Ratings for Dr. Reginald D. Barnes

Front office is the WORST! I went in for a "Well Vision Exam" through VSP. Since they're in VSP's network, the exam *should* have been free... well, the receptionist told me that I needed to also pay with my primary insurance, even though I only had an eye exam that should have been covered. I ended up paying a $50 co-pay there, then it turned out I shouldn't have had to. VSP had no record of the visit (Barnes' office never notified them), so I had to jump through hoops to get them to refund my co-pay. The staff is surly, rude, and not helpful, not to mention I had to wait a good 45 minutes for an appointment when no one else was in the office. As a doctor he's OK, but the ineptitude of the staff is not worth your time.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2013

If you seek prompt service, this may not be the practice for you. I have been to this practice a couple of times. The front office staff is friendly, as well as the medical technicians. However, Dr. Barnes' office OVERBOOKS in the worst way! Although I had an appointment for an eye exam, which included dilation, I waited for over an hour before being taken back to the exam room. And even then, the doctor wasn't ready to see me. So...I sat there another 15-20 minutes, waiting for them to even put in the drops to dilate my eyes. I finally gave up and left because I didn't have all day to spend in this office. There were probably 10 people waiting to see him at that point. Granted, this is not the only doctor who overbooks; However, I think it's inconsiderate for this doctor - or any doctor - to overbook patients. If I was approx 1.5 hours late for an appointment, the doctor would want me to reschedule. Very inconsiderate.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2012

As far as I can tell, Barnes is a great doctor. He answered my questions to my satisfaction. I went through a number of tests, and he was very friendly. I didn't have any issues with the staff or the billing, but then again I just had a regular checkup so it wasn't anything complicated. This probably goes for any eye exam, but be ready for the exam to take an hour or so - you have to wait for a while after they give you the eye drops to dilate your pupils before they can perform the next tests.

flag | Submitted April 20, 2010

I have this doctor's office two chances. Dr. Barnes is very personable and a good physician, but his front office staff is horrible. They attempted to charge me for services that were not rendered. Even though I was told prior to the appointment that my insurance was accepted, the front office person told me that my insurance would not cover my visit and I had to pay out of pocket. I recently inquired about my prescription and she initially told me that it was not in my file. After prodding her for awhile, she located my prescription. It's sad to see a good practice ruined by unprofessional staff.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2009

I moved to DC about 3 years ago and had yet to find a good doctor. Dr. Barnes changed that - I will go back to him again. His eye exam was extremely thorough and he explained each step along the way. His staff is a bit slow and inattentive but he's worth the wait.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2009

I have been to Dr. Barnes twice and I think that he is competent opthalmologist, but I have had billing issues both times I have visited him. I think he is a good doctor and his medical staff is good, but his front office staff may make the visit not worth the trouble.

flag | Submitted October 21, 2008

Dr. Barnes is very helpful and patiently exlains the problem with your eye and discussed the solutions and long term effects. His staff too is helpful and understanding. Very minimal wait period and you get a very good feeling leaving the office

flag | Submitted January 22, 2008

I have beeen his patient for over five years. He has helped so much that I now see him only once a year, down from three times a year. He is extremely knowledgeable. His staff are very professional, yet you feel like family when you visit. His bedside manner is superb. I have referred three people to him, and they love him.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2007

DO NOT go here. It is a bad office, they wrote me an prescription just to bill me but didn't perform the right exam. I had to go to a specialist to get correct treatment. They tried to bill me for 2 services and are under investigation now. The office is not staffed with professionals and I am surprised even accredited to practice.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2006

Dr. Reginald D. Barnes's Credentials

• University Of Michigan Medical School (Grad. 1990)