Dr. Sanford J. Silverman

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Sanford J. Silverman

First of all, a little personal background: I am a 31 year-old professional in the financial industry who was diagnosed with ADD in third grade. I was prescribed various meds throughout my adolescence and they all made me feel like a zombie with no appetite. (The best kind of zombie, I suppose. But I digress.) As an adult, I had resigned myself to a life of scatterbrained-ness and frustrated romantic partners and coworkers as a result of the ADD behaviors. *Enter neurofeedback and Dr. Silverman* According to various studies (actually reading the studies on PubMed and not just the articles about the studies) neurofeedback has the efficacy rate of meds with none of the nasty side-effects and life-long amphetamine dependency (Big Pharma is a sham). I went into treatment knowing that there was a possibility it wouldn’t work for me. To my surprise and delight, it worked wonders. I can think more clearly, organize thoughts and regulate emotions better than I ever have. As for Dr. Silverman himself. He was very flexible with my work schedule, which was amazing. I work 9-6 and we were still able to come up with a schedule that worked for both of us. I appreciated that he cared enough to work with me although I’m sure my schedule was not convenient for him personally. He is friendly, though I wouldn’t expect any fluff from him. He is good at what he does and that’s what is important. He is very direct and while some people may not be used to that approach, I appreciated that he didn’t sugarcoat anything for me. I felt that he was very transparent about the treatment and the cost. My sessions were relatively short. Dr. Silverman would ask how I felt before each session and after to gauge the effects of the treatment. He would hook me up, let the treatment do its work, and then get me on with my day. He would modify the treatment depending on my reaction to the previous one, as sometimes we would try things that would over-stimulate parts of my brain. It’s a science and everyone’s brain is different so I expected there would be some fine-tuning along the way. Anyway, if you made it this far I applaud you. Thank Dr. Silverman for the treatment which helped me focus long enough to sit down and write this all out ;) I believe in neurofeedback and what Dr. Silverman does (and the peer-reviewed studies that show its efficacy). I hope if you’re an adult with ADD or a parent of a kid who does, you do yourself a favor and go see Dr. Silverman. He quite literally changed my life.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2018

I have been living with ADHD for years and grew tired of taking medication. I have tried everything I have read about in books, but wanted more help. Books about ADHD mentioned neurofeed back and I found Dr. Silverman. We found his training to be very helpful. I now take much less medication and can focus much better. I am also doing better at work.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2018

I work a straight 8 hour shift that requires my full attention. Stressful situations arise multiple times through out the day that require me to mentally preform at 100% at a moments notice. During the last two hours of my shift I was having difficulty maintaining focus, and solving problems, and constructing emails. Just after the first two sessions of Neurofeedback with Dr. Silverman I became profoundly calmer and focused. Now that I have completed my training I am able to maintain my focus , think clearly, and work through problematic situations during the last hours of my shift. Additionally, I am able to get a couple hours of quality study time in after work. Dr. Silverman is very personable, honest, and trully cared about my progress during each session. I would definitely recommend Dr. Silverman to anyone looking to improve their quality of life, wether they have a mental diorder or not. I am very satisfied with the outcome of my training and I plan on taking my son in the future. Thank You Dr. Silverman!!!!

flag | Submitted June 15, 2017

First I must say the review below from the person dealing with Workers Comp must be for a different Dr Silverman, as Dr Sanford Silverman is a Psychologist who specializes in Learning Disorders and Neuro Feedback Brain Training in a small private practice in Scottsdale AZ. We found Dr Silverman after several years of struggle with our daughter. She displayed high anxiety, self esteem decline, tantrums, panic& behavior struggles in school, and was getting poor grades, not able to focus on work, displaying physical terror toward math.... and yet tested "gifted" on her Cog AT scores (PV District Schools). Dr Silverman assessed her and conducted a qEEG brain map and diagnosed ADD with possible HD. She has now (at 9) undergone over 35 sessions of Neurofeedback brain training accompanied with IM. Early on results were immediate - but sort lived - she would become immediately organized, calm, empathetic and focused but then drift back over the next few days. Sometimes she would be highly sensitive or emotional for days following a session. Over time, the effects have been lasting, she is still our stubborn, opinionated, active and sometimes compulsive girl, but her ability to function in school, and to use her intellect and artistic ability is shining through! She even started to show the ability to calmly tackle homework and even math?! (this was her main anxiety/tantrum trigger) We have never used drugs for this child's ADHD and some parents may wish to combine, but we are willing to use the coaching tactics shared by Dr Silverman combined with our daughter's "new wiring" to forge ahead. Life is much less stressful and our child is so much happier. It is important to be patient with this therapy and give feedback to Dr Silverman so that he can adapt the session for best results. He can at times present as very busy or even distracted so you need to be forthcoming, engage and be part of the discussion on the treatment to get the best outcomes. He is a very open minded & innovative, committed Dr of Psychology - and it is well worth it.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2017

