Ratings for Dr. Kornelis Poelstra

Words can not express my gratitude for Dr. Poelstra and his staff. Prior to my back surgery, I was in an extreme amount of pain for several months, to the point of barely being able to dress myself or drive. After surgery I could tell immediate, drastic improvements. Since the surgery site has healed, which only took a short time, I have been essentially pain free. I no longer need any pain medication and hiked over five miles today. I can not imagine having to face the pain I was in before and will be eternally grateful for this wonderful gift of having quality of life once again. Dr. Poelstra, Jon, and the entire staff, I will be forever thankful for you and the great work you do!!! Shannon E.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2015

Dr. Poelstra has got to be one of the best in his field, bar none. I recommend him to anyone with a spine problem. He is kind and understanding not to mention a very gifted surgeon. I have had two previous spinal surgeries, unfortunately after my second surgery I was in no better shape than before the surgery. I lived in extreme pain for over a decade before our paths crossed and boy am I glad they did. After several tests and procedures he determined that I was in need of a multi level fusion from L3-L4-L5-S1. He and his highly competent staff did for me what I think few are capable of and I have nothing but praise for them. My surgery was less than two months ago and I am in less pain now than I have been in over 12 years. On a scale of 1-10, he rates a 20. I can not begin to give he and his staff enough thanks for the quality of life they have given me. Believe me when I say "If you have a spinal problem, he is the man to see. "

flag | Submitted January 15, 2015

Dr. Poelstra is absolutely the best orthopedic surgeon! I have spent the last 5 years dealing with an L4-L5 problem. I first went to another orthopedist who performed first a laminectomy and then 4 years later a fusion. The fusion left me in just as much pain as before the surgery, but my doctor said that I wouldn't take the pain to my grave. So I found a neurosurgeon. Everyone says don't use an ortho guy, use a neuro guy. I gave him 2 chances to "fix" me. Then I found Dr. Poelstra - what a godsend! He is amazing! He actually listens and takes even the tiniest bit of info that you can give to determine how to make you well. After a total revision, I am painfree! He can change your world!!!

flag | Submitted December 18, 2014

I have lived with severe back pain for ten years. No pain or nerve medication could relieve that pain. I was then referred to the Spine Institute on the Emerald Coast. After meeting with the PA-C, Jonathan Needler, and Dr. Kornelis Poelstra; they told me that they could fix my back. The operation was a success and I am now a new man. In my opinion, Dr. Poelstra can perform miracles. I had no quality in life before. Thanks to Dr. Poelstra, the Spine Institute, and all of the wonderful staff, I now live without pain.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2014

I am 55 year old male. I herniated the L5-S1 disc. Went to the chiropractor, family dr., pain management and nothing helped. I was not able to walk over 100' the pain was so bad. Made an apt. with Dr. Poelstra, it took a couple of weeks to get in. He informed me of the problem and that there were two disc that were herniated, but the one would not get better without surgery. Surgery was scheduled within a week. I walked out of the hospital, pain free. The surgery has now been about four weeks ago and I am getting stronger. Will see the DR. in three more weeks and hopefully be back to doing all the things I enjoy. Not only is the doctor courteous, but all the staff is as well. The PA was very helpful in explaining things and giving information.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2014

I am sure that I would be giving Dr. Poelstra a very positive rating if my mother had not run into complications after her back surgery but unfortunately she did. The follow up care that she received at that point did not come anywhere near what a professional and caring surgeon should have applied to a patient. I will not say not to use this doctor but I would ask him how he would handle things in the case when complications occur and get very specific on how often and to whom you would hearing from in this situation. I realize that the medical business is complicated with Medicare and monetary perimeters but I hope that all caretakers consider their patients' care to be their priority.

Submitted November 17, 2013

My 17 yr old son had two ruptured disc in lower back with nerve compression.My son had been experiencing severe pain down rt leg for months and was beginning to lose strength and feeling in same leg. We had tried all manner of conservative treatment without any success and was then referred to Dr.Poelstra. What a Godsend he was for us all. He had an exceptional bedside manner , a genuine concern for our son ,beyond exceptional skills as a surgeon,and ability to relieve us of all our fears that we so obviously were facing. My son is now 2 weeks post op lumbar decompression and is pain free without having to take any medications and has regained all stength to legs and is back at school. Phenomenal Surgeon!!! Highest recommendations from this happy mother!!!!

flag | Submitted May 14, 2013

My surgery was April 27, 2011 on L4-L5 and L5-S1. Both Dr Kornelius Poelstra and his wife Dr. Lori Kellogg-Poelstra performed the surgery which shortened not only the anesthesia and surgical time making recovery easier for me. They both are highly skilled surgeons with compassion and attentiveness. I will continue to recommend family and friends to their service. Mrs Patricia Moye

flag | Submitted March 14, 2013

Do not use this surgeon, patient beware, you have been warned. He is your best friend when treating you before surgery, but after he has collected tens of thousands of dollars and your surgery failed, he will do anything to get rid of you. He lies on his reports, claims you are doing great and recovering wonderfully, even when you claim you arent. He then uses the unethical addiction card, claiming he feels you are falling into an addiction and then will discharge you. Its the never ending scam surgeons around the country use to protect themselves when they fail and screw up your back and your life. His hardware failed and i had to have a fusion reversal with a multi level to repair his mistakes. He refuses to accept fault and instead will lie on reports you need to file your disability claim. There is so much more i can report, but the more i sit here and type, the angrier i get. All i can tell you again, is please, please stay away from his practise, he will destroy your life and wont think twice about it.

Submitted March 10, 2013

After suffering from debilitating lower back pain for 8 years and having tried physical therapy, injections, and acupuncture with poor results, I became aware of Dr. Poelstra through numerous friends & associates. His reputation for consistently outstanding surgical results and for his caring and compassionate approach toward all of his patients persuaded me to set up an appointment. I was particularly impressed with his willingness to devote so much time explaining the nature of my problem and the surgical solution he proposed. I underwent extensive lumbar surgery 5 weeks ago and am well on my way to complete recovery. Just as Dr. Poelstra predicted, I was up walking one day after surgery! On all subsequent appointments, I have found Dr Poelstra's entire staff to be caring, competent, and patient-focused. Of particular note are Dr Lori Kellogg Poelstra, who is also an accomplished spine surgeon and pain management specialist, and John Needler, his PA for 5+ years. Outstanding team!!

flag | Submitted March 9, 2013