You may also like

Ratings for Dr. James G. Norman

I never thought that I would select a surgeon via the Internet, but I did and it was the correct decision. Upon being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, I immediately sought to educate myself on the condition and I found Dr. James Norman's site, parathyroid.com. Dr. Norman did my surgery and I believe that I would have lost my voice permanently if I had not had a highly experienced parathyroid surgeon like Dr. Norman perform the procedure. In Dr. Norman's words, I had "one of the largest, if not the largest parathyroid tumors" they had seen there. They had to manipulate the nerves to my larnyx from the tumor and according to Dr. Norman "they don't like that." My voice was reduced to a whisper for about two months. Dr. Norman called me every Friday to check on me until my voice suddenly returned, just as he predicted. I am convinced that a less experienced surgeon would have cut or permanently damaged my vocal chord nerves. Dr. Norman has not got the memo that states that doctors don't criticize other doctors. He is very frank, but refreshingly to the point. He does not lack conficence. The process for arranging services at The Norman Parathryoid Center is routine and easy. The Norman Center is spotless, modern, and well-kept, The staff is first-class and the equipment and furnishings are well maintained. Upon checking in, I waited approximately five minutes and there were no further waits. The process is well organized, prompt, and efficient. I was in and out in four hours. I had no pain, minor soreness; we went out to dinner that night. If one has been diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism, I would strongly advise a visit to parathyroid. com to start. The site is easy for a layman to understand. I belive that I know more than the (local) doctors about the disease because of the information there.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2016

Parathyroid issue - do not confuse. book appointment with Norman. I got my parathyroid gland removed by Dr.Politz. I was cured in 20 minutes. I see people comment about post surgery service, Norman and his doctors are very prompt in responding to any queries post surgery. Very professionally run and doctors & staffs great.

flag | Submitted April 20, 2016

I encourage anyone with high blood calcium to work with the Norman Parathyroid Center. They are top notch. I traveled from MD to FL for treatment, and it is the best money I have ever spent. They solved my problem in a 20 minute procedure. Terrific bedside manner, skill, and follow up

flag | Submitted April 16, 2016

superb surgeon. world expert on parathyroid surgery. he and his staff devoted to solving patient problems. i am a retired surgeon and i came from California to see him and Dr Politz

flag | Submitted February 18, 2016

My husband Robert Burns, had surgery one week ago today and we are both so grateful to Drs. Norman, Boone and Lopez. For 11.5 years he suffered from chronic kidney disease, high blood pressure and hypercalcemia. His nephrologist diagnosed his high calcium and PTH as secondary and then tertiary hyperparathyroidism due to his kidney disease telling us nothing could be done about it but take medication (sensipar among others) to try to control the high calcium. His blood pressure was difficult to control and Bob was at the time of surgery on five different drugs just to control his bp. By 2011 he developed prostate cancer and a heart valve problem. In July, 2015 I was researching information on when Sensipar (very expensive drug) would be available as a generic since the drug was draining us financially and his doctor wanted to increase the dose (even more costly) since it was not working effectively to lower his calcium. Not only was Sensipar very expensive even with insurance paying part of the cost, but Bob was nauseated all the time taking it. It was during this search about Sensipar that I stumbled onto the website, parathyroid.com and the more I read on this very informative website, the more convinced I was that my husband had primary hyperparathyroidism and indeed could possibly be cured with surgery done by these surgeons who developed a techinique to inspect all four glands (and remove any adenomas) through a small incision quickly under light anesthesia. We took the information back to his nephrologist and he was not impressed and stood by his tertiary hyperparathyroidism diagnosis. We were then left with the stressful decision to stand with the nephrologist or refer Bob for surgery on our own. This was a difficult and stressful decision for us to make. We made a spread sheet of all his lab studies since 2004 and it seemed obvious to us that according to the detailed information on the website Bob had primary hyperparathyroidism and therefore had one or more adenomas causing the high calcium that was affecting his kidneys, heart and may indeed have even caused the prostate cancer. But the nagging fear that even with all the information on the website, this knowledge did not make me a doctor and therefore maybe we were not understanding the effect chronic kidney disease had on the parathyroid causing high calcium and parathyroid hormone. We decided to refer Bob for evaluation and surgery at the parathyroid center ourselves. Before surgery Dr. Norman told us Bob had primary hyperparathroidism and knew he would find one or more tumors, not hyperplasia of all four glands. And that is what they found, one adenoma and three normal sleeping glands. Bob did very well with the surgery and had nothing more than a sore throat that did not even require tylenol for pain. We stayed at a hotel the night of surgery and Bob felt well enough to eat a normal evening meal and go for a long walk outside that evening. We drove the 500 miles home the next day. Bob took the calcium pills as instructed and had no symptoms of low calcium after surgery. Two days after surgery Bob's blood pressure dropped 20 points and he was taken off one of his blood pressure medications. His heart rate that before surgery ran in the 50's, something his doctor tried in vain with medication to get above 60 immediately after surgery jumped into the 70's. Dr Norman told us his BP may get better and it did immediately and we believe it may continue to improve over time and possibly eliminate even more drugs. Five days after surgery Bob had a previously scheduled routine appointment with his nephrologist. Standing order for lab work done included CA and PTH. His calcium was done to 9.6 and PTH was 33. His nephrologist was impressed and said he was referring more patients after seeing such improvement in Bob. A week after surgery and Bob is back to all normal activity and feels well. While his chronic kidney disease and heart valve disease will probably not improve after all the years of untreated high calcium, Dr. Norman believes progression of the disease will stop. We cannot thank the doctors and everyone at the parathyroid center enough for the surgery and care Bob received from this team. In addition we want to thank the doctors for taking the time to put all the educational material on their website, parathyroid.com. If they had not done this work, we would never have known about this center and how much they could help us.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2015

