You may also like

Rate Dr. James G. Norman

Dr. James G. Norman's Ratings

I just completed surgery at the Norman Parathyroid Center. It was just as described on their informative website, www.parathyroid.com. The personal attention, clear communications, and caring treatment I received far exceeded my experiences with other doctors.

Living in San Diego with its plentiful medical facilities, I never expected I would need to go elsewhere for medical treatment.

When my parathyroid disease was diagnosed, I visited one of the city’s top endocrinologists. He referred me to a local surgeon as well as noted (when I asked) that he knew of Dr Norman's Center and spoke highly of it. But he left it to me to choose.

I visited the local surgeon and his approach, after some more testing, was as Dr. Norman described might occur: Wait until he could identify which gland was diseased and be prepared for a much more invasive operation. (An 8" incision vs a 1/2 inch incision, a much longer operation vs 20 minutes, and full anethesia vs. twilight with no breathing tube required.)

That made little sense to me, based on Dr. Norman's explanation on his website, and just common sense. For the first time, I realized that I needed to take responsibility for my own healthcare decisions and not blindly follow another’s recommendations. I read every detail on the website, and it seemed too good to believe. My first reaction, due to my cautiousness and skepticism (as a degreed engineer and physicist) was to question whether the site was more of an infomercial. But as I dug further it was clear that Dr. Norman was trying to convey as much information as possible in as clear a fashion as possible. He was being passionate about what they do.

The surgery was conducted by Dr. Boone, with assistance from Dr. Mitchell and Dr. Lopez. Each stopped by before the surgery to introduce themselves and Dr Boone followed up after the surgery and called in the evening to check on me. Each of the doctor's gave me their cellphone numbers. Every ask your physician for his/her cellphone number?

It's now 5 days after the surgery and I'm like new. Just need to take calcium pills while the other dormant glands wake up and take over.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2910271].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 31, 2015

Today is August 7, 2015 and I am 3 days post op. Dr Norman and Dr. Boone did their magic on me in 27 minutes. He called my two adenonas "monsters" because of their size and amount of PTH being produced. In the interest of time and space, let me say that EVERYTHING you have read in these testimonials and on parathyroid.com is the honest-to-goodness truth. My physical condition was deteriorating on a daily basis. My surgery date had to be changed from Nov. 2014 until now because of insurance issues. I have 14 of the symptoms listed on the website, GERD and heart arrythmias, osteoporosis and fatigue being the worst. This disease runs in my family and Dr. Boone told me just before the procedure, that she suspected I had multiple adenonas because of that. She was right. I doubt any other surgeons anywhere else would come to that conclusion. These doctors' knowledge and insight are unparalleled. My mom (size of an egg), brother ( walnut size), his daughter (three surgeries, size of grapes. Her surgeon didn't check all glands), my son ( size unknown, and still has elevated calcium) , now I have had the surgery. I am the only one fortunate enough to have known about Dr. Norman and his team. If you have this disease, or know someone who does, do yourself a favor and don't even consider going anywhere else. For peace of mind and the best outcome, see the doctors with the most experience and highest success rates. I don't need to say who they are. Lynn Leavitt Ontario, Ca

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2889018].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 7, 2015

Excellent doctor and experience at Norman Parathyroid Center! I traveled from CA to Tampa for my surgery and would highly recommend to anyone with Parathyroid Disease.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2850151].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 26, 2015

Our 18 year old son went to Dr. Norman because a previous surgeon didn't do the job right the first time. The other surgeon took out half of his thyroid, hoping to fix the problem and it was a 4 hour surgery. Unbelieveable. We wish we had known about Dr. Norman and how specialized this type of surgery really is. So much for trusting local doctors. We traveled to Tampa from middle Tennessee. Dr. Norman and Dr. Boone gave us amazing attention. They did a sestamibi scan and then an ultrasound, just as the general surgeon did 6 months ago. The tumor was obvious in the ultrasound and Dr. Norman showed us in his consultation notes where he thought the tumor was - exactly where the ultrasound showed it. Our son was in the operating room for about 40 minutes. where half that time was spent fixing the scar from the previous surgery. Needless to say we aren't happy with the general surgeon or endocrinologist that sent us to him. After Dr. Norman and Dr. Boone operated our son said he felt improvement in his bones and joints within the first 24 hours. We were eating pizza about 3 hours after the operation. Our son couldn't eat for a day after the previous operation because they intubated him and it made his throat too sore to eat. Again, we wish we knew then what we know now. We have nothing but the highest respect and appreciation for Dr. Norman and his group. The whole experience was just amazing as is the continuing follow up care.

