Ratings for Dr. Antonia Mattei

Most compassionate and understanding doc I have ever used. Medicine is an art, and she is a master artist!

flag | Submitted May 1, 2016

First I should say I am an RN and I have worked in healthcare administration so I know exactly how a doctor's office should be run and how billing works . I went to Dr. Mattei for years & really enjoyed meetings with her directly. However her office was always terrible. They always answer phones "hello, please hold" & either disconnect your or put you on hold for 10 minutes. It takes many tries to get through. Then you rarely actually get an appointment with Dr. Mattei instead of her staff. Worst, they do everything they can to force you to make constant appointments though out the year in order to bill insurance as often as possible. They require "med check" visits twice a year before they write prescriptions. Now, as a nurse I know, every time you visit they should update your current medications. Requiring a separate visit for this is criminal. Now the staff CLAIM they will combine this with other visits, but then they conveniently "forget". For example, once about 1-2 months after a visit they refused to refill a prescription until I came in yet again for this med check, saying "I hadn't reminded them to do a med check previously." Disgusting. Also they will refuse to combine a visit for 2 issues-as in my case a pap smear and an asthma check up. Again, this is purely to charge the insurance company twice. Once I even asked when scheduling could I set up an extra long appointment for both these check ups at the same time. The secretary said yes. Only once I got there the Nurse Practitioner who specifically did the asthma check ups refused to do both on the same day. On yet another day, I was running late for an appointment and called from my house (about 10 miles away) to let them know, The secretary told me "no problem, we'll see you when you get here." I drove straight there only to be told since I was late I would have to reschedule. Then there was the time I discovered the Nurse Practitioner flat out forget to document a visit I made in my chart. These people have zero regard for their patient's time or money. Imagine in one year needing 2 med checks, an asthma check, a pap smear, then any additional appointments if you get sick. All requiring copays and even time off work. And most have other doctor/dentist type appointments in the same year to pay for and get to. Yet their office sees no problem with any of this purely because they get to keep charging insurance for all that volume. It's totally a disgrace and they should be ashamed.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2015

Staff is attentive and uses technology such as email and scheduling well. I have called with issues and while not being able to get dr Mattei I was able to get another dr in same office. Dr Mattei always listens to my concerns and we discuss the matter. It's never her way or the highway. It's always is a patient/doctor approach which I appreicate. Looks to see what is on my chart from my other doctors and other labs before making a sound decision.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2015

I went to Dr. Mattei after finding a lump in my breast. I had been to her for several years and specifically went to this practice because it employs female doctors. I do not see men doctors for female issues....it is just a thing I have. At my appointment, Dr Mattei walked into the room with a man and explained that he was a resident in training and accompanying her that day. I said that I was not comfortable with that and he excused himself. Dr. Mattei then proceeded to lecture me about what a teaching moment it would have been for him to be in the exam room with us and why did I have such a problem? She had absolutely no concern for how I felt or what my wishes were as a patient. So much for making me feel at ease with a lump in my breast---I left there more stressed out than when I arrived due to her making me feel guilty. Well, I left and never ever went back and took my family with me. Your uncaring and arrogant bedside manner cost you a family of patients! Would never go back!

flag | Submitted February 7, 2014

Worst practice ever! Dr Mattei doesn't care enough about the doctors she is employing, for example Dr. Lisa Plunkett worst practictioner I ever met! And Dr. Mattei would not even speak to me - a 20 year patient to hear about my concerns! I wasted my morning after 10+ days of a flu and sinus cold to go in and ask for an antibiotic and I got instructions to use a nedipod to drain my nose and call in 3-4 days (when my sinus infection gets so bad I can't get out of bed - AGAIN) and MAYBE they will give me an antibiotic. Reason - for the better of general population - since antibiotics are overprescribed! Are you kidding me! I never misuse antibiotics, but when I get a serious sinus infection - I NEED ONE! SHAME ON THIS RIDICULOUS practice! Find a real set of doctors, who care enough to LISTEN TO THEIR PATIENTS!

flag | Submitted January 14, 2014

I really like Dr. Mattei. She is very thorough, knowledgeable and takes the time to sit down and talk to you.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2011

Hunterdon Medical Center should be an example for the rest of the USA! Organized, Clean, and Computerized! Way to Go!!

flag | Submitted August 5, 2009