Ratings for Dr. Paul W. McDonough

Susan F. Midland, TX Dr. McDonough did neck surgery. He was very informative when explaining the procedure. I was having severe pain and could not move my arms. Surgery went great. And continue to have great results.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2017

My initial visiti with this man not a good. I was diagnosed with a herniated disc and had been out of work for 2weeks and was given the option of surgery or injections, so I decided to have a surgeon consultation and get on the waiting list for injections to. Upon his entrance of the room he spoke and introduced himself and I responded with "Hi Dr. McDonough and I glad to finally see" with a smile. He gave me a look of disgustment. He did not let me answer my questions completely without cutting me off. I felt rushed while kept turning his stool towards the door like he was waiting on a bell to ring. He told me that he would go take a look at my MRI. When he left I immediately knew he would not be cutting anything on me so I just waited for his return. While waiting O heard him talking to the patient next door, he seemed much friendlier to her, then I heard him go in another patient room for about 10-15 minutes and he returned to me, and I'm thinking when did he have time to look at my MRI. Once he returned he announced that he was optimistic about surgery for me in which that was good news for me but why was there no explanation of why?! I have decided to go with a second opinion in Fort Worth.

Submitted February 3, 2016

In more than 60 years of living, quite easily the most useless experience with a Dr. Expensive, but came away with nothing. Two visits, an MRI, a CAT scan and absolutely no feedback. Less than 10 minutes total time face to face and would have been less except of a question I asked and he evaded. Just nothing. Presumably he has knowledge, but it wasn't shared.

Submitted August 28, 2011

After months of leg pain and inability to walk much distance I finally decided to have the surgery necessary to fix my back. I chose Dr. McDonough because of his excellent training and experience. He was very easy to talk to and understanding of my hesitation. I have never had any medical problems and he was very patient with me, even though he knew he could fix this. So I had a back fusion of my L5 to S1. He and his staff watched over me, always called me back quickly if I had any questions, and continue to care about my healing. His staff is especially considerate and his office is easy to get in and out of. While I could continue to say great things about Dr. McDonough, the most important thing to me is that He completely fixed my broken back, I have walked miles and hours around the city of New York and never again experienced the leg and lower back pain. So thank you for taking me from resignation to life on drugs to renewal and restoration of an active and drug free life!

flag | Submitted May 18, 2011

From the first moment that I interacted with Dr. McDonough I knew I was in good hands. His knowledge of how to diagnose and treat my back problem left me feeling so comfortable. My surgery was a complete success and I no longer have any pain in my leg. Thank you for such a great outcome!

flag | Submitted March 16, 2011

Rude initial office visit; he kept looking at his watch every 5 seconds. I asked if I was taking up too much of his time; I was told no. He continued to look at his watch. In the consultation, it was out in the open talking about the MRI report for everyone to hear including other patients. My personal information is personal, not for everyone to hear! I asked a question regarding a vertebrate. I was told I had scoliosis. Scoliosis is a curvature. Do not give a stupid answer to my question to blow me off. I do not have scoliosis! I was called at a later date to find out if I had made a decision regarding when I would want to have the surgery. I told him I was going with a different doctor. McDonough asked why? I told him I was not feeling well, had taken some medication and would have to speak to him later. He slammed the phone down. That reassured my decision; I made the correct choice by using a different doctor. I do not care if you where first in your class. You showed me how immature and un-professional you really are!!

Submitted February 9, 2011

Brilliant guy and a conscientious doctor. Perhaps the most knowledgeable doctor I have spoken to. Very able to explain what I needed and why and broke down the medical jargon without effort. Highly recommended.

flag | Submitted September 22, 2009

Dr. McDonough is by far and away the best spine surgeon I have ever been to, (and I have been to quite a few). I had a very complicated revision lumbar surgery and he was very proficient in the surgery. I always appreciated the time he took to explain things to me, and the way he did it so I could understand. He followed up with me and really cared about my recovery. I am so glad I finally found the right surgeon. His Physician Assistant was very kind and personable also. All in all I am happy that I had the surgery and I have had a wonderful recovery.

flag | Submitted June 28, 2007

He was very prompt. I will give him that. However he never once did a physcial exam in the two times I saw him. He never layed a hand on me. Only say across the room. He did tell me if I wanted him to operate on me I needed to take out an additonal policy because he was expensive. I thought this was cold and un caring to say the least. I have had cancer for along time and have had to see many doctors and never felt compelled to say anything negative. If its bed side manner you want McDonough is not your man KEEP LOOKING

Submitted May 15, 2007

Very knowledgeable and very kind. He is the top of his field. I had surgery by Dr. McDonough and I have had amazing results!

flag | Submitted December 6, 2006

Dr. Paul W. McDonough's Credentials

• University Of California, Ucla School Of Medicine (Grad. 1995)

Top Urgent Care Centers in Abilene, TX