Ratings for Dr. Richard C Ostrup

My husband had lost some feeling in his limbs and numbing from the waist down. He was referred to a Neurologist, I made the appointment, but then changed it based on reviews and speaking to the front desk person, very rude. Mean while I was researching Neurosurgeons and found the top ten in the nation. Dr Ostrup was one, and he happened to be in San Diego. I immediately checked his reviews and all I read was amazing things. I called to have my husband visit him instead of the other doctor. Erica, answered and was the nicest person, she scheduled my husband as soon as she could and told me to call to see if they had cancellations, which is rare. I knew then she cared. We went to see Dr. Ostrup and, boy were the reviews about him right!! He has years of experience, he is considerate, polite, talks to you not at your, and he is humble. He even calls his patients in!! how many doctors out there do that? Practically none. He performed the surgery on my husband, he had three herniated discs. The day of the surgery my husband started to feel almost back to normal. It has been almost a month and he is just about back to feeling 100% normal. We are so grateful and thankful for Dr. Ostrup. He is the doctor to see if you want not only the best and with years of experience, but one that cares and takes the time to talk to his patients, listen to concerns, answer questions etc. We are so grateful for having him in San Diego and to have him as my husbands doctor.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2016

Dr. Richard Ostrup was a highly recommended referral for my degenerative spondylolisthesis. I was experiencing excruciating pain and losing the ability to walk and use my legs. Dr. Ostrup performed a laminectory for spondylolisthesis, which was causing severe central spinal stenosis. My pain is gone and I am now able to walk without a walker or a cane and am not in need of pain medication. Dr. Ostrup is an exceptional neurosurgeon who is realistic and compassionate. His practice manager, Erica, is remarkably kind and proficient.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2016

I was in severe pain when I made my appointment with Dr. Ostrup. I had tried physical therapy, had been to a chiropractor, had epidural shots and nothing could relieve my suffering for any considerable period of time. The office staff, I spoke with Erica who is terrific, got my appointment and had my consultation with Dr. Ostrup. He was very courteous, informative, absolutely no pressure to have the surgery and provided me with some surgery options. After having the surgery I am able to honestly say that I am pain free and have resumed my normal activities that I was doing before the surgery. If you are experiencing that chronic pain that just won't go away you will understand what a relief (miracle) it feels like to be "normal" once again. I am very grateful to Dr. Ostrup for the great work he did in giving me my life "back."

flag | Submitted May 30, 2016

I had a hard time getting any straight answers from this doctor. It seemed like he practices very defensive medicine. I did not feel comfortable with him.

flag | Submitted May 24, 2016

I just wanted to thank you for taking such good care of me these past few months. I really feel good now and rarely even remember that I had the procedure. I made the right decision in having the surgery and I am happy that I picked you as my surgeon. J Foster

flag | Submitted April 10, 2016

Dr Ostrup is an amazing surgeon. He is so caring. I was so fortunate to have him as my surgeon. I had a spinal fusion with removal of a bone metatastis. I came out of surgery pain free and I have recovered and healed. I am doing so well, thanks to Dr. Ostrup.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2016

I chose Dr. Ostrup based on his excellent reputation both in the medical community and among patients. He is very capable, kind, thorough, and takes the time to answer questions.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2016

After years with pain in almost every step I'm now, thanks to the expertise of Dr. Ostrup, experiencing pain free walking. My initial concerns about spinal surgery were death, paralysis, infection, and then, "will it make a difference?". I'm alive, walking, no infection, and pain free! Erica, office staff, was not only extremely accomodating about appointments but pleasant, personable, and professional. Dr. Ostrup's professionalism extended to him talking to me the day after Thanksgiving, office closed, in order to address a concern of mine. By the way. Recovery after surgery took place in a private room at his five star hotel known as Sharp Memorial Hospital where round the clock nurses respond immediately, private bathroom in the room and a couch for family who stay overnight. I even liked the food! Take a peek at his credentials and you will realize why I felt lucky to have had him as my neurosurgeon.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2015

Dr.Ostrup was calm demeanor and caring personality .

flag | Submitted November 2, 2015

Dr. Ostrup has been my surgeon for 5 years and he is the best!!! I am finally feeling better and can function again.

flag | Submitted September 5, 2015

Dr. Richard C Ostrup's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Ostrup is a native of California who attended UC Davis Medical School followed by post graduate training at the University of Michigan and neuro-surgical residency at U.C. San Diego. Additionally, an interest in disorders of peripheral nerves led to a fellowship at the University of Toronto joining the Neurosurgical Medical Clinic. He has been the Chief of Neurosurgery at Mercy Hospital. Dr. Richard Ostrup is board certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgeons. He attended UC Davis medical school where he was awarded the Loren D. Carlson award for outstanding research and graduated as a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha honor medical society. He did his post graduate training at the University of Michigan and Neuro-Surgical Residency at U.C San Diego. Additionally an interest in disorders of peripheral nerves led to a fellowship at the University of Toronto prior to joining the Neurosurgical Medical Clinic in 1987. Dr. Ostrup has served as the chief of Neurosurgery at both Sharp Memorial Hospital in San Diego and Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla. He is the co-inventor of the Camino Intracranial Pressure Monitoring Device. Currently, Dr. Ostrup is the affiliated Neuro trauma coordinator for the San Diego Chargers and has a strong interest in concussions and sports neurosurgery in addition to his interest in the spine, complex spine, brain tumors, and peripheral nerves. For the past 12 years, Dr. Ostrup has been voted by his peers as a top neurosurgeon in San Diego magazine. He is a member of the National Eagle Scout Association.

• English

• Spinal fusion
  • Peripheral neuropathy
  • Brain tumor

• Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
  • Certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery
  • Voted one of San Diego's Top Neurosurgeons - San Diego Magazine 12 years in a row