Ratings for Dr. Walstir H. Fonseca

It all began with 2 visits to the ER for suspected TIAs, because of slurred speech, droopy eye lid and unsteady gait. All tests were clear, but the ER referred me to some neurologists anyway, just in case. They also advised me to make an appt. with my GP. I made an appointment with Fonseca. As I was telling her about what happened and my symptoms, she cut me off and said that the reason for my symptoms was fatigue. She asked her assistant to run blood tests on my iron and thyroid. She didn't even offer to refer me to a neurologist, like the ER did. I actually cried in her office because I was so frustrated. She told me to call her if I still had symptoms the next Wednesday and to set up an appt with her that Friday. I thought that she should of been more serious, since the ER thought that what I had was a TIA. but nope. The visit lasted 10 minutes and then she was gone. After I left I decided to get a second opinion. I found a very good PA in West Jordan and made an appt with her. She listen to me and did neurological tests. That visit lasted an hour. She even offered to refer me to a neurologist, but since the ER referred me I told her that she didn't have to. The ER referred me to a neurologist at Intermountian Healthcare in Murray. He listen to me and the story of my symptoms. He did more in depth neuro tests during my visit. He had a hunch that I had myasthenia gravis a neuro-muscular autoimmune disease, which can get serious if left untreated. I had a EMP and nerve conduction test the next day. It came out positive. I also had blood tests to confirm suspicions. He had put me on medication even before the final blood test. It took a week to get a diagnosis, by getting a second opinion. I don't know what would of happened if I took Dr. Fonseca's advise to call her if I still had symptoms a few days after. I was at a place then where I couldn't swallow, chew or speak by the end of the day. I told her that. She ignored me.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2017

Dr. Walstir H. Fonseca's Credentials

• Univ Fed De Rio De Janeiro, Fac De Med, Rio De Janeiro, Rj, Brazil (Grad. 1988)

AHC