Ratings for Dr. Aroop K. Pal

My experience with Dr. Pal was a train wreck and ultimately disrupted my life such that I was fired from my job. I have a rare blood condition called "Coagulopathy - not otherwise specified", meaning I don't clot well and have a history of uncontrolled and excessive post-op bleeding. The only known effective treatment to prevent post-op bleeding according to me my hematologist and the Mayo Clinic, is giving me four units of Fresh Frozen Plasma and a drug, Amicar. Despite emphatically informing Dr. Pal and 10 other KUMed physicians and nurses of my clotting disorder and the necessary treatment, they: - Failed to acknowledge and treat my blood condition prior to an ERCP procedure - Failed to consult with my hematologist as I requested - Failed to consult with the hospital's own hematologist - Failed to adequately inform me of the risks of the ERCP procedures, which can include post-op bleeding leading to death. This led to confusion and chaos immediately prior to the scheduled procedure and ultimately to a decision to delay the full procedure. The morning after this debacle, Dr. Pal came to my hospital room and talked as if everything went as well as possible. I was horrified and shocked to observe him unwilling to admit his failure and his attempts to rationalize it after the fact. Fortunately, I made audio recordings my of conversations with Dr. Pal and others which accurately documents the variance between his comments before and after the failed procedure. Fifty-one days later KUMed finally performed the full ERCP procedure, but by that time I had been fired from my job. If Angie's List had a category for integrity, unfortunately I would give Dr. Pal and KUMed an F. I don't expect physicians and hospitals to be perfect, but I do hold them responsible to be truthful and make restitution when they cause harm to a patient. Should you have questions or need additional information, don't hesitate to contact me.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2014

Dr. Aroop K. Pal's Credentials

• University Of Kansas School Of Medicine (Grad. 2002)