Ratings for John H. Rathauser

In my treatment with Dr. Rathauser, we partnered to uncover trauma that I was totally unaware of, but deeply and painfully suffering from. It was a difficult process to say the least but the modality of dynamic psychotherapy that he practices (Davanloo's-ISTDP) goes to the root cause of a patient's symptoms and so is not 'on the surface' and only about symptom relief. It aims for lasting character changes and an understanding of unconscious forces driving a patient to suffer and self sabotage. I can understand if someone feels it is not for them. However, the fact remains that Dr. Rathauser is not only a Master Clinician technically but also a therapist with tremendous integrity and someone who deeply cares about his patients on a human level.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2019

After seeking help from multiple therapists over the years, I was helped in ways never before offered to be free of debilitating anxiety and depression. This form of therapy is very different from other forms of treatment and created changes that were simply life changing.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2018

As a psychologist I am always curious about viewing other ratings, and find some of these to be disturbing if not outright disingenuous. One of the evaluations gives a rating of 1 for all four factors. But psychologists typically do not have staff, and so this is purely malicious. Another person speaks of being traumatized over five years but seems to have no sense that they had an ability and responsibility to leave if they were displeased with Dr. Rathauser. And then there is the person who states they were too frightened, essentially, to be honest. To my knowledge this is not a violent or threatening man. My story is different, in that I came to know of Dr. Rathauser through of variety of people, some of them psychologists and physicians, who had nothing but the highest regard for his abilities. Indeed he pushes and probes, and gets people to face difficult emotions, but this is part of what growth involves. It will not be for those who chose to conceal their honest feelings. Like many of the people I knew who had also seen Dr. Rathauser for their therapy, we often came with a background of multiple treatment failures. I had all but given up hope of change. This work altered my life, freeing me from multiple symptoms as well as relationship difficulties. For the record, he is never late for a session as these evaluations falsely imply, and I can only give him the highest of endorsements, as have the many professionals I know who have also seen him.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2014

I have been through many therapeutic treatments over time, all of which have never helped to resolve my difficulties. Yes, this is a challenging form of treatment, but made all the difference in changing my life in a new and better direction. I remain very much indebted to Dr. Rathauser for his help, and have referred many friends and family members to him. And consistently their feedback was unanimously positive.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2014

i was probably one of dr rathausers first patients in1980. those five yrs with him traumatized me for a long time. just be careful with this man. if i had been an adult at the time, i would have ceased therapy immediately and saved a lot of money. just be careful, thats all i can say.

flag | Submitted November 5, 2013

Davanloo therapy is very difficult and often confrontational. You will have success only if you are willing to self-examine your own feelings . Dr. Rathauser is a Davanloo expert. He is most compassionate. The therapy is life-changing.

flag | Submitted August 25, 2013

Consider your choice very carefully if you are planning to see Dr. Rathauser. His confrontational approach borders on abusive. I only visited once and had a terribly traumatic experience. He did not create a safe environment, but rather, chose to confront me in a manner that was quickly overwhelming. When I left, I scheduled my next appointment with him not because I wanted to go, but because I was afraid to say no in his presence. He also videotapes his sessions and this is a requirement of working with him. The tapes may be shown to others for "training purposes". I am sure Dr. Rathauser has helped many people, but if you are someone who does not want to open themselves up for other people to watch for "training" or you need a safe space to be created before opening up, he is not for you.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2013

Very helpful. Very direct and to the point. This is a difficult type of therapy. Not for everyone. It can be confrontational at times. Dr. Rathauser is wonderful. I have recommended him to others and will continue to do so.

flag | Submitted August 12, 2011