Ratings for Dr. JAY C. Goldstein

RESPONSE FROM DR JAY C GOLDSTEIN. STUPID TO HAVE TO PUT RATINGS IN FOR A RESPONSE. Unfortunately, although patients are free to trash doctors' reputations at will, Federal regulations (HIPAA) prevent doctors from even acknowledging that such a person is their patient. However, there are certain general comments that I can make. Since this person appears to be very concerned about Board Certification, he will be very happy to know that: I was re-certified by the American Board of Podiatric Surgery in 2014. I was re-certified by the American Board of Podiatric Medicine in 2014. I am also a Fellow of the American Society of Podiatric Surgeons. I was one of the first podiatrists in Oregon to be certified by the American Board of Podiatric Orthopedics and Primary Podiatric Medicine, and to the best of my knowledge was the only podiatrist in Oregon to be separately certified by the American Board of Primary Podiatric Medicine. To the best of my knowledge I am the only podiatrist in Oregon with a triple board certification. Since this person focused on Board Certification, I assume that he would also be concerned about Continuing Medical Education (CME). If so, he would want to know that I was given an award from the American Podiatric Medical Association for maintaining a high level of CME. During my many years of practice, I have averaged over 100 hours of CME per year, over triple the State requirement. It is unlikely that ANY of your doctors have maintained that level of CME. Anyone suffering an ankle sprain would be highly likely to also have a minor injury of their capsule. The vast majority of the time, it is most important to focus healing upon the ligaments and tendons. Moreover, the same treatment that would resolve the ligaments and tendons would also resolve the capsule. He states that I kept him immobilized for two months. IF I hypothetically had the chance to question this person, I would want to know: Were you even under my care for two months? What is you definition of immobilization? Perhaps you could point to the peer reviewed article that informed you that the treatment you received was inappropriate? You stated that your “immobilization” caused your capsulitis. Who informed you of that? You quoted me: "I don't want you to move those ankles until you are pain free for 5 consecutive days" . Is that an accurate quote? Who told you that you: “most likely would have ended with me having long term pain and mobility issues with my ankles.” I would dearly LOVE to respond further, as I HIGHLY value my reputation, and I am certain that your high level of ethics and courage will compel you to have an open, HONEST, and ACCURATE discussion of your treatment, assuming that you were indeed my patient, which I cannot now acknowledge due to HIPAA. Fortunately, if you will kindly mail or fax a release to my office, giving me permission to discuss this case in this open forum, I will respond with factual information supported by your own handwriting and supported by a cloud based electronic medical record which is time and date stamped (and therefore which I could not alter under any circumstances). I am glad to hear you are improved, and I greatly look forward to receiving your release, which I know your ethics and courage will compel you to send in the new few days. Sincerely, Jay C. Goldstein, DPM, MS, FACFAS, FASPS, DABPM --

flag | Submitted December 9, 2015

I had double ankle sprain, he kept me immobilized for two months. Everything I read online told me that this was not the appropriate way to treat a sprained ankle - that after a certain amount of immobilization physical therapy becomes vitally important . During the second month, I started to get new pain in my right ankle. He diagnosed it as tendinitis and told me to massage it. Massaging it made it hurt so much worse. I went to get a second opinion, turns out I did not have tendinitis, I had capsulitis from immobilizing my ankles for so long! I also had an underlying nerve injury that was made so much worse from the immobilization. At my last appointment with Dr Goldstein, his last words to me were "I don't want you to move those ankles until you are pain free for 5 consecutive days". Well thank God I went to get a second opinion, because I would still be waiting for my ankles to magically "get better". This more than likely would have ended with long term pain and mobility issues. It is pretty clear to me that Dr Goldstein is not up to date on the latest evidence based medicine in his field. I think its time specialists are required to re-certify every 5 years. A LOT can change in 10 years.

