Ratings for Dr. Robert A. Latkany

Seven years ago I was afflicted with a severe case of EKC (Epidemic Keratoconjunctivitis). I had seen at 3 doctors prior to being referred to Dr. Latkany. One of the three docs had sent me to Dr. Latkany due to the potential for permanent ocular surface damage and the lack of responsiveness of the eye to the medications. Dr. Latkany did an extremely thorough investigation of my problem. Not only did he look at my eye in some many different ways, he also asked me a lot about my life history of eye treatments. Within a month or so he came to the conclusion that I should immediately stop using the steroid drops the other docs had prescribed and instead start taking restasis to combat dry eye syndrome. He laid out his case - if I kept taking the steroids I would very likely end up with glaucoma. The other docs weighed in at the same time - if I stopped taking the steroids I would wind up with permanent corneal scarring and the attendant loss of visual acuity. In Dr. Latkany's favor was his expertise - ocular surface problems were his forte. Further, he had treated eyes with EKC. So, with a deep breath, I cast my fate with Dr. Latkany. And, I can say with great relief that it worked. I regained 100% of my near vision and about 90% of my distant vision with gradual improvements still happening as recent as this year. Dr. Latkany is not only a superb physician but one who combines medicine with a holistic view that takes into account the emotional factors involved. My anxiety about never regaining full visual acuity was affecting my treatment. His approach helped me accept where I was and understand this was a long road. I believe part of my recovery was due to this acceptance. The treatment was also complicated by a botched lancing of a chalazion by another doctor at the same time I got the EKC. The effect was that eyelashes were growing into my ocular surface. Dr Latkany sent me to an excellent doctor who corrected that problem over a series of procedures. Throughout this multi-year ordeal, Dr. Latkany eased my anxieties with careful consideration of the facts, a clear strategy, availability to address my concerns at any time, and a very sincere desire to help me through this struggle. I will always be grateful for his courage to go against all the other docs and get me on a path that brought my eyesight back to almost normal. So, to you the reader, I give Dr. Latkany my highest recommendation.

flag | Submitted February 22, 2015

I was very pleased with my visit to Dr.Latkany. I have a temporary dry eye condition due to a serious health problem I had. I've been to so many ophthalmologists in the past few months and they all gave me very scary options for treatment that would result in more pain and difficulty. They also made me feel horrible like my condition was the worst they've ever seen. Dr.Latkany was very pleasant and gave me all the answers to my questions and gave me some very very reasonable options for treatment which made me feel very comfortable. He's very knowledgeable and that's my main concern when looking for a doctor. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2012

Dr. Latkany ia a very competent and caring physician who collaborates and communicates with his patients as equal participants in their treatment. No ego play in his practice but kind and ethical quality of care.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2010

I had to wait about 25 minutes for the appointment which only last about 5 minutes. Dr. Latkany was clearly very knowledgeable and seems to be a highly skilled doctor; however, I would not recommend him for a routine checkup/prescription renewal. I was only there for a routine checkup - he was not very thorough and seemed rather impatient. I think he'd be a great doctor if you require more complex treatment.

flag | Submitted January 9, 2007

He was on time, very friendly and has a great bedside manner.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2006

Dr. Latkany always takes the time to answer my Dry Eye Questions, no matter how trival they may seem!

flag | Submitted July 3, 2006

Dr. Robert A. Latkany's Credentials

• Spanish

• Boston University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1997)