Ratings for Dr. Jurina Smida

Worst dental experience of my life. She was rude, aggressive and careless - and overcharged 600% compared to other dentists price in Sonoma county! This practice gives a very bad name to holistic dentistry.

flag | Submitted July 15, 2017

the equipment is dazzling, but cannot make up for Dr Smida's terse, offensive disposition. She refused to perform the two repairs I had come to her for, stating she would have to do a complete exam and exploratory on everything. She acknowledged that she could not maintain the state of the art upper teeth in my mouth, but would still charge the same for an exam. When I shared that I had a terminal, life threatening diagnosis and simply wanted to maintain my dental health in the midst of this, thus was there for two teeth that need repairs she adamantly refused, even as I approached the issues from various angles. Later she left a message for me that she would like to discuss our session. When I called back she never returned my call. I then visited her website, thinking that would be a better forum for exchange, but never heard back from her. No matter what she would have said I know I would never avail myself of here services. I was simple filled with curiosity regarding what her latest disposition would be. This woman needs more help with her chair side manner, and follow through. I have never experienced such an abrasive, person totally lacking in compassion, and follow through. I have traveled internationally and had many a foreign dentist , but gratefully, never one like Dr Smida.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2016

This is the absolutely worst dentist and office staff that I have ever encountered in my life (and I am no spring chicken). It's a "don't walk, run" situation. I was given different price quotes for an estimate I requested to have veneers put on my front teeth. The cost was around $16,000, but the estimate kept increasing. Originally I was told that I would be given an office discount, but since the office staff turned over a few times, the latest staff member told me that the previous personnel “did not know what they were talking about,” and that “there would be no discounts”. (Nice to know that the previous staff "did not know what they were doing"!) I decided to wait on front veneers but had Dr.Smida get an overview of my teeth, which she did by running every possible diagnostic test and Xray available, only to conclude there were no major issues. Dr.Smida is all about latest equipment and dental gimmicks but is greatly lacking in people skills and technique, as she drags out her words and slurs monotones, with a stoic facial expression as if she's high on something. A few months later, a small, corner piece of one of my back porcelain crowns chipped. It was more cosmetic than anything else, as the chip caused no pain or discomfort in that tooth. However, I proactively saw Dr.Smida, thinking that the chip could be filled with porcelain. Dr.Smida informed me that the entire crown should be replaced. I consented. Dr.Smida first gave me an injection of Lidocaine. I have never felt such excruciating pain, which zapped directly like lightening into my scalp. I instinctively cried out and drew my hand up. Dr.Smida reacted by yelling at me to never interfere with her work. I told her that I am a seasoned patient of dentistry, and have never had an issue with any injection, and that she must have hit a nerve! She became very angry and read me the third degree!I have had crowns done by other dentists, so I could not figure out why Dr.Smida was taking such a long time (the crown was made in her office and ready in 20 minute). She drilled extensively into the tooth (the tooth itself was fine, just needed a new crown). As the Lidocaine wore off, unbelievable pain radiated from my tooth, gums, sinus cavities, cheek, and forehead! Obviously Dr.Smida accidentally hit a big nerve. After 2 days I called crying in unbearable and ceaseless pain, and was told that Dr.Smida was booked for the next 2 days and could not fit me in, despite my emergency situation. Two days later, as appointed, I was treated rudely and defensively. Dr.Smida for the first time (since she did not tell me anything like this during the procedure), informed me that I had a very rotten and decaying tooth and that she had to do extensive cleaning. When I asked her why I was never told this, she disregarded my question and mumbled something nondescript and defensive. When I asked her why the panoramic and other diagnostic tests never detected decay, she told me that crowns did not show up on such tests! Dr.Smida blamed the pain on needing to even out the tooth and fix the bitting surface, which did nothing. I called again 2 days later to explain that the intensity of my pain was still unbearable and my condition hadn’t changed. I was told that I could make an appointment to come in for Ozone treatment, but that I would be charged for that! I told the person on the phone that I was not going to pay for something that the dentist is responsible for resolving. I was told ever so rudely "take it or leave it". I requested my records to be sent to two other dentists, who I went to for a second opinion. I had to call multiple times over several weeks, and there were still no records sent, in spite of the fact that I had pre paid for these records. The staff at the new dentists offices also called Jurina’s office repeatedly and were stonewalled and met with stalling and excuses for not coming up with my records. Jurina did everything she could to hide the evidence!

Submitted November 18, 2014