Ratings for Dr. Stephen D. Kronwith

Dr. Kronwith had a disturbingly robotic way of "getting his job done" and a crude way of handling parental concerns even when it came to very important questions that every parent has a right to ask. He also has a poor understanding of the holistic and emotional needs of the infant patient. I would not trust my child in this doctor's care again. I was supposed to have my baby girl seen by Dr. Kronwith while she was at the Neonatal ICU but I requested for the visit to be delayed as she was recovering so well and I needed some time to research whether the test was truly needed. If it was un-necessary, I wanted to opt out of it due to the side effects of the dilation drops that were used in the delicate eyes of the premie. My daughter was able to recover fully and go home before the test was scheduled so I made an outpatient appointment. I had intended to research the side effects of the dilation drops before I went for the appointment but didn't get a chance while trying to adjust to having a premie at home. I planned to ask the doctor prior to the procedure instead. When we walked into his office, he didn't take a second to greet or introduce himself and rather went 'straight to business'. After getting all his routine questions answered as fast as possible, he reached for the drops to start the process. Overwhelmed by his crude ways, I finally interrupted him and asked if he could educate us on the side effects of the dilation drops. He almost laughed and mockingly replied that everything has side effects. "Its like not choosing to drive because you don't want to risk a car accident." He basically made fun of the question and distracted the conversation to share his biased opinion while moving on to the process. I interrupted him again and asked if my daughter could only have one exam instead of two as the drops would be used twice then. Again in his overbearing manner he said no you can't and that it has to be done. Next, he came up to my daughter and while she was sleeping he pulled open the eye lids and dropped the drops in without easing the baby. When she screamed and cried, he said 'Oh she's just crying from being woken up. Its nothing. She'll go right back to sleep.' I finally defended, 'Well, nobody would like to have their eye lids forcefully opened in the middle of their sleep with dilation drops being dropped in.' I remembered what it felt like to have my eyes dilated at the optometrist and to think that a premie who is trying to process so many changes already in such a fragile state wouldn't be at all affected by them sounded bizarre. We had already been told at the NICU that my daughter's heart rate was running high because of stress so we were working hard to restore her feeling of safety. The doctor knew he was dealing with a premie out of NICU and had no knowledge of how to treat one! Upon coming home I looked up the side effects of the drops and here is only one of the articles from the Scientific journals that I found: https://www.elsevier.com/about/press-releases/research-and-journals/new-report-documents-cardiopulmonary-arrest-in-premature-infant-after-cyclomydril-eyedrops To think that despite such serious side effects Dr. Kronwith would behave in the manner that he did, far removes him from my list of trusted doctors. I would not trust him and cancelled my follow up appointment.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2015

Dr. Kronwith shares his office space with two other professionals. The waiting area is messy and not as clean as a doctor's office should be. The staff consists of one person. The wait was about 20 minutes. He is focused, thorough and to the point, but does not have a warm personality. He was the only pediatric opthalmologist, I could find in this area, that would accept GHI. Although my co-pay is $15.00 he charged an additional $45.00, but told me of this fee when I made the appointment. I will be getting a second opinion on a proceedure, that he recommended.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2014

Excellent doctor. Very knowledgeable.Wait was short as was waiting time for appointment.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2013

excellent experience from start to finish. Short wait

flag | Submitted March 5, 2012

Smart, caring, easy to talk to, prompt. My son has been his patient since 1995.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2011

Saw my son as an emergency when others would not. Very happy with care.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2011

Glad to find eye doctor open on a saturday. He took us in right away!

flag | Submitted April 2, 2011

This doctor make you sign papper for extra fee of $45 apart from my insurance before he see the patient.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2011

Dr. Stephen D. Kronwith's Credentials

• Univ Of Miami Sch Of Med, Miami Fl 33101 (Grad. 1984)

MSP/BC Med