Ratings for Dr. David R. Borenstein

I am a 49 year old male who was diagnosed two years ago with osteoarthritis in both hips. The recommendation was that I get a hip replacement on both hips, but was also cautioned that due to my age, I would likely have to repeat the process in 10 years' time. That was not an option for me so I opted to manage the situation as best I could. In December 2016 my hips started hurting me more and I knew that I had to address my situation. After extensive searching, I found Dr Borenstein and contacted him via his website. I was pleasantly surprised to get a call from him that same evening, during which we discussed my treatment options and made arrangements for him to review my records. After reviewing my xrays and report, he advised me that stem cell therapy was a viable option for me, and invited me to make an appointment for treatment. When I arrived for my treatment I was greeted by Dr Borenstein, who seemed very affable. After completing my sign in forms we went through the consultation, during which I was advised of the potential risks and benefits of the procedure, what to expect of the treatment and my recovery phase, and discussed any other issues that might be affecting me as a result of my condition. I was quite surprised when, on hearing that I had back issues, he requested my MRI and indicated that he would treat that too! The procedure itself was quite straighforward. Liposuction from the right buttocks, an hour long stroll around Lincoln Centre while the stem cells were separated, the extraction of blood, plasma separation, locating the injection sites and the injection of the stem cells and plasma all took 3 1/2 hrs, including my back. Did it hurt? Yes! Probably a 5 on the childbirth scale and a solid 10 on the man flu scale. But after the lidocaine injection into the hip after the stem cells, the pain that I had lived with for years was gone! My range of motion was 100% better immediately after the procedure and has remiained that way for two weeks so far. Dr Borenstein has checked up on me at least every other day since the procedure and continues to be pleased with my progress. I have recommended him to at least 6 people so far and would encourage others to check with him before making a decision that you may regret for the rest of your life. With physiotherapy, my prognosis for getting back to running is looking good. I am exremely grateful to Dr Borenstein and his staff, Karen and Lisa, for giving me the chance to reclaim my quality of life. Talk to him before you make that final decision. You will not regret it.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2017

A few of years back, I fell and had a torn meniscus on both knees. As time went by, arthritis took over and changed my life dramatically. I live in upstate New York were the cold weather can be an enemy for people with arthritis. During this time, I saw four (4) different specialists who could not do anything but give me cortisone and gel shots which only lasted a few months and provided “minimal” relief. I walked around holding on to the walls feeling as if my knees were going to crumble at any moment. The last specialist wanted to do a partial knee replacement for each knee, which I couldn’t understand as I am only in my mid-40’s! In search of different alternatives, I did a lot of research into the Stem Cell treatment and decided to meet with Dr. Borenstein. He answered my every question, phone call and email with amazing knowledge, professionalism, sympathy and understanding. I was very skeptical at first but felt I needed to exhaust every other avenue before going ahead with such a dramatic and permanent solution as partial knee replacement surgery. I scheduled and received the stem cell treatment November 2016 and the recuperation has been mind-blowing in an awesome and very positive way. Just six days after treatment, I was able to stretch my knees in bed! I cannot even tell you when was the last time I was able to do that without feeling that knees would crack. Little by little, I started feeling better each day. I was no longer doing the “penguin” walk (especially when getting out of bed). Cold days were more manageable and not as painful as they once were. Day 10th was amazing to me; I was super busy at work and took the stairs, walking down one leg in front of the other (a thought that no longer existed on my mind) and when I realized what I was doing, a HUGE smile of happiness took over! Since then, everyday has been better and better! Dr. Borenstein has been there for me every step of the way, he has been very responsive to all my messages/questions, checks up on me, gives me ideas and tips; all in all helping me get back the life that I so desperately needed. I cannot believe that the FDA will approve the knee replacement surgery, where they will actually CUT your own bones (which is irreversible), but they won’t approve a stem cell treatment that comes from ones own body! When I go to Physical Therapy (to strengthen my muscles) and I see people there screaming of pain from their knee surgeries and my heart aches for them. I thank God every day for crossing my path with Dr. Borenstein before it was too late! If you have been told you need surgery, do yourself a HUGE favor and contact Dr. Borenstein first. I pray that he can help your situation as he helped mine. I went on vacation this Christmas and was able to dance…Dance, (an activity that my mind had deleted completely) before my stem cell treatment! I will be forever grateful to Dr. David Borenstein for his extensive knowledge, understanding and for restoring and giving me back MY OWN KNEES!!!

flag | Submitted January 9, 2017

It is clear that this doctor (I use the term loosely), is interested in only one thing - making as much money as he can. I had to tell him what I thought was wrong with me and how much of a medication dosage I probably need. When a treatment he tried didn't work well and I suggested we explore why, he responded with a frustrated tone, "come back in a month." Visits usually lasted 10 minutes, tops - typically, 5 minutes - and at those visits, he either bragged about his home in Great Neck or consistently complained that he hates insurance and needs to get patients who don't care about insurance and can pay out-of-pocket. This isn't a doctor, this is a business man acting as a doctor - and not a very good business man or medical practitioner at that. Don't waste your time, energy and money! There are other caring and dedicated doctors in NYC who are much more worthy of the title. BTW: I'm willing to wager that all the reviews online that give this doctor a 5 are either false, he has a deal with these people or his arrogant and crude personality shifts every so often just enough to ensure some people will give him a good review. As for Mary Shomon, the thyroid "expert" endorsing him, this has to be another "arrangement" because this man is the pits! Sadly, he's taking Ms. Shomon's reputation down the same disastrous path.

