Dr. Albert Schlisserman

Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Albert Schlisserman

I recently was referred to Dr. Schlisserman for cataract surgery. I has issues with glare and halos at night that interfered with driving. I had a consultation by Dr. Bulis who asked if I wanted to improved distant vision, which I replied yes. She also said that I had astigmatism in my left eye. I mentioned that I was told by my doctor that I had corneal scarring in both eyes. After examine my eyes, she said it wasn’t scarring, but instead Salzmann nodules. There was one in the right eye and two in the left eye. And that I probably always had the astigmatism. She then explained the procedure for my left eye using LenSX. The procedure would cost an additional $2500 since it was not covered by insurances. Dr. Schlisserman then came in examined my eyes and said that the cataract in my right eye was very bad. He asked if I had any questions about the procedure, which I didn’t, and to call the office if I did. My husband accompanied me to my appointment. Though the sign on the front door said family members should be with patients, my husband was told that they were only doing testing and he could remain to the waiting area. Never at any point was he invited in nor was I aware that this would be the only time we would be speaking with the doctors prior to surgery. After the surgery on my right eye, I had floaters that filled most of my peripheral vision. I was told in recovery that this was normal. But I became concern over the amount and wanted to know when I could expect them to resolve. After searching on the internet, I first became aware of the different lens options available to patients and procedures for correcting near and intermediate vision, as well as distance. Never at any time did either Dr. Bulis or Dr. Schlisserman discussed these options with me or provided me any information regarding this. Nor did they consider my lifestyle or my job that requires that I be on the computer most of the day. When I met with them on the first op day follow-up, I asked which lens did they implant. Dr. Schlisserman’s response was, “We gave you the best vision for someone over 40.” Only after I asked a second time, did he tell me that it was a monofocal lens, which he again repeated that he gave the best vision for someone over 40. I have since cancelled my second surgery on my left eye and have sought a second opinion. I am 62 and I have discovered that I only have slight cataracts in both eyes. Also, the astigmatism I have in my left eye is mild and is due to the nodules. And though Salzmann nodules can reoccur, the standard practice is to remove prior to cataract surgery. What is not recommended is to use a toric lens to correct the astigmatism, which is what was Dr. Schlisserman and Dr. Bulis has planned. If you are seeking a conventional approach for cataracts with monofocal lens set at distance, then I am sure Dr. Schlisserman has probably done thousands of surgeries using this procedure. However, if you are interested in a personalized approach where all your options are explained to you and you are included in the decision making process, I recommend that you seek another doctor. Also, if the surgery is complicated by corneal abberations, you would be wise to seek a second opinion by a surgeon who is skilled in this area.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2018

doctor very helpful

flag | Submitted November 13, 2008

Dr. Albert Schlisserman's Credentials

• State University Of New York At Buffalo School Of Medicine (Grad. 1977)