I just completed surgery at the Norman Parathyroid Center. It was just as described on their informative website, www.parathyroid.com. The personal attention, clear communications, and caring treatment I received far exceeded my experiences with other doctors. Living in San Diego with its plentiful medical facilities, I never expected I would need to go elsewhere for medical treatment. When my parathyroid disease was diagnosed, I visited one of the city’s top endocrinologists. He referred me to a local surgeon as well as noted (when I asked) that he knew of Dr Norman's Center and spoke highly of it. But he left it to me to choose. I visited the local surgeon and his approach, after some more testing, was as Dr. Norman described might occur: Wait until he could identify which gland was diseased and be prepared for a much more invasive operation. (An 8" incision vs a 1/2 inch incision, a much longer operation vs 20 minutes, and full anethesia vs. twilight with no breathing tube required.) That made little sense to me, based on Dr. Norman's explanation on his website, and just common sense. For the first time, I realized that I needed to take responsibility for my own healthcare decisions and not blindly follow another’s recommendations. I read every detail on the website, and it seemed too good to believe. My first reaction, due to my cautiousness and skepticism (as a degreed engineer and physicist) was to question whether the site was more of an infomercial. But as I dug further it was clear that Dr. Norman was trying to convey as much information as possible in as clear a fashion as possible. He was being passionate about what they do. The surgery was conducted by Dr. Boone, with assistance from Dr. Mitchell and Dr. Lopez. Each stopped by before the surgery to introduce themselves and Dr Boone followed up after the surgery and called in the evening to check on me. Each of the doctor's gave me their cellphone numbers. Every ask your physician for his/her cellphone number? It's now 5 days after the surgery and I'm like new. Just need to take calcium pills while the other dormant glands wake up and take over.

Submitted August 31, 2015

Today is August 7, 2015 and I am 3 days post op. Dr Norman and Dr. Boone did their magic on me in 27 minutes. He called my two adenonas "monsters" because of their size and amount of PTH being produced. In the interest of time and space, let me say that EVERYTHING you have read in these testimonials and on parathyroid.com is the honest-to-goodness truth. My physical condition was deteriorating on a daily basis. My surgery date had to be changed from Nov. 2014 until now because of insurance issues. I have 14 of the symptoms listed on the website, GERD and heart arrythmias, osteoporosis and fatigue being the worst. This disease runs in my family and Dr. Boone told me just before the procedure, that she suspected I had multiple adenonas because of that. She was right. I doubt any other surgeons anywhere else would come to that conclusion. These doctors' knowledge and insight are unparalleled. My mom (size of an egg), brother ( walnut size), his daughter (three surgeries, size of grapes. Her surgeon didn't check all glands), my son ( size unknown, and still has elevated calcium) , now I have had the surgery. I am the only one fortunate enough to have known about Dr. Norman and his team. If you have this disease, or know someone who does, do yourself a favor and don't even consider going anywhere else. For peace of mind and the best outcome, see the doctors with the most experience and highest success rates. I don't need to say who they are. Lynn Leavitt Ontario, Ca

flag | Submitted August 7, 2015

Excellent doctor and experience at Norman Parathyroid Center! I traveled from CA to Tampa for my surgery and would highly recommend to anyone with Parathyroid Disease.

