Ratings for Dr. James E. Carnes

I felt it was necessary to leave a review of this practice, the staff and the facility. The office is located in the hospital, however the patient rooms and office areas are antiquated. Paper charts are stacked everywhere, exam rooms are musty and dingy. They do not accept credit cards and this is an inconvenience nowadays for most people. They also do not state their accept methods of payment anywhere on their outdated website. The office staff who work at the checkout and patient payment area are rude and abrupt. Worse than the items mentioned above is the overall uncaring and dismissive attitude of the staff and one particular provider, Dr. Carnes. I am a caregiver to one of his patients and personally witnessed him talking down, interrupting and being downright dismissive and insulting to his patient. He needs to reevaluate his bedside manner, tact and communication with patients. He treated us as if we were stupid, ignorant for asking certain questions and wasting his time with trivial paperwork that needed his signature. Dr. Carnes is not a caring doctor and will have little time nor attention to devote to personal patient care. He was also observed immediately after our appointment, openly discussing it with another provider in the hallway. I can see from reviews here, and on other websites, that my experience is not unique. I helped my friend, who was in tears because of their experience, back to the car and we then decided to seek medical care elsewhere. I hope you would reconsider any future treatment with SC Neuro and Dr. JE Carnes.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2017

We were there so he could confirm a diagnosis of adult hydrocephalus given by GP. He didn't look at the CT scan or report while we were there. He asked few questions, walked my mother down the hall and told her she needed to do exercises to strengthen her leg muscles. She had fallen twice before the appointment. (She's fallen again since. Had nothing to do with the strength of her thigh muscles.) He said he didn't believe in the treatment for NPH and then asked my mom if she wanted a hole drilled in her head. Unbelievable. Not only did he not treat her, I had to do a lot of convincing to get her to ask for a second opinion. What happened to "first do no harm?"

flag | Submitted November 15, 2012

This guy was not helpful at all. He seemed as though he did not care about why I was there. I told him about my pain and he made me feel as if I was some nut case that was wasting his time. I try to tell myself - maybe he was just having a bad day.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2008

He was late because he was on call (he said). I've only seen him once so far, but he seems like a caring guy to me.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2006

MOST EXCELLENT

flag | Submitted April 2, 2006

Dr. James E. Carnes's Credentials

• Medical University Of South Carolina College Of Medicine (Grad. 1946)

Commercial Insurance Company