Ratings for Dr. Patrick B. MCGRATH

I personally liked him at first. There were a few mistakes I believe he made. Quite honestly, I feel he no longer wanted to be my psychologist. However, I believe he has a lot of book knowledge. I wish he had talked with me that perhaps he had done what he was able to.

flag | Submitted February 22, 2015

He knows a lot about anxiety and about his preferred treatment method, exposure therapy. He is a smart man. He is also rather overbearing. He tolerates no BS, no squirming to get out of doing what you are afraid of because he believes you must do that which you fear in order to get over it. But he takes that a little bit too far, such that there is no room for legitimate disagreement with methodology, because he views any disagreement as part of the pathology, which means that if you do not fit within his framework, you are going to have a very rough time. I went to him for social anxiety. I learned eye contact and the purpose of small talk, but I did throw out a lot of the lessons that I learned from him because they were overly extrovert-militant and really not necessary for overcoming social anxiety.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2011