Ratings for Dr. John E. Barkenbus

In my experience, the negative reviews are sadly accurate. It is hard to believe that a doctor can put so many walls between himself and his patients. To have people with mental angst not be able to get through to office staff, but be told by a recording to leave s message and calls will be answered within 48-72 hours (if you're lucky), is unconscionable. Appointments are months out and when you are dealing with chemicals that affect the brain, there has to be access which this office does not provide. Calls are returned by someone without medical knowledge or people skills; clearly this person doesn't care or reflects the doctor's lack of caring-- can't say which, but he has to be finding a severe lack of medical customer service. Ignoring patients makes one wonder if this psychiatrist took a Hippocratic oath, and if so, how he could allow his patients to be treated as second class citizens. If the care was good it wouldn't matter but he is disengaged from his patients, and if something doesn't work he doesn't seem to want to keep trying. Shame on you, Dr Barkenbus, and the dishonor you bring to the people who are forced to beg you for help. We recommend that people in need search for help anywhere but here.

flag | Submitted August 25, 2016

I'm writing this ~3 years after I stopped seeing him FWIW. I'm depressive/Bipolar II/MDD/dysthymia and have fought it on and off my whole life (attempted once at age 14). He seemed OK at the initial visit and gave a bunch of electronic assessments. Recommended some drugs that helped some for a while. Never saw him again, only saw a PA. She was good but not great. After about a year under "his" care, my therapist recommended Dr. Elizabeth Davis over by Winston-Salem. She immediately gave me a genetic test and adjusted my meds accordingly and I had a lot of improvement. So why didn't Dr. Barkenbus/staff not bring up genetic testing? This is why they got a "poor" on helpfulness and knowledge. FYI and to bring you up to date, I just discovered TMS (Trans-cranial Magnetic Stimulation) and am very hopeful. Search "tms therapy depression" if you're dysthymic.

flag | Submitted May 12, 2016

Doctors at this office seem competent, however office staff is a NIGHTMARE! They are hostile and rude. Getting a live person on the phone is a joke, phone system designed to force you to leave a message that will not be returned for days, and they become viciously mean if you complain. The inability to have any medication needs discussed is beyond negligent. They are a lawsuit waiting to happen. The rudest of office staff, a woman who has been there since it opened, actually posts fake reviews of their clinic online, written to counter any negative reviews they get for their horrible patient care. Shady, scary, and very detrimental to mental health patients. Reading the reviews on their Other NC office made us realize these are serious issue they have had for years, don't care to fix, and seem to cover up rather than address. Do NOT use this practice. Find another doctor. Cannot begin to stress this enough.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2016

You will wait a LONG time for your appt. Once seen things go smoothly however the wait can be as long as an hour. To much for me.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2015

I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Barkenbus and his staff. As a mother of a autistic child I really feel like Dr. Barkenbus and his staff are going to be a blessing to my sons ongoing never ending treatment plan.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2013

Dr. Barkenbus was very unhelpful. He didn't care about my condition whatsoever. He was visibly bored during the exam. This came as a surprise since the other doctors I've seen have been concerned and try to help figure out what's wrong. Barkenbus pushed meds on me and then told me goodbye, that I will be seeing a NP in the future.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2012

Dr. John E. Barkenbus's Credentials

• Indiana University School Of Medicine (Grad. 2001)