Ratings for Dr. Shira Varon

At my first meeting with her, she was very excited to work with me and provided a path forward for my diagnosis/treatment (she was very thorough). Her excitement was profound, in that 'she loves what she does for a living'(helping women who suffer from fibroids)! and is unafraid of challenges! Surgery happened on 3/05/2019; Dr. Varon removed a very large fibroid (12x 12x 8 cm, 904 g) via laparoscopic myomectomy. Wow, WOW!! how/wha..? Overall, the surgery went very well. She had called me post-op to make sure everything was ok since surgery took longer than expected and I ended being admitted overnight. In addition, patients don't realise the immense amount of ppwrk involved taking a Leave of absence/disability post-surgery- however, Dr. Varon and one I would call most revered, [Alma V.], took care of all my ppwrk and I couldnt be more happier. She's my superhero:)))) and will be forever, forever, FOREVER! be grateful to her.

flag | Submitted April 16, 2019

This year was a challenging one to find out for the first time that I had fibroids growing in my body (many and significant sizes). I was referred initially to another OBGYN whose bedside manner was unpleasant and embarrassing. My primary doctor then recommended UCSD and I found Dr. Varon. Upon my initial visit she made me feel comfortable. She was so patient, kind, informative and honest. She answered all my questions at appointments and through email. I had a myomectomy in Nov. 2018 and all went well. Dr. Varon and her staff were absolutely amazing. I'm happy to say she will be my new OBGYN and hopefully for a long time!

flag | Submitted December 21, 2018

I recently had a myomectomy ( 20 plus fibroids) with Dr. Varon. As a R.N. myself, I went into our initial consultation with a lot of questions and concerns. Dr. Varon spent a lot of time answering my questions and provided me with realistic expectations. I never felt any pressure to undergo surgery. She educated me regarding the pros and cons of surgery and answered all of my questions. Dr. Varon and her staff ( including Dr. Melber) made me feel so comfortable on my operative day. I’m so grateful to Dr. Varon at her team for the outstanding care I received and I highly recommend her for anyone considering a myomectomy.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2018

Dr. Varon did a laparoscopic myomectomy on my huge fibroid. I didn't want to have hysterectomy and Dr. Varon listened to what I wanted and just removed the fibroid from my uterus laparoscopically. I have just a few tiny scars and they are already barely visible after 2 weeks. Recovery has been fast and easy. I consider surgery to be a success and very thankful to Dr. Varon for doing a great job. It's been only 2 weeks after my surgery and I already feel much better than I felt in years.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2018

I chose Dr. Varon to be my surgeon due to her expertise in fibroid surgery. I had a full hysterectomy due to extremely large fibroids that were causing pelvic pain, frequent urination, heavy menstruation. The fibroids were the size of a 20 week pregnancy and clearly visible. My surgery went very well. I was at UCSD Medical Center two nights and had no complications. I am now six weeks post-surgery and I feel so much better! I am able to sleep through the night without having to get up to use the bathroom, something prior to my surgery I had to do 4-5 times a night. My stomach is flat again which is an added bonus! The best thing of all is I don't have to deal with heavy periods ever again. Thank you Dr. Varon !

flag | Submitted July 2, 2018

I have been in Dr. Varon’s care for 3 pregnancies. I always felt that my babies and I were in the best hands medically. She’s not only very bright, professional and knowledgeable in her field, but she brings a warmth and compassion that cannot be taught in medical school. It’s simlply who she is as a person. You can tell she truly cares about her patients and takes pride in her profession. She respected my wishes for trying to have natural VBAC’s after a C-Section and was incredibly supportive of my birth plans, which I believe had a large impact in my ability to believe in myself that I could accomplish my ideal labor and deliveries. Dr. Varon is a wonderful doctor and any patient who chooses her as their OBGYN are lucky to have her! Highly recommend her!!

flag | Submitted May 20, 2018

I came to Dr. Varon after receiving news of possible cancer from another doctor and I was scared. Dr Varon calmed me and gave me hope. She did the appropriate procedure and told me she would call me with the results as soon as she got them . She really cared! And she followed through on her word and called me herself a couple days later with the news and my next step. She is amazing! I would highly recommend her.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2018

Dr. Shira Varon's Credentials

• Spanish

• George Washington University School Of Medicine (Grad. 2002)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal