Ratings for Dr. William R. Gallivan

Replaced my left knee. 3 weeks post surgery and I already have better flexibility than prior. Great office staff. Was able to watch entire procedure due to having spinal block. Really fascinating and gave me an appreciation of how meticulous he is. Also refers to a great physical therapy practice for rehab. Dr Gallivan listened to my problems with knee, diagnosed and presented options - I chose replacement surgery and glad I did. Highly recommend.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2017

My experience having two hips replaced was mixed. He performed a miracle on my right hip but my left hip op resulted in a dead gluteus medius and missing IT band and tensor fascia lata diagnosed ten months later. He claimed 100 responsibility but refused liability when after 4 months he refused to assist me in revision or contacting a revisionist. When i asked for an offer of settlement he fired me as a patient and threatened to blackball me to any revisionist he referred me to as litigious. I had very warm feelings and high regard for him and went home in shock. I am still recovering from the humiliation and betrayal as i had expected professionalism. He is a decent man but i believe in retrospect the wrong surgeon for me. Dismissive and often emtionally tone deaf. Otherwise kind.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2017

Dr. Gallivan is excellent! I highly recommend him. I have been extremely happy with the results of surgery for a broken ankle. Wonderful bedside manner. Could not be more pleased!

flag | Submitted February 16, 2016

Dr. Gallivan fixed my knee and right arm. He is a wonderful surgeon and my daughter who was 5 @ the time use to call him superman! Because he fixes mom.s boo boos . Now she is an athlete and has a hurt knee and there is one dr. she asks for Superman!

flag | Submitted April 4, 2013

Dr. Gallivan is not only a highly competent surgeon, he has good people skills. It's obvious he loves what he does. He is dedicated to the the most current technologies, is proud of his low infection rate and his goal is to release you from the hospital as soon as its safe and to get you back to functioning as fast as possible.I had my left knee replaced by him last year and my left knee replaced 6 weeks ago. I would recommend him without any hesitation.

Submitted March 7, 2013

Bill was always available to answer questions about the sugical proceedure I was thinking about under going.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2011

Dr. Gallivan performed an outpatient procedure to repair a torn meniscus on my right knee. The surgery went well, but I had another knee problem that he failed to diagnose. Whenever I told Dr. Gallivan the symptoms of my post op knee problems he always told me, "It takes ___ weeks/months to heal from this procedure." He continued to change the post-op healing time from 4 weeks initially, up to more than 6 months while my knee got progressively worse. After 6 months he even had the audacity to say, "The only people that heal from a menisectomy within 4-6 months are patients who are under 30 AND athletic." Note that I am 29 years old and a competitive distance runner.

flag | Submitted March 29, 2011

Gallivan did an ACL reconstruction on my left knee. He made a major mistakes during my surgery - he broke the screw that is used to attach the ligament graft to the bone. There were screw fragments in me knee joint that he failed to recover. He also left a guide wire in my knee that is visible in X-rays to this day. After the surgery, I got an infection in my knee that required two additional surgeries. I am a young healthy active individual so it is very unlikely that the infection was caused by my health and more likely caused by the incompetence of Gallivan leaving foreign objects in my knee joint. On top of the failed surgery, Gallivan inadequately advised me about proper physical therapy techniques and failed to refer me to the right physical therapist. And to add insult to injury, I received bills for my surgery two years after the surgery was done! I still have problems with my knee to this day and it sad that my knee will never be as good as it could have been.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2010

Dr. William R. Gallivan's Credentials

• Jefferson Medical College Of Thomas Jefferson University (Grad. 1986)

Top Urgent Care Centers in Santa Barbara, CA