Submitted June 3, 2016

A friend insisted I see Dr.B. - I am so thankful I did! I have an autoimmune disorder- Dermatomyositis- all doctors in the past-year- would just put me on higher amounts of steriods. The fatigue.... Crippling.... Dr.B. Looked at the same blood work- as all 7 other doctors.. He Asked me questions- put me on IV drip of vitamins... Perscribed different medications- and several vitamins and I feel so much like my old self!!! Several of my other doctors - thought - well maybe your lacking Vitamin b, zinc, magnesium - and gave me higher amounts of steriods. I'm thankful my friend insisted I see Dr. B

flag | Submitted August 10, 2015

I've found a great improvement in my condition (ankylosing spondylitis) since seeing Dr. Borenstein. He is very passionate about helping me where all other specialists have offered only one path, involving expensive and what I consider dangerous therapy session. Highly recommend.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2015

Been receiving Prolotherapy treatments to neck and have been improving greatly after so many physical therapy sessions have failed along with pain medications. Glad something's working because I refused to get surgery.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2015

Very few Endocrinologists out there are willing to look at thyroid based on your symptoms and not just lab values ... I suffered for over a decade .. with serious thyroid issues... and was always under treated bec my lab results were o so perfect... i was overweight by 70 lBs and sick... So grateful that I stumbled upon Dr. Borenstein. He has immense experience with thyroid and hormonal issues and and symptom based approach... I have had 70% recovery from my issues in about a year. I have have a ton of stress in my life otherwise I am sure I would be on the right track by now. He had a well rounded approach towards treating hormonal issues taking into adrenal fatigue, T4 conversion, nutritional deficiencies into account. If you have suffered for a while then please don't expect your issues to be fixed in just two visits ...

flag | Submitted September 23, 2014

I visited Dr. Borenstein on 3 occasions and decided to discontinue his "endocrinology" support. He comes up on Functional Medicine searches but he does not practice this approach. Dr. Borenstein sets eyes on your test results for the first time when you are sitting in front of him. He does not take insurance, only private pay. Most doctors who take private pay do so because they want to spend their time researching their patients, and not on the phone with insurance carriers. Not so with Dr. Borenstein. He does not appear to listen to your goals or capable of putting the picture together holistically. The last straw for me was when he recommended 4 supplements based on my tests and then said, "Because I like you, I am going to give you 2 supplements for free." Then he proceeded to mark up the other two supplements about 300%. Online the same exact supplements cost about $12 a bottle and he charged me $70 for them! He lost credibility at that point.

Submitted July 28, 2014

After over a year of not receiving optimal treatment I was ready to get better and came in to see Dr. Borenstein. He asked a series of questions while reviewing my papers. He was very confident that he could help. He switched my medicine to nature-throid and gave me some adrenal support supplements and an order for bloodwork. I left feeling cautious but hopeful. My husband and I couldn't believe the difference! Within two weeks I was making my way back emotionally and physically to my old great self! It felt so good that I was careful to "wait and see". It's been 5 months and I still feel great! I have my life back. I recently had a second type of thyroid added to my treatment and when I emailed Dr. Borenstein after a month of taking it with concerns because I wasn't feeling well not only did he respond right away via e-mail but also called me personally, on a Saturday to check in. I was really impressed with that type of attention to patient.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2014

I was diagnosed with hashimotos disease 3 1/2 years prior to finding Dr. Borenstein. I was under the care of an endocronologist who would only treat by labs numbers, not by symptoms. I was suffering on a daily basis with symptoms such as: exhaustion, brain fog, weight gain, chronic pain, numbness, tingling, hair loss, irregular cycles... The list just goes on. The endo denied that my symptoms were thyroid related. I was beginning to lose hope of ever feeling well. I had my first appointment with Dr. Borenstein in May of 2013. It was a life-changing visit. The doctor took his time and listened to my symptoms and feelings. He was very thorough. Dr. B is a wonderful doctor. He thinks outside of the box and is very knowledgeable about this complicated disease. He has made me feel like the old me. I feel much healthier since seeing him. My quality of live has greatly improved. I am so thankful to have found such an excellent doctor.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2014

Dr. David R. Borenstein's Credentials

• Technion-Israel Inst Of Tech, Fac Of Med, Haifa, Israel (Grad. 1995)