Submitted December 8, 2015

My wife and I have been patients of Dr. Goldstein's for about 40 years. He performed 2 surgeries on her feet with excellent results. He has effectively managed the treatment of my congenitally deformed foot with the highest levels of competency and has kept me mobile and active. As a runner he understands the need some of us have for high activity. When other Podiatrists said I would have to live with foot arthritis he has found ways to delay its onset even to today. I've had many medical practitioners over a long life, he is one of the very best.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2015

1-14-14 reply from DR JAY C GOLDSTEIN ON BELOW REVIEW, DATED 1-14-15 This is quite frustrating. Had to put rating in to write a reply, quite wrong. There should be an area DR can apply. Some patients have put a lot of thought into identifying their problem, which is always appreciated, and makes the visit much easier. Unfortunately, this patient had two separate problems, which understandably made it more difficult for her to gather information. It required a very long examination to gather the information and make the diagnoses. Many doctors would not have spent as long on one visit to make the diagnoses and describe the treatment plan. I then dispensed literature to read about the problem and the different forms of treatment so that she would have both my verbal description and also a written description of the diagnosis and the different forms of treatment. I summarized the treatment plan that I felt would be best for her. She had several questions which were answered. Toward the end of the visit, she asked me why she would develop these problems (one of which was over one year in duration) at this time after several years of intermittent running. She asked me the question. The answers: We are all a bit more susceptible to injury with age. (Since she is far younger than I, and I just ran a half marathon this past weekend (sadly, not as fast as yesteryear), I certainly did not tell her that she is old, nor even come close to suggesting that she is too old to run.) Her shoes were the wrong style for her; not nearly supportive enough. "Have you gained any weight during the past ten years?" Yes, she responded, she had gained ten pounds. I did not call her fat, obese, or any similar term. I did tell her that all three factors are issues because: We live on a planet with gravity, which over time causes bones and other tissues to shift, and, alas, causes problems. If I find a solution to this last issue, would I be happy! We either have been there, or we will be there. I can assure you that after 50 years of running, I have been there much more often than most. My scribe (a medical assistant that I pay to take notes so that I can spend more time examining and communicating) was present during the entire visit. I asked her if she heard anything inappropriate or remotely negative as is described in this patient's review. My scribe is very honest with me, and we both knew something was wrong when the patient walked past me and refused to say good-bye. My scribe keeps track of the time spent on various visits. I spent 47' with the patient. I then had one of my medical assistants check the patient's shoes, and review my recommendations again. At that point, the patient had additional questions, and, yes, during the next 20' my medical assistant, who was not present during the visit, did check with me about the patient's diagnoses in order to provide accurate information. We have all experienced waiting excessively for our doctor's appointments. I HATE to keep my patients waiting. I do not think it would have been fair to have kept my patients waiting any longer. I do feel that I was respectful and professional throughout this visit, and I was able to make the diagnosis and outline a treatment program that would have had a high likelihood of success to return her to running. I note that this patient gave me a three star out of five for punctuality, despite entering the treatment room within 60 seconds after she was seated. I wonder how every patient for the rest of the day would have graded me if I had further extended my visit with this patient. If this patient is that critical of punctuality, should this patient not also extend that courtesy to others? When I ask my doctors how I can improve, I want to know what I can do to resolve my problem. If they do not take the time to tell me, they have not fulfilled their responsibility to me.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2015

I don’t usually take the time to do this, but I had such a unique experience, I wanted to share. I had a visit with this doctor and felt increasingly frustrated with his lack of patience for me and my inability to articulate the problem area. He ultimately made a diagnosis and recommendation but did very little in the way of patient education to help me fully understand the situation and absorb his recommendations. His diagnosis was not surprising, but his recommended treatment was, so I was confused. I had to continue fighting back tears because I was so confused and frustrated at what was being explained to me. He gave me a photocopy of an article he wrote in a runner’s magazine and circled a couple of things. Told me I was old and overweight, so my situation was a fact of life. I tried to get additional information from his assistant-- but she was confused and almost afraid to answer questions without checking with him first. While I am sure he is an excellent doctor, I think he’s not the best fit for someone who is sensitive and needs more hand holding. I never thought of myself as someone like that, but clearly after today’s reaction, I am. I think I will seek care my follow up care elsewhere. I find it difficult to consider going back after the way I felt upon leaving the office. A first for me for sure. I hope this is helpful feedback for the doctor and his team.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2015

I would like the people reading this review of Dr. Jay Goldstein to know that after writing the letter below I received a phone call that evening at my home from the doctor. He consulted with me over the phone and then stayed after closing hours the next working business day so that I could be seen. He and his staff stayed at least two hours after closing and were nothing but professional and I have very good service since. I have asked for the below letter about my dissatisfaction to be removed but it has not been which is why I am posting this review.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2014