Was this rating useful? 5 [[ userState['ratings'][2819218].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 27, 2015

Dr. Norman removed a tumored parathyroid earlier this week and I remain very impressed with his skill, knowledge and care for my medical issue. I am truly grateful to him for taking care of my problem and would strongly recommend him to anyone having a parathyroid issue.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2815851].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 23, 2015

After eight years of feeling so tired and ill and being told repeatedly that all of my blood works were normal, I decided to send my results to Dr Norman for his analysis. Four days later, I had an e-mail from him , confirming
100% , the presence of a parathyroid tumour. This was a great relief - but shocking at the same time, having been told time & again by various doctors here in the UK that I catagorically did not have a parathyroid problem.

I travelled to Tampa where Drs Norman & Politz took great care of me after detecting a significant tumour on my thymus gland. Anyone in the UK who has parathyroid problems should not hesitate to travel to the States - everything works out as stated on Parathyroid.com as far a s hotel accommadation etc is concerned and the hospital care is superb. The aftercare is great too and you have the confidence of being in the hands of the best EndocrineSurgeons in the world. Please don't risk being robbed of years of your life as I did - life is too short & too precious - go to the best. Irene (UK)

Was this rating useful? 4 [[ userState['ratings'][2790679].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 27, 2015

Could not have gone any better,everyone were excellent .
Thanks for making it a very comfortable experience !

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2780341].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 17, 2015

Entire experience was excellent. Staff and doctors were outstanding, courteous, knowledgeable, and professional. Exceeded my expectations. Website was excellent but felt it was a little over the top. If you have hyperparathyroidism this is the only place to go even if you have to go to Tampa, Fl. The old fashioned surgical procedures used by most doctors are outdated and a thing of the past. Bill F Ketchum, Idaho

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2773467].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 10, 2015

When i first heard that i had hyper-parathyroid i was totally lost. I didn't know what it was or what it was doing to me. I am 58 and still learning, Dr Norman thank you for the vision in putting this all together. Your website answered all my questions and gave me a plan of action. Dr Politz and Dr Lopez did the procedure. They both have a great sense of humor and caring attitude. Because of them the surgery was a great success. The whole experience was very positive from the time we checked in and until the time we left after surgery . Even the follow up was great. The staff was friendly and very special. They took good care of my wife and daughter while i was in surgery and recovery. And like the video said you will love the view out their windows when you are awake. If you have to have this procedure this is the place to have it done. Thank you and God bless! Chris form Oak Grove, Mo.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2767608].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 6, 2015

From the first point of contact with Dr. Norman, Dr. Politz and their staff I just knew I had found the answer to my prayers. Their knowledge, expertise, experience, genuine caring and commitment is authentic and the reason I would wholeheartedly recommend them. Their sole focus is strictly on Parathyroid Disease and surgery, performing thousands per year makes them especially qualified and highly specialized which is exactly what you want when choosing a surgeon for any procedure. I had my surgery almost 3 weeks ago and the small one inch incision Dr. Norman performed for the surgery is already healing beautifully...he would have been an amazing tailor...really glad he stuck being a surgeon...:-) Can't believe how good the incision looks in only a little over 2 weeks. So very grateful to both doctors and their staff for their support, goodwill and commitment to healing...they truly are a blessing. They have renewed my faith in doctors and put me on the road to healing. I am excited to see what the next few months will bring...will never forget their help and will always be so very grateful.

Was this rating useful? 4 [[ userState['ratings'][2713817].votes_count ]]