Ratings for Dr. Dathan A. Paterno

Opinionated and unbending in following a single line of thinking. Mental health has many pathways to success - Paterno is not one of them.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2017

Made me feel unsafe. My meetings with him felt like a waste of time. I wish I had never gone to him for therapy, as I believe I could have started recovery much sooner with the help of a real, competent therapist.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

Dr. Paterno saw my son for close to 4 years. My son was very angry about his relationship with his father. He helped him overcome many issues. My son is now a happy well adjusted young man.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2017

Dr Paterno is a misogynist. He also denies that there is a genetic or biological component to mental illness. He should not be trusted to give even casual advice to anyone, much less be authorized to act as a mental health physician.

Submitted January 23, 2017

Dr. Paterno helped my daughter tremendously. Just because he expressed his political opinion via Twitter, there is no need to attack him on a professional level. As a woman, I found the march ridicules. The march was supposed to be promoting love, but all I saw were woman spewing negative comments towards our President. I also found it repulsive that grown woman were dressed as vaginas. There was children in attendance. Completely disgusting. Dr. Paterno thank you for all that you have done for my family. We could never repay you.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2017

Dr. Paterno is friendly and created a good repport with my son. However, he was dismissive of the severity of my son's mental health issues. In hindsight, my son showed very serious red flags and Dr. Paterno did not catch them. If seeking a psychologist for mild talk therapy, I would recommend. However, for severe issues - he is not the guy.

flag | Submitted November 3, 2015

I met with Dr. Paterno once. His plan was to contact my son's school for observation. Five days later another incident occurred at school. I informed he and he responded quickly, saying he would contact the school ASAP. Perhaps we should have quantified expectations of ASAP, but it has been one month since our last correspondence and he never contacted the school. Yes, I ensured all proper e-mail and phone number contacts were provided for principal and teacher. Unless some horrible tragedy had befallen himself or a loved one I found this man to be astoundingly unprofessional. I know if you are part of the Blue Choice PPO network it can be difficult to find a behavioral health professional in network, but don't do it. We are now seeing Dr. Schroeder with Personal Growth Associates in Schaumburg and much happier.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2014

Whoever gave Dr. Paterno a 1 for Punctuality clearly has never seen him. He's punctual to the minute, never been even a second late. And he knows more about medications than any of the pediatricians I took my son too.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2014

Very weird. Not helpful. Wanted to sell his book. Only went there because it was close.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2014

great at addressing the problem without labeling or giving a diagnosis. very matter of fact and down to business. he has a no nonsense approach

flag | Submitted July 9, 2012