flag | Submitted June 26, 2015

Our 18 year old son went to Dr. Norman because a previous surgeon didn't do the job right the first time. The other surgeon took out half of his thyroid, hoping to fix the problem and it was a 4 hour surgery. Unbelieveable. We wish we had known about Dr. Norman and how specialized this type of surgery really is. So much for trusting local doctors. We traveled to Tampa from middle Tennessee. Dr. Norman and Dr. Boone gave us amazing attention. They did a sestamibi scan and then an ultrasound, just as the general surgeon did 6 months ago. The tumor was obvious in the ultrasound and Dr. Norman showed us in his consultation notes where he thought the tumor was - exactly where the ultrasound showed it. Our son was in the operating room for about 40 minutes. where half that time was spent fixing the scar from the previous surgery. Needless to say we aren't happy with the general surgeon or endocrinologist that sent us to him. After Dr. Norman and Dr. Boone operated our son said he felt improvement in his bones and joints within the first 24 hours. We were eating pizza about 3 hours after the operation. Our son couldn't eat for a day after the previous operation because they intubated him and it made his throat too sore to eat. Again, we wish we knew then what we know now. We have nothing but the highest respect and appreciation for Dr. Norman and his group. The whole experience was just amazing as is the continuing follow up care.

flag | Submitted May 27, 2015

Dr. Norman removed a tumored parathyroid earlier this week and I remain very impressed with his skill, knowledge and care for my medical issue. I am truly grateful to him for taking care of my problem and would strongly recommend him to anyone having a parathyroid issue.

flag | Submitted May 22, 2015

Dr. James G. Norman's Credentials

• Oral Roberts University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1986)

Updates

• A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I never thought that I would select a surgeon via the Internet, but I did and it was the correct decision. Upon being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, I immedi..."

May 9, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Parathyroid issue - do not confuse. book appointment with Norman. I got my parathyroid gland removed by Dr.Politz. I was cured in 20 minutes. I see people comm..."

April 20, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I encourage anyone with high blood calcium to work with the Norman Parathyroid Center. They are top notch. I traveled from MD to FL for treatment, and it is the..."

April 16, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "superb surgeon. world expert on parathyroid surgery. he and his staff devoted to solving patient problems. i am a retired surgeon and i came from California to ..."

February 18, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "My husband Robert Burns, had surgery one week ago today and we are both so grateful to Drs. Norman, Boone and Lopez. For 11.5 years he suffered from chronic ki..."

September 10, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I just completed surgery at the Norman Parathyroid Center. It was just as described on their informative website, www.parathyroid.com. The personal attention,..."

August 31, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "Couple of gripes against him. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on his website regarding the number of operations performed and the average tim..."

August 14, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Today is August 7, 2015 and I am 3 days post op. Dr Norman and Dr. Boone did their magic on me in 27 minutes. He called my two adenonas "monsters" because of ..."

August 7, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Excellent doctor and experience at Norman Parathyroid Center! I traveled from CA to Tampa for my surgery and would highly recommend to anyone with Parathyroid..."

June 26, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Our 18 year old son went to Dr. Norman because a previous surgeon didn't do the job right the first time. The other surgeon took out half of his thyroid, hoping..."

May 27, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Norman removed a tumored parathyroid earlier this week and I remain very impressed with his skill, knowledge and care for my medical issue. I am truly grat..."

May 22, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "After eight years of feeling so tired and ill and being told repeatedly that all of my blood works were normal, I decided to send my results to Dr Norman for h..."

April 27, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Could not have gone any better,everyone were excellent . Thanks for making it a very comfortable experience !"

April 17, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Entire experience was excellent. Staff and doctors were outstanding, courteous, knowledgeable, and professional. Exceeded my expectations. Website was excell..."

