Ratings for Dr. Michael W. Burke

Some doctor’s think they are God. I smoked for 30 years and quit 18 years ago. My mother died of lung cancer (non-small cell adenocarcinoma). After doing some research I found that chest x-rays are not detailed enough to reveal the beginning stages of lung cancer. I also found that, like with my mom, a high percentage of lung cancer patients don’t show symptoms until it’s too late. After further research I realized that what’s needed is called a low-dose CAT SCAN. Unlike the chest x-ray which is only two dimensional the low-dose CAT SCAN is three dimensional and will reveal the beginning states of lung cancer. I called my primary doctor and insisted on a low dose CAT SCAN. A small spot was found in my right upper lobe. That was followed by a PET SCAN which lite that spot up revealing the cancer. A needle biopsy was performed which led to the diagnosis. I had the same cancer my mom had. The surgery performed was called a lobectomy and my right upper lobe was removed. I had a patient doctor relationship with doctor Burke because of another situation called sleep apnea but when I asked him why he never suggested my having a low-dose CAT SCAN his reply was unbelievable. He said, and I quote, “I would never do that”. I asked why and he said: “that would open up a can of worms”. Can you believe it? Dr. Burke is a lung doctor suggesting that he does not agree with his own patient finding his own cancer by insisting on a low-dose CAT SCAN. His arrogance was astonishing. I was in the hospital for five days. My primary doctor visited me himself every day. My heart doctor visited me himself every day. Dr. Burke never visited me once. I found a research paper online entitled, "The American Association for Thoracic Surgery guidelines for lung cancer screening using low-dose computed tomography scans for lung cancer survivors and other high-risk groups", dated July 2012.The Thoracic Society is an international organization and its purpose is the exchange and sharing of knowledge for lung doctors. If you have ever smoked or are now a smoker I strongly suggest you read this research paper. When I brought this paper to Dr. Burke’s attention he acted as if I had insulted him. It seemed obvious to me that he had never read it. One last point before I close. Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa has a program that began in August of 2011 which suggests a low-dose CAT SCAN for its patients who are current smokers or fit the following guidelines...... If you are 55 to 80 and in the past you smoked one pack a day for 30 years or two packs a day for 15 years or three packs a day for 10 years..... Obviously Dr. Burke does not agree with what Moffitt Cancer Center is suggesting but then it's obvious that Dr. Burke does not keep up with what’s going on in his field. Some doctors think they are God. Dr. Burke’s attitude, incompetence and lack of professionalism suggests to me that he thinks God works for him.

flag | Submitted December 3, 2015

My name is John McGill and I wrote the review below, "Some doctors think they are God" dated Oct 14, 2014. I have an update: Medicare is now suggesting and paying for low dose CAT SCANS as of 2-10-15. Simply copy and paste this following link.......http://www.aafp.org/news/health-of-the-public/20150210medicarelungca.html#.VTe9YlrpxXw.gmail

flag | Submitted April 28, 2015

Some doctor’s think they are God. I smoked for 30 years and quit 18 years ago. My mother died of lung cancer (non-small cell adenocarcinoma). After doing some research I found that chest x-rays are not detailed enough to reveal the beginning stages of lung cancer. I also found that, like with my mom, a high percentage of lung cancer patients don’t show symptoms until it’s too late. After further research I realized that what’s needed is called a low-dose CAT SCAN. Unlike the chest x-ray which is only two dimensional the low-dose CAT SCAN is three dimensional and will reveal the beginning states of lung cancer. I called my primary doctor and insisted on a low dose CAT SCAN. A small spot was found in my right upper lobe. That was followed by a PET SCAN which lite that spot up revealing the cancer. A needle biopsy was performed which led to the diagnosis. I had the same cancer my mom had. The surgery performed was called a lobectomy and my right upper lobe was removed. I had a patient doctor relationship with doctor Burke because of another situation called sleep apnea but when I asked him why he never suggested my having a low-dose CAT SCAN his reply was unbelievable. He said, and I quote, “ I would never do that”. I asked why, and he said, “that would open up a can of worms”. Can you believe it? Dr. Burke is a lung doctor suggesting that he does not agree with his own patient finding his own cancer by insisting on a low-dose CAT SCAN . His arrogance was astonishing. I was in the hospital for five days. My primary doctor visited me himself every day. My heart doctor visited me himself every day. Dr. Burke never visited me once. I found a research paper online entitled, "The American Association for Thoracic Surgery guidelines for lung cancer screening using low-dose computed tomography scans for lung cancer survivors and other high-risk groups", dated July 2012.The Thoracic Society is an international organization and it's purpose is the exchange and sharing of knowledge for lung doctors. If you have ever smoked or are now a smoker I strongly suggest you read this research paper. When I brought this paper to Dr. Burkes attention he acted as if I had insulted him. It seemed obvious to me that he had never read it. One last point before I close. Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa has a program that began in August of 2011 which suggests a low-dose CAT SCAN for its patients who are current smokers or fit the following guidelines...... If your are 55 to 80 and in the past you smoked one pack a day for 30 years or two packs a day for 15 years or three packs a day for 10 years..... Obviously Dr. Burke does not agree with what Moffitt Cancer Center is suggesting but then it's obvious that Dr. Burke does not keep up with whats going on in his field. Some doctors think they are God. Dr. Burkes attitude, incompetence and lack of professionalism suggests to me that he thinks God works for him.

Submitted October 14, 2014

Dr. Michael W. Burke's Credentials

• University Of South Alabama College Of Medicine (Grad. 2004)

Healthnet