Ratings for Dr. Richard C Ostrup

I was in severe pain when I made my appointment with Dr. Ostrup. I had tried physical therapy, had been to a chiropractor, had epidural shots and nothing could relieve my suffering for any considerable period of time. The office staff, I spoke with Erica who is terrific, got my appointment and had my consultation with Dr. Ostrup. He was very courteous, informative, absolutely no pressure to have the surgery and provided me with some surgery options. After having the surgery I am able to honestly say that I am pain free and have resumed my normal activities that I was doing before the surgery. If you are experiencing that chronic pain that just won't go away you will understand what a relief (miracle) it feels like to be "normal" once again. I am very grateful to Dr. Ostrup for the great work he did in giving me my life "back."

flag | Submitted May 30, 2016

I had a hard time getting any straight answers from this doctor. It seemed like he practices very defensive medicine. I did not feel comfortable with him.

flag | Submitted May 24, 2016

I just wanted to thank you for taking such good care of me these past few months. I really feel good now and rarely even remember that I had the procedure. I made the right decision in having the surgery and I am happy that I picked you as my surgeon. J Foster

flag | Submitted April 10, 2016

Dr Ostrup is an amazing surgeon. He is so caring. I was so fortunate to have him as my surgeon. I had a spinal fusion with removal of a bone metatastis. I came out of surgery pain free and I have recovered and healed. I am doing so well, thanks to Dr. Ostrup.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2016

I chose Dr. Ostrup based on his excellent reputation both in the medical community and among patients. He is very capable, kind, thorough, and takes the time to answer questions.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2016

After years with pain in almost every step I'm now, thanks to the expertise of Dr. Ostrup, experiencing pain free walking. My initial concerns about spinal surgery were death, paralysis, infection, and then, "will it make a difference?". I'm alive, walking, no infection, and pain free! Erica, office staff, was not only extremely accomodating about appointments but pleasant, personable, and professional. Dr. Ostrup's professionalism extended to him talking to me the day after Thanksgiving, office closed, in order to address a concern of mine. By the way. Recovery after surgery took place in a private room at his five star hotel known as Sharp Memorial Hospital where round the clock nurses respond immediately, private bathroom in the room and a couch for family who stay overnight. I even liked the food! Take a peek at his credentials and you will realize why I felt lucky to have had him as my neurosurgeon.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2015

Dr.Ostrup was calm demeanor and caring personality .

flag | Submitted November 2, 2015

Dr. Ostrup has been my surgeon for 5 years and he is the best!!! I am finally feeling better and can function again.

flag | Submitted September 5, 2015

My experience with Dr. Richard Ostrup was nothing short of wonderful from start to finish! Typically, a medical assistant or a nurse calls you from the waiting room, but here at his La Jolla office, Dr. Ostrup comes out to greet you, a real personal touch! Immediately upon speaking with him about the condition of my back, Dr. Ostrup displayed a very compassionate, confident and relaxed demeanor. I also found that he had a very relatable sense of humor. I felt very at ease and comfortable as I could tell that he understood exactly how I felt and wanted to help my situation. Dr. Ostrup was able to explain how I was feeling and the discomfort I had without me really having to tell him, which was a relief because before seeing him I didn’t feel that anyone else understood. He thoroughly reviewed all of my options and recommended the least evasive approach to improve my quality of life. I never felt rushed to make a decision, although after our consult I decided to move forward that day. While I waited for my surgery to be schedule, which was not long they helped me to manage my pain. When my pain became so overwhelming, they went out of their way to reschedule my surgery by moving it up a week! Sometimes patients can have unrealistic expectations on how they will feel after having surgery; I was one of those patients! I thought all of my pain would be gone right after surgery, but he was very honest with me so I knew exactly what to expect. So far everything that he explained to me happened exactly how he said it would. I feel that my experience was picture perfect and I feel blessed that I was in such good hands. On the day of my surgery, he made himself available to make sure I didn’t have any last questions and that I was comfortable. The team for the surgery was excellent as well, which eased my anxiety immensely and before I knew it, it was over. Besides the pain from the incision, my back pain was gone immediately. Six weeks after my surgery my leg pain was completely gone and my back felt great. It is now two months after surgery and the sensation that I had lost in my foot has come back and I continue to regain strength. I had several follow-up appointments after the surgery and each time I felt that Dr. Ostrup and his office assistant Erica really cared about my well-being. Getting appointments for follow-up care were easy and convenient. I was even late to one appointment because of traffic and they still accommodated me, instead of making me reschedule. Before I had the surgery, the pain interfered with even the smallest of task and I had difficulty sleeping. The pain made it hard for me to play or even interact with my children. Having the surgery was the best decision for me, I feel like I have my life back! If surgery is an option for you, I highly recommend and trust Dr. Ostrup for the job.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2015

Dr. Ostrup is amazing! My sister, age 62, has Down syndrome. Lisa has severe Basilar Invagination with lower brainstem and upper spinal cord compression, which is a condition common to people with Down syndrome. In the beginning of 2015, she experienced progressive weakness in her legs/arms/hands and surgery was only option. Otherwise she would be completely paralyzed with a feeding tube within three months. Surgery (Suboccipital Craniectomy and Occipital to C1-C4 fusion) was preformed on June 1st and only expectation was to maintain her condition and prevent any further deterioration. It has been 8 weeks since surgery and with the help of Physical Therapists and Occupational Therapists, Lisa is walking and using her arms and hands. Dr. Ostrup is a miracle worker. He has exceeded all expectations of recovery and achieved a life changing outcome. Our family and friends praise this outstanding Neurosurgeon, Dr, Richard Ostrup.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2015

Dr. Richard C Ostrup's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Ostrup is a native of California who attended UC Davis Medical School followed by post graduate training at the University of Michigan and neuro-surgical residency at U.C. San Diego. Additionally, an interest in disorders of peripheral nerves led to a fellowship at the University of Toronto joining the Neurosurgical Medical Clinic. He has been the Chief of Neurosurgery at Mercy Hospital. Dr. Richard Ostrup is board certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgeons. He attended UC Davis medical school where he was awarded the Loren D. Carlson award for outstanding research and graduated as a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha honor medical society. He did his post graduate training at the University of Michigan and Neuro-Surgical Residency at U.C San Diego. Additionally an interest in disorders of peripheral nerves led to a fellowship at the University of Toronto prior to joining the Neurosurgical Medical Clinic in 1987. Dr. Ostrup has served as the chief of Neurosurgery at both Sharp Memorial Hospital in San Diego and Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla. He is the co-inventor of the Camino Intracranial Pressure Monitoring Device. Currently, Dr. Ostrup is the affiliated Neuro trauma coordinator for the San Diego Chargers and has a strong interest in concussions and sports neurosurgery in addition to his interest in the spine, complex spine, brain tumors, and peripheral nerves. For the past 12 years, Dr. Ostrup has been voted by his peers as a top neurosurgeon in San Diego magazine. He is a member of the National Eagle Scout Association.

• English

• Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
  • Certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery
  • Voted one of San Diego's Top Neurosurgeons - San Diego Magazine 12 years in a row