Ratings for Dr. Keenan S. Carriero

In June of 2014, I was surfing in Puerto Escondido aka the ‘Mexican Pipeline,’ when I took a spill on a backside barrel. The wave compressed me into my board and in the process I broke my fibula, shredded the ligaments in my ankle, and tore the Lisfranc ligament in my foot. After making it home I went to see my general practitioner but he was unable to diagnose what had happened. It was only after Dr. Keenan Carriero saw the results of my MRI that I discovered what was wrong. Keenan, an old friend from high school, immediately scheduled me for surgery. After performing a successful surgery where he fixed my ankle and foot, I began the long process of healing. At times my foot felt so good that I’d call Keenan and ask if I could start doing certain activities like walking, riding a bike, swimming, etc. He urged me to wait and stay off the foot, which wasn’t what I wanted to hear, but abided regardless. My foot and ankle gradually got better and better and by the time winter swells rolled around, I was back in action and surfing. I came to learn that the Lisfranc tear is a pretty serious injury and for football players and other professional athletes it can be a career ender. It’s been eight months since Dr. Carriero performed the surgery and I’m on track to be 100% healed by June—just like Keenan told me after the operation. I can’t thank Dr. Carreiro enough for getting me back on my feet. And while I wish a Lisfranc tear on nobody, if it does happen, Dr. Carreiro is the guy to fix you up!

flag | Submitted February 22, 2015

I am sorry for the other reviewer and his experience. Mine was the opposite. I actually went to one of the best specialists about my ankle and he told me to "throw out your strappy sandals". He kept telling me it was not surgical. 3+ years later, in great pain over those years as well, came Dr Carriero. My ankle socket had disintegrated to the point where it no longer existed. I had surgery July 10 and 3 months later healing and looking forward to a productive life. One other thing I wanted to say. Dr. Carriero's physican assistant, Yessica is by far one of the best assistants I have come across. She knows exactly what to say to make you feel better and more secure with the office and she is completely on top of everything. She does not wait to make this happen (in my case help with disability) she is proactive and makes sure the little stuff that is not so little for us patients are taken car of. 10 stars for Yessica! Core Orthopaedics is very lucky to have her!

flag | Submitted October 17, 2014

Would not refer him. He completely botched my ankle. Two visits asking why my ankle was so painful. he did not look at the MRI, only read the radiologists review (never looked at the actual images?). I then saw the best Doc in the country (Tom Clanton in Vail... did Yao Ming's feet among others) and Dr. Clanton actually looked at the same MRI and found numerous bone spurs and loose bodies. Getting surgery soon. Dr. Carriero is a nice guy... but a classic "orthopedic surgeon" not a careful and caring doctor - IMO.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2012

Dr. Keenan S. Carriero's Credentials

• California College Podiatric Medicine (Grad. 2002)

Top Urgent Care Centers in Encinitas, CA