Ratings for Dr. Brian C. Hocking

While I was waiting for my appointment my 2 year-old daughter became a little noisy. She wanted to play with the water cooler in the lobby. As I was trying to calm her and take her outside Dr. Hocking came out and rudely told me I needed to take my child outside, that she was disturbing his work. He didn't have a client at the time and I was doing my best to get her out of the building before she could fuss again. My husband was 5 minutes away and coming pick her up. I explained to him that he was running an errand while I was waiting for my appointment and would be here before my appointment was to start. I understand him being upset that my daughter was being loud. His handling of the situation was nowhere close to being professional. I was coming to him for counseling and his attitude did not help my anxiety or the situation I wanted to see him for. He refused to meet with me because I had my daughter with me and he insisted on rescheduling our appointment. By then I was crying and trying to keep myself calm in front of my daughter. He never offered any words of comfort or showed any compassion for what was happening. I refused to reschedule and would never recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2017

Went to this doctor a couple times during a marriage problem which was mostly due to my husband's mental health. Dr. Hocking accused me of things I had not done in a very mean and harsh manner. After three years of therapy, husband was no better but only worse. No one should ever go to this doctor.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2017

I decided because I was not getting any direction or input from him to stop seeing him. I called him, left a voicemail. He called me in less than a minute extremely angry that I was not seeing him any longer...very angry, almost to a rage, and then got into a personal attack.....I had to hang up. It almost seemed like my stopping counseling was a personal attack. Very disturbing. He definitely has some issues. I would stay away from him.....if you start with him, don't ever try to leave counseling.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2016

Very direct, cuts thru the fluff to help deal with issues better and sooner. He knows when to push but also when to ease up in a session. He is most definitely a seasoned therapist with many years of experience and it shows.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2015

Dr. Hocking treated my very depressed daughter for about 18 months. He was absolutely the worst therapist I have ever encountered...and I am in the field. Extremely controlling and defensive. Inappropriate sarcasm and bullying in an attempt to both distance himself from perceived criticism and control the session. I did report him to the APA years ago. If you are a mouse, you may find him helpful. But I can't imagine why. I wouldn't recommend him to anyone for any reason.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2015

I just can't believe all these negative comments. I've gone to Dr. Hocking for years and he's always been extremely helpful. His office isn't messy and he's a great listener. He has helped me through depression and anxiety, postpartum depression, and really horrible times with a child. Maybe some people had a personality conflict with him, but he is neither unprofessional nor negative.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2015

I have to echo the other comments about his demeanor. I too was looking for someone tough who would help me work on my issues, but he doesn't fit the bill. He will get angry with you if you don't do what he says. I think he's controlling. Worse though, after I left him and discontinued treatment, he did not notify his staff that I had discontinued, and therefore I ended up being billed for 7 missed sessions. As I was in the midst of a divorce at the time, the bills didn't find me, and I didn't find out about this until years later when I went to buy a house and found that I had credit issues because of him.

flag | Submitted December 16, 2014

This doctor commits hippa viloations unless you want all your info all over charolettsville don't go!

flag | Submitted October 9, 2014

This guy is VERY unprofessional during my sessions with him. His office looks like a tornado went through it. He doesn't give any positive advice at all, just sits and listen without taking any notes. I will never ever recommended him to anyone!

flag | Submitted January 7, 2014

Dr. Hocking used very unprofessional language in my session to the point that I will not continue with him and will not send anyone to him for therapy. Some say that I should report him to the medical board.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2013