April 10, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "When i first heard that i had hyper-parathyroid i was totally lost. I didn't know what it was or what it was doing to me. I am 58 and still learning, Dr Norm..."

April 5, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "WowoloSDZOXfsdizxcgjredsfiuxcghiresdfhcgieshdxgiewnhsidzx"

February 28, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "From the first point of contact with Dr. Norman, Dr. Politz and their staff I just knew I had found the answer to my prayers. Their knowledge, expertise, exper..."

February 7, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Love what this miracle worker did for me. So great full for his love and devotion to cure hyperparathyroidism! I feel so blessed to have Dr. Normal cure me. Wi..."

January 30, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Simply the best. Albert Einstein - physicist, Steve Jobs - inventor, James Norman - parathyroid surgeon. In my opinion, Dr. Norman deserves a Nobel Prize. ..."

January 27, 2015
  • Postal Code has been updated from "33601" to "33544". Suite has been updated from "None" to "null".

December 29, 2014
  • Phone Number has been updated from "None" to "8139720000".

December 29, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I live in Nebraska, couldn't find anyone that knew what I was dealing with at home. Found a couple doctors that were wanting to "wait and see" or do explorator..."

December 15, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I'm only 54 but I showed up at Dr. Norman's door (from a small town in south-central NM) with such severe osteoporosis that I could barely walk. One month late..."

December 9, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Going to the Norman Parathyroid Center was the most incredible experience! I have been dead-tired for the past six years and had known that I had hyperparathyr..."

November 18, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I had my surgery in Oct of 2011. Never imagined the whole process would got as smoothly and stress free as it did. If only other all Doctors offices and clinic..."

November 16, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "For ten years I had a large Parathyroid tumor that was undiagnosed by physicians from the finest medical institutions in Southern California and in recent years..."

November 14, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I took my mother to FL to have Dr. Norman remove her tumor with mini surgery then found myself with the same hyperparathyroidism 7 years later. So, I took myse..."

November 9, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I have had hyperparathyroidism since 2008 and finally had ENOUGH of my Endocrinologist in the Twin Cities area when my last Dexa scan showed much worse bone den..."

November 6, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "My own Dr.'s refused to investigate parathyroidism even though my calcium was consistently high for probably 10 years. When I finally got someone to listen to m..."

November 4, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Norman saved my life. The day of my surgery, he said that parathyroid hormone levels as high as mine are rarely seen because they usually result in a stroke..."

November 3, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Making the decision to have my parathyroidectomy at the Norman Parathryoid Center is the best decision I've ever made. The professionalism, the care, and the l..."

November 3, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Norman and his team are the epitome of passion for what they do! I traveled from the Boston, MA area (noted for it's fine doctors and hospitals) because no ..."

November 3, 2014
  • A new 3.2-star rating has been posted. "ihufdsza]fsijlkosdfgrlk;fgsfgrdfgkvb cvbfgsdifgsdorfigfvlxz;c'lv"

October 15, 2014
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "I am from new York. After seeing 4 surgeons in my area who kept putting me off because my scans were negative, I decided to seek out the Norman Parathyroid cli..."

October 2, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "September 22, 2014 Jim Norman and Deva Boone removed a bad parathyroid gland. My consultation surgeon is Doug Politz. The care exhibited by Jim, Deva, and Doug ..."

September 25, 2014
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "He's a great DR and you should choose him above any other but his staff needs super improvement"

September 21, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "The only Dr that you should consider when having Parathyroid issues. Dont go anywhere else. Great Doctor and staff, The removal of a bad parathyroid went flawle..."

September 17, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I live near two nationally known hospitals that I would have no problem going to if I needed a heart transplant or any other surgery-but when a local endocrinol..."

September 9, 2014
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "My name is miss Jennifer, i love your profile, and there's something important about me i will like to share with you.please send me message directly to my emai..."

September 3, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "When I was diagnosed with elevated calcium in my blood during a routine physical and further tests revealed hyper parathyroidism, I began an internet search. T..."

September 3, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr Norman was recommended to me by a former patient. I traveled to Tampa from south florida in one day and came home the next day a new person Dr Norman fou..."

September 3, 2014
  • 'birds of a feather' rating (based on <a href='/birdsofafeather.jsp?did=25623'>Medicare patients-in-common</a>): 5.0

February 5, 2014