Ratings for Dr. Richard C Ostrup

This was the best care I've ever had from a Doctor and his group ever. My family and I have been kept well informed of my condition, surgery, and recovery. Dr. Ostrup and his whole staff are true professionals, and extremely caring.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2017

I found Dr. Ostrup to be highly competent and highly dedicated to patient care.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2017

After years of physical therapy and shots for deteriorated cervical discs, my pain level became intolerable. The MRI showed severe stenosis for C-5 C-6 and C-6 C-7. After a visit with Dr. Ostrup, my wife and I were very well informed of my condition and the surgical procedure recommended. Dr. Ostrup provided excellent detail and a clear understanding of all aspects related to the surgery and recovery. Erica Ebert, his Practice Manager, was also very instrumental in the coordination of the surgery and all the appointments. Both of them have great personalities and are fun to talk to, yet being very professional and helpful in all aspects. The surgery has helped me immensely and the recovery time was quick. I highly recommend Dr. Ostrup as he is a great surgeon, who also helped me to overcome the fear of the surgery through understanding all that would take place. His reassurance of my well-being was second to none. He was even there for me to comfort me when I woke from the anesthesia. I would like to “Thank You” Dr. Ostrup and Erica Ebert for everything you did for me. It was much appreciated. Kindest Regards, Russell Watts

flag | Submitted May 16, 2017

i was not able to see the dr. But his staff was rude and unhelpful. i had a approved referral but was turned away because of a previous fusion. I was told to return to that dr. We are a military family and my fusion was done in another state so it is not possible for me to do that. I explained this and they were quite aware of it and still unhelpful. I am very disappointed this is how they treat people.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2016

My husband had lost some feeling in his limbs and numbing from the waist down. He was referred to a Neurologist, I made the appointment, but then changed it based on reviews and speaking to the front desk person, very rude. Mean while I was researching Neurosurgeons and found the top ten in the nation. Dr Ostrup was one, and he happened to be in San Diego. I immediately checked his reviews and all I read was amazing things. I called to have my husband visit him instead of the other doctor. Erica, answered and was the nicest person, she scheduled my husband as soon as she could and told me to call to see if they had cancellations, which is rare. I knew then she cared. We went to see Dr. Ostrup and, boy were the reviews about him right!! He has years of experience, he is considerate, polite, talks to you not at your, and he is humble. He even calls his patients in!! how many doctors out there do that? Practically none. He performed the surgery on my husband, he had three herniated discs. The day of the surgery my husband started to feel almost back to normal. It has been almost a month and he is just about back to feeling 100% normal. We are so grateful and thankful for Dr. Ostrup. He is the doctor to see if you want not only the best and with years of experience, but one that cares and takes the time to talk to his patients, listen to concerns, answer questions etc. We are so grateful for having him in San Diego and to have him as my husbands doctor.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2016

Dr. Richard Ostrup was a highly recommended referral for my degenerative spondylolisthesis. I was experiencing excruciating pain and losing the ability to walk and use my legs. Dr. Ostrup performed a laminectory for spondylolisthesis, which was causing severe central spinal stenosis. My pain is gone and I am now able to walk without a walker or a cane and am not in need of pain medication. Dr. Ostrup is an exceptional neurosurgeon who is realistic and compassionate. His practice manager, Erica, is remarkably kind and proficient.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2016

I was in severe pain when I made my appointment with Dr. Ostrup. I had tried physical therapy, had been to a chiropractor, had epidural shots and nothing could relieve my suffering for any considerable period of time. The office staff, I spoke with Erica who is terrific, got my appointment and had my consultation with Dr. Ostrup. He was very courteous, informative, absolutely no pressure to have the surgery and provided me with some surgery options. After having the surgery I am able to honestly say that I am pain free and have resumed my normal activities that I was doing before the surgery. If you are experiencing that chronic pain that just won't go away you will understand what a relief (miracle) it feels like to be "normal" once again. I am very grateful to Dr. Ostrup for the great work he did in giving me my life "back."

flag | Submitted May 30, 2016

I had a hard time getting any straight answers from this doctor. It seemed like he practices very defensive medicine. I did not feel comfortable with him.

flag | Submitted May 24, 2016

I just wanted to thank you for taking such good care of me these past few months. I really feel good now and rarely even remember that I had the procedure. I made the right decision in having the surgery and I am happy that I picked you as my surgeon. J Foster

flag | Submitted April 10, 2016

Dr Ostrup is an amazing surgeon. He is so caring. I was so fortunate to have him as my surgeon. I had a spinal fusion with removal of a bone metatastis. I came out of surgery pain free and I have recovered and healed. I am doing so well, thanks to Dr. Ostrup.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2016

Dr. Richard C Ostrup's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Ostrup is a native of California who attended UC Davis Medical School followed by post graduate training at the University of Michigan and neuro-surgical residency at U.C. San Diego. Additionally, an interest in disorders of peripheral nerves led to a fellowship at the University of Toronto joining the Neurosurgical Medical Clinic. He has been the Chief of Neurosurgery at Mercy Hospital. Dr. Richard Ostrup is board certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgeons. He attended UC Davis medical school where he was awarded the Loren D. Carlson award for outstanding research and graduated as a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha honor medical society. He did his post graduate training at the University of Michigan and Neuro-Surgical Residency at U.C San Diego. Additionally an interest in disorders of peripheral nerves led to a fellowship at the University of Toronto prior to joining the Neurosurgical Medical Clinic in 1987. Dr. Ostrup has served as the chief of Neurosurgery at both Sharp Memorial Hospital in San Diego and Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla. He is the co-inventor of the Camino Intracranial Pressure Monitoring Device. Currently, Dr. Ostrup is the affiliated Neuro trauma coordinator for the San Diego Chargers and has a strong interest in concussions and sports neurosurgery in addition to his interest in the spine, complex spine, brain tumors, and peripheral nerves. For the past 12 years, Dr. Ostrup has been voted by his peers as a top neurosurgeon in San Diego magazine. He is a member of the National Eagle Scout Association.

• English

• Spinal fusion
  • Peripheral neuropathy
  • Brain tumor

• Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
  • Certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery
  • Voted one of San Diego's Top Neurosurgeons - San Diego Magazine 12 years in a row