Ratings for Dr. Jason T. Bruse

I do not like leaving a negative review, but I called the Farmington office for an email address for Dr. Bruse, but they didn't have one available. I felt it important to communicate my experience and perhaps others reading will be wiser than I had been. I have seen Dr. Bruse when he was with IHC for a rolled ankle a few years ago. That experience was positive with a positive outcome. However, last year (July 2015), at mile 5 of a half marathon, I started getting ankle pain that never went away. I "rested" it and took it easy for a few weeks, hoping it would heal itself. When it didn't, I decided to go to Dr. Bruse (about Sept. 2015). After examining me, he determined I had sinking arches (something he said is typical in a woman of my age having born several children). He said the long term solution is new orthotics and the short term solution is a steroid shot. This is where the red flag should have been drawn. I told him I have had foot problems for years (raised 1st and 5th metatarsals) and have been wearing orthotics already for 10 years. That didn't seem to alarm him (that his prescription is something I already do). Also, the fact that the pain started all of a sudden (all be it, not excruciating or audible) didn't seem to change his diagnosis of sinking arches. Because I was already packing on some weight because I had been unable to exercise like I used to and was hoping for the quick fix, I didn't listen to the red flags and I got the steroid shot and purchased the new orthotics. Thinking I had done all that I needed to do, I went back to the gym the next day. By the third day/workout, I was in much more pain than originally. (The first day, I figured it was just pain from having the shot.) I was now limping. I had to stop all activity with any impact. It took a couple of weeks to get to where I wasn't hurting so much. I went to an orthopedic doctor who ordered x-rays and an MRI. When he got the MRI back, he said I had to see a specialist because the posterial tibial tendon was torn completely in half and had retracted back into my ankle. This is the tendon that goes across your arch and allows you to raise your foot out of the gait. I learned from the x-ray, I am in a minority group that has a small little bone by/in/through? that tendon, which inherently makes it weaker. Most people who have that extra bone will see issues with it when they are in their late teens, early 20's. So, I went to a foot ortho doc who did a surgery on my foot to replace the tendon (as well as straighten my heal and lengthen my achilles tendon). As soon as I started to tell these doctors/staff my history and that I got a steroid shot, they all were surprised and would not recommend the shot. They informed me (all caps for your benefit here) STEROID SHOTS DECREASE THE STRENGTH OF THE TENDON FROM THE VERY FIRST SHOT. So, it is no wonder I snapped it in half when I went back to my high impact aerobic workouts the next day. The mis-diagnosis didn't help my cause either. I wish he would have listened/questioned more when I said I already wear orthotics. I wish he would have ordered an MRI, seeing I was an active athlete and the pain started during a run. The beginning of Jan 2016 I got my surgery. Because the new tendon had to fuse to the bone and my bones had to fuse as well, I was non-weight baring (read crutches and knee scooter) for almost 2 months, in a boot for another month or so. It took about 3-4 months to get to walking with out assistance of any kind. I have 4 little kids, so not an easy situation to be in, esp. in winter. It has been a struggle with depression as I have gained 50+ pounds since the injury and just last year was running marathons. While I recognize this is largely because of my choices, I do ask myself how the surgery and recovery would have been different had the tendon been repaired instead of needing to be replace. Would have liked to have sent this in an email, but thought you would like to know so as not to dismiss an injury so quickly or without investigation.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2017

Patient for years and 3 surgeries. I loved dr bruse until my last appointment with him when he told me nothing was wrong with my ankle and I knew there was. He spent less than 30 seconds in the room with me and dismissed me.bi got a second opinion and this doctor actually looked at the mri and not just the report like dr bruse did and yes there was something wrong with my ankle.. warning he's got a huge GOD vomplex

flag | Submitted June 5, 2015

Dr. Bruse was accommodating and comforting. I have suffered from multiple fractures in my ankle, and since Dr. Bruse scoped my ankle I've been pain free!! I'm very afraid of needles and I can honestly say that ANY injections I've received from Dr. Bruse were painless and quick. His technique is second to none. I'm grateful I switched doctors and have received such great care!!

flag | Submitted April 4, 2015

I love Dr. Bruse! I am very satisfied with his expertise and manner. His office runs smoothly with minimal wait time. The staff members are courteous and professional.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2015

I do not reccomend this doctor. The staff is very rude and not concerned over severe issues. After multiple surgeries that have now been suggested unnecessary I had to go to a different doctor to remedy the situation Dr Bruse created and did not cure.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2012

Dr. Jason T. Bruse's Credentials

• California College Podiatric Medicine (Grad. 2000)