You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Richard C Ostrup

After years with pain in almost every step I'm now, thanks to the expertise of Dr. Ostrup, experiencing pain free walking. My initial concerns about spinal surgery were death, paralysis, infection, and then, "will it make a difference?". I'm alive, walking, no infection, and pain free! Erica, office staff, was not only extremely accomodating about appointments but pleasant, personable, and professional. Dr. Ostrup's professionalism extended to him talking to me the day after Thanksgiving, office closed, in order to address a concern of mine. By the way. Recovery after surgery took place in a private room at his five star hotel known as Sharp Memorial Hospital where round the clock nurses respond immediately, private bathroom in the room and a couch for family who stay overnight. I even liked the food! Take a peek at his credentials and you will realize why I felt lucky to have had him as my neurosurgeon.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2015

Dr.Ostrup was calm demeanor and caring personality .

flag | Submitted November 2, 2015

flag | Submitted September 5, 2015

My experience with Dr. Richard Ostrup was nothing short of wonderful from start to finish! Typically, a medical assistant or a nurse calls you from the waiting room, but here at his La Jolla office, Dr. Ostrup comes out to greet you, a real personal touch! Immediately upon speaking with him about the condition of my back, Dr. Ostrup displayed a very compassionate, confident and relaxed demeanor. I also found that he had a very relatable sense of humor. I felt very at ease and comfortable as I could tell that he understood exactly how I felt and wanted to help my situation. Dr. Ostrup was able to explain how I was feeling and the discomfort I had without me really having to tell him, which was a relief because before seeing him I didn’t feel that anyone else understood. He thoroughly reviewed all of my options and recommended the least evasive approach to improve my quality of life. I never felt rushed to make a decision, although after our consult I decided to move forward that day. While I waited for my surgery to be schedule, which was not long they helped me to manage my pain. When my pain became so overwhelming, they went out of their way to reschedule my surgery by moving it up a week! Sometimes patients can have unrealistic expectations on how they will feel after having surgery; I was one of those patients! I thought all of my pain would be gone right after surgery, but he was very honest with me so I knew exactly what to expect. So far everything that he explained to me happened exactly how he said it would. I feel that my experience was picture perfect and I feel blessed that I was in such good hands. On the day of my surgery, he made himself available to make sure I didn’t have any last questions and that I was comfortable. The team for the surgery was excellent as well, which eased my anxiety immensely and before I knew it, it was over. Besides the pain from the incision, my back pain was gone immediately. Six weeks after my surgery my leg pain was completely gone and my back felt great. It is now two months after surgery and the sensation that I had lost in my foot has come back and I continue to regain strength. I had several follow-up appointments after the surgery and each time I felt that Dr. Ostrup and his office assistant Erica really cared about my well-being. Getting appointments for follow-up care were easy and convenient. I was even late to one appointment because of traffic and they still accommodated me, instead of making me reschedule. Before I had the surgery, the pain interfered with even the smallest of task and I had difficulty sleeping. The pain made it hard for me to play or even interact with my children. Having the surgery was the best decision for me, I feel like I have my life back! If surgery is an option for you, I highly recommend and trust Dr. Ostrup for the job.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2015

Dr. Ostrup is amazing! My sister, age 62, has Down syndrome. Lisa has severe Basilar Invagination with lower brainstem and upper spinal cord compression, which is a condition common to people with Down syndrome. In the beginning of 2015, she experienced progressive weakness in her legs/arms/hands and surgery was only option. Otherwise she would be completely paralyzed with a feeding tube within three months. Surgery (Suboccipital Craniectomy and Occipital to C1-C4 fusion) was preformed on June 1st and only expectation was to maintain her condition and prevent any further deterioration. It has been 8 weeks since surgery and with the help of Physical Therapists and Occupational Therapists, Lisa is walking and using her arms and hands. Dr. Ostrup is a miracle worker. He has exceeded all expectations of recovery and achieved a life changing outcome. Our family and friends praise this outstanding Neurosurgeon, Dr, Richard Ostrup.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2015

Dr. Ostrup and Erica gave me the best care I could have imagined! Thanks!

flag | Submitted July 13, 2015

Dr. SAVED MY LIFE!!!!! I was diagnosed with a grade 4 tumor in my brain. I was given 3 months to live. Dr. Ostrup performed the surgery to remove it. that was 12 years ago. I see him yearly now

flag | Submitted July 6, 2015

I would highly recommend Dr. Ostrup if you are seeking the services of a neurosurgeon. To date I have had three spinal surgeries performed by Dr. Ostrup. One was cervical at C3 -4 having a former fusion at C5-6 out of state. It was on an emergency basis with him operating two days after seeing me. That surgery saved me from probable paralysis from the neck down. I still don't know how he stands on his feet for a 9 hour surgery, but he does and never left me. Dr. Ostrup holds my highest regards for his skills in saving my quality of life with that one surgery. Besides his technical and medical skills, he has great compassion and caring for his patients. He tells you how it is, which I like. He listens well, has a sense of humor, and is invested in me getting better. I have now had two lumbar surgeries, as well with the last being in December. Although my medical path has not been easy, I do know I can depend on Dr. Ostrup to be there for me should I need him in the future. You can not find a better doctor and more importantly a genuine caring human being in Dr. Ostrup.

