Ratings for Dr. Umesh Shah

The procedure performed by Dr. Shah on me: 1) Upper Endoscopy Followed immediately by a: 2) Colonoscopy I was admitted Chino Medical Center the night before with symptoms. The morning of my emergency procedure Dr. Shah showed up at my bedside with two people in street clothes. A male and a female in their early twenties. He did not introduce them to me and did not discuss the procedure or give me any awareness as to what to expect. I was not told I would not be in a normal surgical suite. This guy has no bedside manners whatsoever either. He is nothing more than a mechanic-and a bad one at that. Back in 2008 my long time GP doctor referred my to a gastroenterologist for a routine colonoscopy. I met with this GI specialist prior to the procedure and he explained everything I could expect including that I would be in a surgical suite (operating room) under a general anesthesia that makes you both unconscious and unable to feel pain during medical procedures. When I pushed back a little and asked was that really necessary I was told absolutely and I would regret it if I didn’t, due to serious pain that I would suffer. So naturally I agreed and before the procedure was put under with propofol, a very light and modern general anesthetic. It was cake walk. I was in and out in about one hour. Back to Dr Shah. So they wheeled me into not a surgery suite but an office. One of the nurses gave me a pain shot and the idiot jammed the long tube down my throat while I was still awake and the so-called pain medication had not even kicked in. I was gagging while experiencing excruciating pain when I noticed the two kids were present in the room (still in their street clothes) presumably to observe. Now you need to understand that act of allowing these kids in this environment broke medical protocol big time. He is required by law to have any patient sign a release in order to allow a any non-staff caregivers to observe an invasive medical procedure. So by the time they got to the colonoscopy I had an unknown twenty-something year old girl in street cloths watching close-up while this probe was being jammed up my rear end. All the while, I was screaming and in, by far, the worst pain I have ever experienced. I also felt violated because I knew this so-called "MD" was way off-base letting these two kids into the room. It was an outrage. Trust me on this one. Like I said, I have been present, either filming or observing many surgical procedures and I was always dressed in scrubs and given a copy of the signed release, by not just the patient, but everyone present for my records. Here is part of a email I sent to Dr. Lally, the attending physician at Chino Medical Center where all this happened. "In case you don't know, I spoke with Dr. Shah last week about the excruciating pain I experienced and he made some shocking statements to me as follows: a) He actually said "if I was in pain I should have said something." Of course that was impossible with an apparatus jammed down my throat! b) Next he claimed he was not aware I was in pain (even though I was gagging on the instrument when it was down my throat. Than he admitted he upped the amount of pain medication due to my overt groaning once the lower was underway. Check the paperwork for proof that the pain medication was inadequate and he tried to increase it but of course it was way too late. c) Next he said he denied the unwelcome intruders were even present during the procedure but when I called him on it–by reminding him these two individuals accompanied him our my bedside discussion prior to the procedure. He finally admitted they were part of his entourage. d) He stated he was unaware he needed written permission from me for these people to be present. A VERY UNPROFESSIONAL AND A LAME EXCUSE. CVMC is responsible for this breach of privacy because, though you deny that he is an employee, it's your facility and you should have a policy in place in this regard. e) I asked him why I was not put under a "General" and he stated he "doesn’t believe in it," and abruptly terminated the conversation. f) Dr. Shah is, in my opinion, is a neanderthal medical practitioner. Honestly, I felt like I was on a gurney at Auschwitz-Birkenau and was being experimented on by Joseph Mengele. Contemporary pain management was definitely sorely lacking and I paid a high pain index price which was NOT necessary. This because Dr. Shah doesn’t care if a patient suffers unnecessarily–which was clear from my phone discussion with him." Dr. Lally, to his credit, after he heard this, he offered to accept only my insurance payment for this $35,000+ (shocking cost for 18 hours in the hospital). And Dr. Lally said to me he was going to nail this quack. (quack is my word not Dr. Lally's. he used a different unflattering word which I can't remember) Don't even think about going near the guy! At least not for medical care.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2014

Dr. Shah is one of the best doctors I have ever met. He has saved my life with his medical knowledge. He is also a very caring doctor who is always there for you.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2008

Dr. Umesh Shah's Credentials

• Hindi

• Med Coll, Baroda Univ, Baroda, Gujarat, India (Grad. 1976)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal