Ratings for Dr. Nancy C. Somer

The issue I have with Dr. Somer is that I do not think she reads past medical files. Dr Somer is very unprofessional is is too quick to dx- with out even asking any questions or tests. I find that Dr. Somer dxs me based on age and weight- without looking at my on going medical issues or putting them into consideration.

flag | Submitted January 2, 2009

Dr. Somer is very helpful and willing to listen to issues without judgement.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2008

Agree w/comments about bedside manner. She is very dismissive and comes across as cool, aloof and condescending. Planning to change PCP for a better "fit".

flag | Submitted April 18, 2008

I agree with all comments pertaining to her concern with weight. Her poor bedside manner should have been enough for me to find a new PCP sooner. I have left her office multiple times in tears because of her blunt comments about my weight. Her nursing staff I did not have a problem with, they were friendly and helpful. One particular secretary, however, was not as polite. I never waited longer than 15 minutes to see Dr. Somer. After being a patient for quite a few years, I have found a physician I feel is a better match for me.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2007

The first several comments are dead-on with my experience. Dr. S was abrupt, dismissive, patronizing, and unprofessional compared with the fine MD's I encountered when I lived in NYC. (Wish I could still go to my old doctors, but they're much too far away now.) Office follow-up regarding referral requests were poor. Dr. Somer seems personally and work-wise fixated with weight issue and focuses on it to the exclusion of all other health concerns. She wrote a letter to the editor that was printed in New York magazine last fall that showed her attitude toward the overweight. Interesting, as she has/had an extremely obese physician's assistant in her own office. Wonder how that woman feels? I am in the process of changing primary care physicians and assume it can only get better from here.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2007

I also at first found the Dr somer to be abrupt and snooty and lecture me, but when I pointed this out to her, she humbly apologized for coming across that way. several years later 2004, she saved my life when she found right away all my arteries in the heart badly clogged and she made sure I got the fix from the best people right away. A saying goes "he or she that saves one life - saves the world" I owe her lots - more than words can say.

flag | Submitted September 28, 2006

Dr. Somer is very unprofessional. Everything that is wrong with me she blames on my weight. She tells me that I have a fever because I'm overweight . Also, she told me that no amount of meds will help me because I'm overweight. On my own time- I lost 33 lbs and all she told me was that "I had a lot more to go." She is not a doctor that deals with diets or people's weight. She is a family doctor. I understand that if you're over weight that you can have health problems; however, if you're going to see a doctor because you have a sore throat and an on-going fever then it is unprofessional to say these types of things to your patient. Dr. Somer rushes the appts and makes you wait 20-40 minutes to see her. She does not listen to everything you say- and will tell you that you have a "cold." My mother ended up in the ER because she told her that she had a "cold-" she swelled up and couldn't breathe. I refuse to see her again because of this.

flag | Submitted August 5, 2006

I too have felt rushed and blown off by Doc Sommer. She seems knowledgable, but that's if you even are given the chance to say your own peace.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2006

I told her my symptoms and she didn't even want to hear them. She blew off every question I had and rushed through the initial interview. She may very well be a good doctor but if you're looking for a doctor who will be patient and listen to you, she is not the one for you.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2004

Dr. Nancy C. Somer's Credentials

• Umdnj-Robt W Johnson Med Sch, New Brunswick Nj 08901 (Grad. 1991)

Top Hospitals in Woodbridge, NJ