Ratings for Dr. Chad Abernathey

Dr. Abernathy has performed two cervical Discectomy and fusions on me over the past ten years, last one performed Thursday. I owe him a huge debt of gratitude for the pain and numbness that has been alleviated on both occasions (the first surgery was for two fusions in my neck and the second for another fusion and removal of the plates previously inserted). This man is a Godsend to me and we should be honored to have him practice in this area. He is always very prompt and professional. I have read other reviews here that discuss his "bedside manner" that disturbs me greatly. He is tremendous professional and is to the point. What do you want, a prompt surgeon who has respect for your time and is extremely skilled or an average doctor who makes you feel warm and fuzzy? As mentioned on a recent review, he has a dry wit that I like and there is no other surgeon anywhere that I would out my trust in more than Dr. Abernathy.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2017

Dr. Abernathy performed Anterior Cervical Disectomy and Fusion on me in May 2015. He is amazing. The stiffness, numbness and constant pain is gone. I don't even have the glimpse of a scar on my neck. He performed my husband's back surgery and again another successful surgery. I have read the reviews about Dr. Abernathy and would have to say that when you go see him be prepared for his no frills approach. He's ranked in the top 10 neurosurgeon's in the nation. He came from Mayo and knows his stuff. He won't operate just to operate. He reviews the MRI's prior to your appointment so he tells you straight out what you are dealing with and the options. He has a dry sense of humor but is actually a funny guy. Personally, I like his approach. I don't want to be operated on if there are other options. I also don't want to spend hours having someone console me. I appreciate that he does his homework before I get there and gets everything right out in the open. He's the guy with the degree, I'm not going to tell him how to do his job. His staff as well as Mercy tells you several times that if there are complications - go to Urgent Care or the emergency room. He has always greeted myself and my husband when he walks in. He asks what's going on and then tells you what your options are. Maybe some people want more warm and fuzzies but my time is money and I prefer to lay it out and make a decision. I would recommend him to anyone and have all the confidence in the world in his abilities.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2015

He barely acknowledged me and barely glanced at my MRI. He did not examine me or ask me questions. He just said, "who sent you here? Your MRI is fine.". He didn't care and just dismissed me like trash.

flag | Submitted October 11, 2015

Dr. Abernathy did a decompression surgery on me in Nov 2008 at L4/L5 and I was VERY sick, vomiting post-op.......I called the office time and time again telling the receptionist and nurse that "something is WRONG" the first couple of times, they were sympathetic and once, he even called in PT for me and steroids but after that-not so sympathetic.......I kept calling and calling-the nurse was downright NASTY the last time even telling me "you need to realize you just had major surgery and you need to give yourself time to recover" and at the 3 week mark, I could not sit, stand or walk and could only lay in one position........my husband had to carry me to the bathroom........I spent FOUR DAYS like that and on day #4, I finally told my hubby to carry me to the truck and take me to UIHC because I knew they have an MRI machine and I knew that was what I needed.........yeah, I would say so........so, the resident there discharged me home (I am quite certain he got in trouble because first thing the next morning, the secretary called me and said that the Attending had reviewed my MRI and how fast could I get there because I needed emergency surgery and I should have had it last night for Caudal Equina Syndrome) anyhow, once we got in the truck to get home, my hubby called Dr. Abernathy's service and demanded to talk to the Dr. He had no idea about my problems, I told him how bad I was and he told us to get up the next morning and be at his office first thing and to bring the disc from the MRI and labs I just had at UIHC. So, we had just passed the I-80 interchange (we live S of there and use 218 to travel) when the U called and told me that and I said that I had just passed Ia City on my way to see Dr A. We got there, Dr A walked in the room, took one glance at the MRI and said "you want me to fix this right" (by this time I think I would have allowed my 5 year old to operate using a butter knife) and then buzzed the nurse and told he to "take her upstairs and she goes to the front of the line" yeah-all good right..........NOT........my problem is that when I came to, the first time I saw Dr A, he told me he had to remove the entire disc and he "rolled up a piece of gauze to maintain the disc space and I think you will do just fine" and then, I found out later that he had told my hubby the same thing when he went out and talked to him...........I don't know who would do that ESPECIALLY when my hubby HAS POA........so, since that time, I have been in agony and this past Sept (2014) I had to have another decompression, and the 2 awesome neurosurgeons I have worked with since both thought it was insane that Dr. A did that and during this past surgery, the neurosurgeon had to remove a golf ball size knot of scar tissue from between the vertebrae and the nerve root was in the middle of it.......he said that it was because of what Dr. A did............he crippled me FOR LIFE-I was 34...........my life since then has been centered around trying to be as pain free as possible; I will have this terrible pain for the rest of my life

flag | Submitted April 27, 2015

I had surgery with Chad in April and wow I'm a new person. I couldn't sleep, hardly walk and in pain 24/7. Now tomorrow II'm going in for a cervical fusion,none related I have all trust in him and wouldn't want anyone else do it. I've read where others have more problems than before the surgery, I'm. sorry they dont have Dr. Abernathey . I feel very fortune to have him close and would recommended him to anyone thank you Dr. My husband is 3 weeks out from surgery and is doing great.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2015

my first back surgery was a great success, my back felt like nothing ever happened to it , but now more disk have deterioted and in need of longer rods to correct the problem and I am staying Dr Abernathy

flag | Submitted December 6, 2014

He is an amazing doctor!!! One in a million!!! Wouldn't go anywhere else!

flag | Submitted October 27, 2014

My husband had anterior cervical neck surgery. When he awoke, his right arm was numb. Post op week one, the muscles were shrinking in his right arm and back. On his post op visit his scapula was "winging", sticking way out. Dr. Said "this is right where I want you". Unbelievable. He had to undergo 4 hour surgery at the U with a real surgeon and still has a numb arm due to previous nerve damage. I wouldn't trust him to treat my dog. And you can't even try to sue him as he has lawyers all the way to Des Moines in his scrub pocket.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2014

Dr Abernathey should be ashamed, he picks and chooses who he wishes to help, no matter how severe the spinal injury,

flag | Submitted August 27, 2014

Chad Abernathey did my first two lumbar surgeries in 2007. He explained was work related but would have nothing to do with work comp. Did 1st surgery and I was back in a month due to him not removing all bone spurs. Said I was to blame for moving out of bed wrong. After 2 surgery I continued to have numbing in left leg and still pain in back. 2009 I was brought to hospital by ambulance, back gave out and couldn't walk. I was suppose to get injections that day. I over heard Dr Abernathy arguing with the ER Dr. About doing 3rd surgery. He felt I should just get injections. ER Dr said 3rd surgery was needed. Did so. Went back a week later to have stitches removed. Could barely walk. He said I was fine. Explained it hurt to walk. Did MRI, again another bone spur. 4th emergency surgery. Never said to do physical therapy. Continued pain went to differ Dr. 5th surgery was a fusion to fix what he did. Still having issues. Being told now to young for anything further. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND EVER

Submitted July 23, 2014

Dr. Chad Abernathey's Credentials

• University Of Iowa College Of Medicine (Grad. 1983)

Top Hospitals in Cedar Rapids, IA