Ratings for Dr. Richard A. MACKEY

I was referred to Dr Mackey after my GI doctor discovered a choledochal cyst that had "tripled in size over 5 years"; liver resection was suggested and preformed. As far as the surgery itself, he told me there would be a single incision on right torso, despite the fact that he was thinking of removing my spleen as well (a cyst was seen on it as well during MRI)... however, I awoke to see a huge t-bone incision in the middle of my abdomen. During recovery/discharge I asked about PT to help with the huge abdominal scar but he didn't offer it; I also suffered a diaphragmatic hernia 1 year later most likely due to a "sloppy" splenectomy. All in all, I feel he was a bit flippant and unconcerned with my post surgery complications b/c I was "too young & healthy" to experience them. My condition was unique though and I blame myself more for not seeking a 2nd opinion; this was the first surgery I had and I craved more strict/verbose execution then he gave me. He's a nice enough guy though.

flag | Submitted July 2, 2014

Dr. Richard A. MACKEY's Credentials

• University Of Maryland School Of Medicine (Grad. 2001)

AHC