8/15/2014 Dr. Jay Goldstein operated on both of my feet (at the same time) 25 years ago. I had complications afterwards because a nurse at Good Samaritan had me walking on my feet to a bathroom while still in recovery, before I had fully awakened. Twelve years later I had to have the pins in both feet removed, pins that I had been assured would to be pure titanium due to my metal allergies (but weren't). In total I had four surgeries and my daughter had one. In addition, I was treated by Dr. Goldstein for a fractured foot (in-between all the surgeries). I found Dr. Goldstein hard to communicate with when he was younger but felt he was a good surgeon. His reception area was unfriendly then and although he has a new receptionist she not much more friendly that the first one; however the young staff in the back have always been nothing but helpful, efficient and kind. I've referred at least eight people to Dr. Goldstein over the years, two of those he performed surgery on and two of the them I took to their many appointments (including both my daughter and a friend). It's been just over a year that I took a friend to three appointments and was in the examining room all three times. I was with my daughter in the examining room and at the hospital with her so Dr. Goldstein knows very well who I am and I can assure anyone reading this, I have never been anything but polite, cordial and friendly to the doctor and his staff. Two weeks ago I suffered either a very, very bad sprain to my right foot (or broke it). Urgent Care did X-rays and the treating Physician Assistant told me she sees no break but it looked bad and I needed to see a specialist within a week…. there could possibly be a break she couldn't see. I went home in an air cast, walking shoe and crutches. She also told me I should start walking on it in four days. I could NOT walk on it in four days. It's now been two weeks and I still cannot walk on it! I had my X-rays and records sent to Dr. Goldstein's office but could not get in for an appointment until Friday, 8/22/14, three weeks after my injury. My tiny foot is terribly swollen, I'm horribly bruised and in a lot of pain and had a couple of questions as to what sort of treatment I should be following between now and then (ice? elevate? try to walk on it as the PA said?) so I telephoned his receptionist and left a message yesterday asking if the doctor could please call me anytime for a quick 2 or 3 minutes to answer a couple of questions after he had reviewed my X-rays. I didn't hear back. This morning I called again and asked if the doctor would be calling me today. The receptionist put me on hold and when she came back said, "No, the doctor is very busy and has no time to call you back, he will see you in a week." I asked her if he had an email -- so that I contact him with my questions that way? "No" again. She also told me since I've not been seen for so long I am no longer an "established" patient. Really, after a patient history of 4 surgeries and a broken foot? After the thousands upon thousands of dollars I have spent on myself and my daughter plus all the patients I've referred to him and I'm no longer an "established" patient? Well, okay. I cancelled my appointment for next Friday and have already found a doctor that is emailing me back this afternoon with instructions to follow after reviewing my X-rays and records. Not that I think they'll care, but I will never go back to Dr. Goldstein and will no longer refer friends and family to him. This incident has left me very disappointed.

flag | Submitted August 15, 2014

I would not recommend this doctor to anyone. His patient care was absolutely terrible. I have been with this doctor for just about a year now and have seen him multiple times. He is disrespectful, does not explain his treatment methods, and does not answer questions which left me questioning his treatment methods and whether or not he understood my goals as a patient. This doctor's staff was not helpful either. In all of my visits the doctor was very short and as a result I had to ask questions (for which I was given very little time) in order to get even any information on what was about to be injected into my foot. I would strongly encourage others to seek another recommended doctor.

flag | Submitted August 12, 2013

I felt Dr Goldstein. Was very professional and courtious to me and my family. I would recommended anyone tto go see him. Over all excellent and satisfaction was met.

flag | Submitted January 7, 2013

Dr. Goldstein was recommended by my primary care Doctor. I was having severe heel and arch pain. He was very kind, knowledgeable and professional. Once he warmed up he even had a sense of humor! The Dr recommended orthotic devices which my insurance paid for. While it took a couple visits I am now pain free!! He is the best FOOT DOCTOR IN PORTLAND! SEE THIS DR!

flag | Submitted January 13, 2012

Dr. JAY C. Goldstein's Credentials

• California College Podiatric Medicine (Grad. 1976)