flag | Submitted July 5, 2015

I've had two spinal surgeries with Dr. Ostrup; one in 2007 and one recently in 2015-both in different areas of the spine. It would take me way to long to explain the pain that I was in prior to both surgeries, but my quality of life has improved tremendously. Dr. Ostrup is very knowledgably and a gifted surgeon who will speak to you in laymen terms so you understand what he is doing and has done. I would recommend Dr. Ostrup to anyone; he is the best!

flag | Submitted June 1, 2015

I spent several years in pain due to spondylolisthesis (one disk slipped down over the other resulting in a 25% spinal column blockage and had severe spinal stenosis). Would not have opted for a fusion, but it was the only solution. Dr. Ostrup performed a double spinal fusion in Sept 2014. He is an extremely talented surgeon and I also did my research before selecting him. He is the current Division Chief of Neurosurgery at Sharp Memorial and past Div Chief at Scripps Memorial. Finding out that he also operates on other physicians wives was a great comfort in chosing him. Not only a gifted surgeon, he makes you feel like a treasured friend when in his care. Pretty much walks on water in my book.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2015

Dr. Richard C Ostrup's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Ostrup is a native of California who attended UC Davis Medical School followed by post graduate training at the University of Michigan and neuro-surgical residency at U.C. San Diego. Additionally, an interest in disorders of peripheral nerves led to a fellowship at the University of Toronto joining the Neurosurgical Medical Clinic. He has been the Chief of Neurosurgery at Mercy Hospital. Dr. Richard Ostrup is board certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgeons. He attended UC Davis medical school where he was awarded the Loren D. Carlson award for outstanding research and graduated as a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha honor medical society. He did his post graduate training at the University of Michigan and Neuro-Surgical Residency at U.C San Diego. Additionally an interest in disorders of peripheral nerves led to a fellowship at the University of Toronto prior to joining the Neurosurgical Medical Clinic in 1987. Dr. Ostrup has served as the chief of Neurosurgery at both Sharp Memorial Hospital in San Diego and Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla. He is the co-inventor of the Camino Intracranial Pressure Monitoring Device. Currently, Dr. Ostrup is the affiliated Neuro trauma coordinator for the San Diego Chargers and has a strong interest in concussions and sports neurosurgery in addition to his interest in the spine, complex spine, brain tumors, and peripheral nerves. For the past 12 years, Dr. Ostrup has been voted by his peers as a top neurosurgeon in San Diego magazine. He is a member of the National Eagle Scout Association.

• University Of California, Davis School Of Medicine (Grad. 1979)

• Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
  • Certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery
  • Voted one of San Diego's Top Neurosurgeons - San Diego Magazine 12 years in a row

Updates

• Postal Code has been updated from "92101" to "92037". Address has been updated from "2100 5th Ave #200" to "9850 Genesse Avenue". Suite has been updated from "None" to " 770".

December 16, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "After years with pain in almost every step I'm now, thanks to the expertise of Dr. Ostrup, experiencing pain free walking. My initial concerns about spinal sur..."

December 12, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Dr.Ostrup was calm demeanor and caring personality ."

November 2, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Ostrup has been my surgeon for 5 years and he is the best!!! I am finally feeling better and can function again."

September 5, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "My experience with Dr. Richard Ostrup was nothing short of wonderful from start to finish! Typically, a medical assistant or a nurse calls you from the waiting ..."

August 18, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Ostrup is amazing! My sister, age 62, has Down syndrome. Lisa has severe Basilar Invagination with lower brainstem and upper spinal cord compression, whic..."

July 24, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Ostrup and Erica gave me the best care I could have imagined! Thanks!"

July 13, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. SAVED MY LIFE!!!!! I was diagnosed with a grade 4 tumor in my brain. I was given 3 months to live. Dr. Ostrup performed the surgery to remove it. that wa..."

July 6, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "I would highly recommend Dr. Ostrup if you are seeking the services of a neurosurgeon. To date I have had three spinal surgeries performed by Dr. Ostrup. One ..."

July 5, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I've had two spinal surgeries with Dr. Ostrup; one in 2007 and one recently in 2015-both in different areas of the spine. It would take me way to long to explai..."

June 1, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I spent several years in pain due to spondylolisthesis (one disk slipped down over the other resulting in a 25% spinal column blockage and had severe spinal ste..."

May 2, 2015
  • A new 4.2-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Ostrup did a excellent job putting my skull cap back in. I had a severe head injury where I bled in all three levels in the brain and was in induced comma..."

March 26, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Ostrup&his assistant(Erica) which I been dealing with the last 1-2 months. To piggy back on what some of the others wr..."

March 23, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "As a massage therapist for 37 years, I'm used to being the caregiver. A large herniated disc quickly changed that. I was in excruciating pain. At least 3 doctor..."

March 19, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I had been an athlete my entire 47 years engaging in surfing, moutainbiking, karate, gym workouts, yoga, running, skiing, enduro mx, skateboarding and many..."

December 18, 2014
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "I wanted to take a moment to help readers understand how wonderful of a Nerosurgian Dr. Ostrup is. I have spinalstinoius and I have undergone prior experimental..."

December 15, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I can not say enough about Dr. Ostrup. He had come highly recommended, but he surpassed all expectations. During my initial appointment, Dr. O was very patient ..."

December 11, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I know Dr Ostrup both as a physician colleague and the surgeon I chose for back surgery in 2007 and again in 2014. No 9ne knows a physicians capability better t..."

December 11, 2014
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "I discovered I had a brain tumor in July, and, by the grace of God, met Dr. Ostrup. After five minutes, I knew he was the man for the job, with the highest me..."

September 12, 2014