My son has been taking concerta for his ADHD for years. When he started middle school, his grades slipped, he was completing his work and I became very worried about his future. I found Dr. Sliver man recommended on the CHADD website and am very happy with the results. After three sessions, my son was calmer and was talking to me about his day! I couldn't believe it. I asked once to start his homework or take a break from playing video games, he would get right off without any arguments. He is more helpful, kind and his grades went up. He has come home several times to tell me he aced a test at school. It was worth the time and money to see that smile on his face. Thank you Dr. Silverman and I appreciate your flexibility with scheduling. You always try to fit us in, with weekend and evening appointments.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2017

Having unsuccessfully tried so many therapists, we brought our daughter in for an initial evaluation and neuropsychology treatment for ADHD and addiction...and have been so impressed with positive results that ALL of our family are working with him now. We are getting the help that we need individually, including enhanced focus and peace of mind. I encourage anyone with focus and/or ADHD issues to set up an appointment with him.

flag | Submitted November 25, 2016

It's really interesting being able to visually see exactly what your brainwaves are doing in real time. The first couple of sessions were tough because I wasn't used to being able to control my attention. The instant feedback I got from the various computer programs allowed me to change my behavior in real time. The sessions are continuing to get better as well. I'm able to focus better and can really feel the blood rushing to my head when I'm engaging with the computer programs now. It's a great feeling knowing that I can now train my brain to focus when before it would simply go off on tangents without my control.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2016

At first , I thought dr. Silverman was going to be great and really cared. That all changed once he met with the workers comp people. It was very clear that he cared more about keeping insurance costs down rather that helping me get better. I understand that being a doctor is a business and if he did not keep insurance costs down he wouldn't get referrals. The Hippocrates oath doctors take is to swear to help the ill to the best of their ability, I guess dr. Silvermans was different. To help the insurance company to the best of his ability. His front desk staff, Fran, was the rudest person I have ever met. When I informed the dr that she was nasty and rude he made me feel like I was lying, stating no one ever complained before. Boy, I wish I had reviews prior to going there. It seems so many people feel the same way about her as I do. I was injured at work and can no longer drive, so I transported to and from my appointments by workers comp. I missed an appointment because by driver did not pick me up and the entire office staff, including the doctor were angry with me. I had an appointment at the beginning of this month and called in the morning to assay that I could not come in, that my mom was at the hospital having critical emergency surgery. The office staff was incredible nasty. They told me to come in tomorrow because after that the doctors on vacation. The next day I called again to let them know their were complications and my mom was going back in for another surgery and could die. Again they were nasty and when I spoke directly to dr Silverman he sounded annoyed too. NO EMPATHY AT ALL. I stayed at my moms side for the next 13 days, unfortunately she passed away October 14. I called the doctors office and asked when he would be back, Fran hung up on me. I called back and her response was,"your discharged". Click, she hung up again. I have not received any response from dr. Silverman. I would have been treated better by a worst enemy, during the most devasating time in my life, than by my own doctor who claimed to have really cared. I guess His ego got In the way of his judgement and since I went against his orders to come to his office that day, I was discharged. Thrown away like a piece of garbage. I'm devastated and don't think I'll ever get over this, being kicked to the curb while going through the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life, lose my best friend, my soulmate, my mother.

Submitted October 30, 2016

My son's report card speaks for itself. Before we started treatment with Dr. Silverman my son was failing math and barely passing his other classes. I was frustrated and feeling hopeless from other treatments, and even medication, that didn't work. His ADD had taken over our lives, I was desperate when I was referred to Dr. Silverman. After 14 weeks, the first half with not much result, I finally started seeing the results. His handwriting improved, he started participating in class, he learned to manage his time and to stay on task. But most importantly, his self esteem improved. He finished the school year on the honor roll!!!! Success!!

flag | Submitted June 4, 2015

We were extremely hopeful when we started seeing Dr. Silverman. We didn't want to put our daughter on medication and were looking for a solution, not a bandaid. We signed up for the 20 session package, but after 6 visits we didn't feel we were seeing results and were concerned that we didn't have any guidance in dealing with the ADD issues. I spoke to Dr. Silverman about the problems we were still having and he gave us a system to use with our daughter and said that the issues will improve with continued treatment. He was right. Around her 10th treatment, we really started to notice differences in her behavior and each treatment thereafter, we continued to see small changes that made huge differences in our ability to function as a family day to day. Our daughter is much more focused, flexible and open; she looks at me when she's talking to me and is eager to tell me about her day. After getting to know Dr. Silverman, we have come to appreciate his quirkiness and expertise in the practice of neurofeedback. We are so thankful for finding him. It has changed our daughter's life and our relationship with her has improved immensely.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2015