Ratings for Dr. Alan H. Rosenbaum

Very interested and concerned and really an expert in his field.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2012

My mother saw this doctor once a week for a dozen years. Last year, she suffered the loss of her husband. She was very depressed and Dr. R. treated her with meds and therapy. She recently quit both. I tried to contact the Dr. to determine a plan to help her and get his opinion as to whether she was a danger to herself. His reticence to simply return my call was very upsetting. I had to contact my own therapist to call him. Before I could make a plan, my mother took her life.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2011

Very knowledgable. Everytime I see him, he has new research/breakthroughs to tell me that he has learned. I leave every session with extra knowledge on my mental health. He puts a lot of effort into my case and I assume all his patients. He goes to a lot of seminars all around the world to learn as much as he can to help his patients. I feel like I am getting quality from a well qualified doctor. He loves research. He has first hand past experience with doing studies, also. He listens to you and I feel like he is a solid person you can count on (i.e. returning phone calls). One person commented he isn't a friendly person, but that is not the true. Maybe when they saw him at that particular day he wasn't all smiley. He always is with me. He is very friendly. He is a passionate, gifted doctor.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2010

the comment dated 6/15/07 sounds as if it was made by someone representing the doctor. This man skips appointments with impunity. He does not empower the staff to inform the waiting patient that he is not on the premisis and has not called in regarding his absence. Jerking the patient around is not accepted psychiatric treatment.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2008

My ratings a year ago were misrepresented on this site. Dr was late for my first, which was my last, appointment. He was distant and inept at questioning me. The bill to Blue Cross had a misdiagnosis; thus BC didn't pay because that erroneous diagnosis was not covered. The three staff people who were visible might be the reason his fee is too high. 3 staffers? Perhaps they make him feel important. Thankfully, I found a geat Dr on my second try.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2007

I have been a patient of Dr. Rosenbaum for about 5 years. I have a treatment resistant mood disorder and in the course of my treatment I have seen several very good, highly regarded psychiatrists - Dr. Rosenbaum is the best. His knowledge of the current research, a thorough understanding of the medications and their mechanisms, his personal research with Psychopharmacology Research Corporation, his network with other top doctors, and his association with Wayne State (as a full Professor) make for treatment that is well reasoned, progressive, and effective. He is laid back, but he listens intently and is very responsive; good is not good enough - if there is room for improvement he addresses it proactively. He does not come across as "warm and fuzzy", but he is very caring and compassionate and this will reveal itself (but probably not in your first session). He is more expensive than some, but if you have a difficult case or need top-tier care, then he is the person you should see.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2007

Wish I knew about this site before I made an appointment with Dr. Rosenbaum. I assume he was a very good physician at some time in the past because the Dr who referred him HAD thought he was good, but no longer refers patients to him. Additionally, there is no reason for a Doctor who has a policy of rigid appointment times to be late himself without notifying the patient. At the very least, the staff should be empowered to tell the patient of the lateness the instant the patient signs in.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2007

Several years ago my doctor who I had been seeing for several years and was very good, suddenly went out on a medical leave. But at the time, NONE of the staff would say that the doc was on leave, they would just say they did know where she went. Turned out to be a huge lie. Also found out she had tried to get a letter out to patients saying she was on leave but planned to come back, the head of the clinic refused to let her contact ANY of her patients. I felt so abandoned at the time. Now I am just furious at how unethical the head of the clinic is, and how he twists people's arms to lie when otherwise they wouldn't. They were told they would lose their jobs. It was such a sad time in my life, and to learn that it was worsened by the lack of morals of Dr. Alan R. just is horrible. He even handed some of us off to his PhD nurse who was incompetent, but held a different position in his life. Just pathetic.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2006

Dr seemed more interested in my income than indemonstrating his skill in helping me. Dr was absent from office entire time allotted for my second appointment. Called to say he was sorry he was "late." His written and verabally offered policy is to fine($) a patient for being late and to charge full fee for absence. I have yet to recieive my full fee for his absence.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2006

Very knowledgeable, but cold and distant. Expect polypharmacy, 8 and usually more medications is not unusual. If you have a side effect, you'll get another medication to counter that effect, and it usually has its own side effects. Wait list too long to be seen again. Not very personable. Seems to shuffle medicare patients off to other doctors because their reimbursement is 50%. They are fee-for-service and do not accept any insurance, thought they will courtesy bill for you, you are still responsible up front at time of service the entire amount. Quite a machine in place, but recently several long-term people who were very good, very suddenly left ? ??

flag | Submitted March 14, 2006