Ratings for Dr. Sylvia Gearing

A sad state of affairs at this place. Sylvia is great but only assessment's, but doesn't help her clients. She passes you off to unprofessional floundering councilors. They aren't helpful or knowledgeable. Sylvia sets up all these tests which seem like they should have a path to take once diagnosis is given. But no, its just fluff. The councilor set to see my husband was late by 30 minutes, she wasn't even in the building. Never called to apologize or to reschedule the session. Only phone call he received was a confirmation on his next session with the same incompetent woman. This place is all about the flash and games. Not really out to help anyone.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2017

People choose to come to Gearing Up because they have an emotional matter and are seeking help. I feel that this office should be more empathetic to their clients needs. We are essentially hiring them to help us, not add additional stress or trauma. Unfortunately, they are not very good at avoiding this. They do not communicate a "plan" with the patient. They merely insist that you set appointments for a group meeting and an appointment with an individual therapist. If you are not able to attend, they charge you $85!! So if I were to have a meeting come up at work and cannot make the appointment, it will cost me. That does not exactly eliminate any stress in my life. We found out that the duration of the group meeting to completion is about 9 months. That is a lot of co-pays in addition to the co-pay for the counselor. So before you go to the Gearings, make sure that you have the funds to afford it. Also make sure that you do not have any other plans for the next year because cancelling will cost you.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2017

They put me through a battery of testing which took about two weeks to get the feedback. Never was an explanation made between this and the therapy. Then they put me in group with was apparently MANDATORY - again never explained. When I called to cancel an appointment because I could not AFFORD it, I got a NASTY voicemail explaining that they could not treat me any longer. I drug myself to my therapy session and sat there and wept. I never got to speak with the Doctors. Their website states a sliding scale - I did not see that....do not go there unless you can afford the co-pay for 2-3 sessions per week. Perhaps their method works, but I was not there long enough to gain the "fruits" of their knowledge and they ended up kicking me to the curb because I am on a fixed income and my co-pay for both MANDATORY sessions was 1/4 of my income. This policy was not explained to me - nor did I ever speak to one of the doctors regarding the duress I experienced over the past two days. I hope to at least get a copy of my records because I NEED them. They probably set me back several months and now I wonder if I should consider simply checking myself into a hospital and have them throw away the key.

flag | Submitted March 17, 2017

Gearing Up has changed my life for the better! I went two years ago for severe depression and learned so many coping skills and how to manage my depression. I stopped going after a while because I felt I had my life and emotions in order. I started going back this year after going through a very difficult divorce and also becoming the caregivers to my elderly parents. I felt I needed help managing my depression again and getting a refresher on coping skills. I know, without a doubt, that if I hadn't learned the skills a few years ago from Gearing Up, I would not have handled the life changing events nearly as well. Since returning to treatment, I've also added a group counseling class once a week on top of my individual counseling. This has been a huge help learning how to deal with life's challenges by using Mindfulness and Distress Tolerance. I believe without the help from Gearing Up and their counselors, that I would be unable to work and function on a daily basis. They have given me the skills I need to make it through these difficult situations and use it in every day stresses as well. If you need a counselor, I would definitely recommend Gearing Up!

flag | Submitted October 19, 2016

The Gearings helped save my marriage in 2005. Dr. Sylvia Gearing has given me my life back time and time again in dealing with depression an anxiety. I highly recommend this practice to anyone who wants to learn how to live their best life. Now my youngest daughter is learning essential coping skills from one of her amazing counselors. This is the BEST place in Dallas because they care about getting you better and not staying in the same traps.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2015

Don't bother with this place. The office staff is kind and helpful, but there is very high counselor turnover- what does that say about the practice? You'd be better off finding a place with stability and people who actually care about the clients and not just their money.

flag | Submitted February 28, 2015

Dr Silvia gearing I lied because I tried to take over the world, of course i faied due to my stature Maurice82149@gmail.com. Happy new year

flag | Submitted December 27, 2014

Even though Gearing Up was a long drive, we chose their office based on a friend's recommendation. I liked Dr. Gearing and her associates. However, I have a big issue with their billing policies. I understand having a 24 hr cancelation fee, but $85 is the highest one I have every heard of in a doctor's office. We got nailed with that one time. Due to our crazy spring schedule, it was difficult for us to get our son to his weekly sessions, so we chose to take a break for 3 months. When we decided to then try someone closer to home, I called to get a medical records release form. I was told that my son's file had been archived and it would be a $150 fee! That is absolutely ridiculous! I did not pay that crazy fee and my son will be starting over with a new Dr. and sadly repeating all of the psych testing that he had just completed last fall. Totally unprofessional, unethical and a crappy thing to do to your patients. $150 to get records from 3 months ago! Shame on you!

flag | Submitted April 21, 2014

Very unprofessional. The office manager needs to be fired for her inability to schedule appts and for her lack of intigrity! If you decide to ignore the over whelming negative reviews and go anyways do NOT give them the ability to charge your credit card. Also do NOT pay more than you know you will owe with a promise of money being refunded if insurance pays. I'm still trying to get back about 120 that I paid them upfront and then my insurance paid too. It's been several months and I still don't have my refund.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2014

Gearing up is more about MONEY than about helping people. Would NOT go back nor recommend anyone else to go. Save your money and hire someone who cares. Ive seen other counselors in my life and this was by far the worst experience EVER. The staff is rude and does NOT care about your situation and even though Dr Gearing is nice, after you meet with her once you will never see her again. She just hands you off to one of her employees to handle and looks for more clients. Just not impressed.

flag | Submitted February 22, 2014