knew it had to be the IUD. The next day, I called his nurse and she got me in the next day after I told her about the suicidal thoughts. When he came into the room the day I wanted my IUD removed, he looked at me like I was an idiot and asked me why I wanted it removed. I told him that I felt extremely unlike myself on the IUD, and that I wanted it out. He told me that the IUD wouldn't cause me to feel the way I was feeling, but took it out anyway. I talked to his nurse, and she told me that the IUD made her act crazy as well, even though he had just tried to tell me the IUD wouldn't change my personality like that. I asked the nurse if I could just be put on birth control pills instead, and she said yes. I left to go get my script filled at my near-by pharmacy, when I got a call from Dr. Craft himself. He told me, word for word, "I refuse to give you any other kinds of birth control until you get your mental problems checked out by a behavioral health specialist," and then hung up on me. So not only did he try to tell me that the IUD had nothing to do with my sudden and drastic change in personality, but he REFUSED to give me any other kind of contraception, and accused me of having mental problems. I will NEVER go to this OB/GYN again.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2017

My sister was having her first child. Her water broke and, understandably, she was a bit tense. She called her OBGYN, Dr. Craft, who told her she should come to his office (not the hospital). We insisted she go to the hospital, which she did. The nurse said she should have came to the hospital because when the water breaks, there is a risk of infection. After observing my sister, the nursing staff contacted Dr. Craft. When he finally arrived, he walked in looked at my sister and the nurse and said, "I thought you said that this was going to be quick, I don't want to change out of my clothes for this." He proceeded to grumble and left the room. The nurses had to search for him in the hospital, at one point I overheard the nurse say that she may hvae to deliver the baby. It was obvious to me and our family that the nursing staff had NO respect for Dr. Craft. After Dr. Craft was located, he came in delivered the baby and left. Grumbling all the while.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2012

I had a horrible experience with Dr. Craft. he was OK throuout my pregnancy visits but when it came to the delivery of my child he didn't show up! On my last visit he told me not to call him when I go to the hospital since he doesn't like to waken up in the middle of the night. I went through labor without him (nurse had called him many times), pushed for three hours and then was informed my abby was stuck and I would have to have a C-section. We had to wait for Dr. Craft for an hour. My daughter was stuck so bad, the doctor's hardly got her out, she ended up at the NICU in very serious condition. I strongly believe that if I wouldn't have to wait so long to have her delivered she would have been born without so many problems. When I confronted Dr. Craft afterwards asking him why didn't he come and why did we have to wait fro him so long after the decision of C-section was made, he didn't have the answer. Later I found out it's typical for him. I simply have no words...

flag | Submitted June 10, 2011

The first time I was pregnant and found out I needed a D & C due to a missed miscarriage, Dr. Craft seemed fairly caring. 9 months after that I became pregnant again. He was fairly rude, always in a hurry, and never really answered questions completely. Also it seemed that he made sure that he was never to be blamed for anything that went wrong. When I finally delivered, (10 days overdue w/ an induction) I had to stop pushing and wait about 45 minutes for him to arrive. That's not exactly easy. All in all the delivery turned out fine, but the lack of bedside manner doesn't do a thing for me. Emily Dr. Crafts Medical Assistant is absoluetly wonderful. After I realized that I only was staying with him because I liked her, I decided it was time to move on to a new OBGYN.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2011

With all my respect this Doctor needs to retire. He was only great the very first visit. After that he was HORRIBLE!!! I was expecting my first baby, he rushed me, always made me feel uncomfortable and stupid. Emily, his nurse is great, but that's it. The day I was delivering he was asking if he should go golfing first?!?! When I was finally ready to deliver, he was 45 minutes late and made me wait after he knew I was in 28 hours of labor. Now that I am more knowledgable, I have learned that something serious could have happened to my son. I would NOT RECOMEND DR. CRAFT. I've heard he is a great surgeon, but his bedside manners are horrible!

flag | Submitted December 6, 2010

Dr. Craft could spend more time giving complete and accurate informed consents prior to surgeries. Send written materials home with patients. Most doctors do not provide detailed informed consents, however. Sometimes rushed. I agree with previous writer re: scripted monologues. In all fairness, after years of specialty practice, it is normal to construct scripts. However, doctor must ask the patient if they have questions, and do so more than once. He has a friendly bedside manner AND is a skillful surgeon. Not a very common combination. GENERAL COMMENT: OB-GYN docs are often late because of deliveries. Never use that excuse if not legit. Most docs are relationally stilted, and emotionally insular. So, if you have a doctor who is a socially adept, superb communicator, keep 'em. I would recommend Dr. Craft, but not to high maintenance gals. Staff could triage other doctors calls & take messages. NEVER transfer calls into an exam room except for an emergency.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2008

Dr. Craft's bedside manner is terrible. I became pregnant my first month off the pill. My first meeting with him was when I was 10 weeks pregnant. I had become pregnant my first month off the pill. He was completely rude about the fact that I did not wait the standard 3 months after coming of BCP. He was also rude about my weight, and I am not overweight. The next appointment I saw him, the nurse was trying to find the baby's heartbeat. She was unable to find it, thus leaving me a little freaked out. She asked him to come into the room to help. He seemed completely put off that he had to do this. He then insulted her right in front of me. Thank goodness the following month my insurance changed and I was able to switch back to the doctor who delivered my first child.

flag | Submitted April 1, 2008

treats me with respect, knowledgeable, stopped cervical cancer before it could take hold. Takes his time during appts. to answer all questions.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2008

Dr.Crafts receptionist is great and that's it. You do wait up to 1 hr to see him. On the day I delivered 5 weeks early, he came into the hospital room and told me I must have done something to cause early delivery. I was so guilted by this. Then he told me he was too sick to do the delivery and direct me to a new doctor. After the delivery I went to visit him and he told me the reason for the premature birth was from physical trama or a "freak accident". I had no trama and I don't know about you but "a freak accident" is not an answer. I am pregnant again. Would you go back to someone who accused you of causing your child to suffer weeks in a NIC unit when you KNOW you were a great Mommy? NO.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2008

Dr. Craft convinced me that he knew his job and that he was a good doctor. However, he always seemed too busy to talk to me or answer questions. The wait to see him was usually over an hour in a packed waiting room. Our first *real* coversation was during my 8th month and I deleveloped preclampsia and his conversation seemed scripted rather than real. Dr. Craft seems like he's just going through the motions of being a doctor ... waiting to retire.

flag | Submitted May 21, 2007

Dr. Samual C. Craft's Credentials

• Medical College Of Wisconsin (Grad. 1976)

MSP/BC Med