Ratings for Dr. Stephen Mikulak

My primary care physician recommended replacing my right hip and gave me three names of potential surgeons – all at Hoag Orthopaedic. I interviewed all three plus a fourth who had done work on friends. There is no question in my mind that Dr. Mikulak was the best choice. Two of the other surgeons use the anterior approach. Dr. Mikulak uses a posterior approach, but he has refined his technique over time such that it is minimally invasive, cuts no muscle, and involves very little pain afterward. I have used Tylenol only since the surgery. I asked anyone I could find (patients, therapists, radiologists, other surgeons) about reputations and experience with hip surgeons before choosing Mikulak. Mikulak himself is impressive - calm, focused, expert, patient with questions, etc. – but the team that supports him just reinforces that aura of total professionalism and passion for patient care, from Dr. Mike Walker, who assists in the surgery, to Michelle Davidson, Dr. Mikulak’s assistant, to all of the office staff with whom I came in contact. Hoag Orthopaedic has arthroplasty down to a fine art as well; I can’t imagine that another facility, especially one not as specialized, could provide anywhere near their level of care. Even the food was excellent and customized to my request. On another patient feedback entry I saw a note that mentioned excessive waiting time for Dr. Mikulak. My experience has been the exact opposite. On every visit I have been called in quickly and have been able to approach Drs. Mikulak and Walker in the hallway with additional questions. The part I liked best is that surgery is usually scheduled within two weeks of the consultation, instead of 2-3 months with other surgeons. There may be other choices which rank highly as well, but Dr. Mikulak and his team are in the elite best few.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2017