Ratings for Dr. Kornelis Poelstra

Dr. Poelstra, performed decompression surgery on me and relieved the pain I have had for 13 years! He and his entire team are very competent and professional in all aspects of my care. After my initial visit with his PA Anna, I knew I had found the people who could help me. The office staff at Fort Walton beach and in Destin are always so helpful and nice. The Staff at Sacred Heart Hospital in Destin was truly amazing in taking excellent care of me. I highly recommend Dr. Poelstra.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2018

Dr. Poelstra recently (2/7/2018) performed surgery on my neck, Spinal Cord Compression and Pinched Nerve both in one session. He was very thorough in explaining the entire procedure before and after the surgery. You can talk to him as if he is part of your family which gives us so much comfort. My wife and I could not have been more pleased with Dr. Poelstra’s skill and knowledge…simply the BEST. His entire staff was very professional and caring. Everyone in Sacred Heart Hospital was also very professional and helpful. We feel very fortunate to have Dr. Poelstra as part of our medical community and highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2018

I am a 43 yr old male, active duty military (USN), active life (mostly), that was diagnosed with 4 levels of disc degenerative disease in the lumbar spine back in 2003. I've had multiple pain management treatments over the years; most recently steroid injections that untouched the pain and symptoms radiating to both heals/feet. The only surgery prior was a microdiscectomy on L5-S1 and L4-L5 that did not produce any relief, only more instability. I was referred to Dr. Poelstra back in Sept '17 and yes it took awhile to get in to see him but it was worth the wait. I had an Posterior lumbar inter-body fusion with anterior lumbar interbody fusion on Mar 2nd. I am now in the first week and a half in recovery and I couldn't be more pleased. I can walk for over a mile, I haven't needed to take percocet at all today and my post-op is showing I am right on schedule for a great recovery. Throughout the process the staff and Dr. Poelstra have been absolutely phenomenal!! Especially Dr. Poelstra! His confidence, humility and positive attitude gave me and my wife the greatest relief to know we were in the best hands and a fix was on it's way. Destin Sacred Heart support staff was amazing as well! Julie and Byron my RN's were so caring and on top of all my needs. As soon as I awoke from surgery I knew that I was better. I still had some residual numbness in my left foot but the strength in both legs has returned and I can now control muscles in my calves again. I was walking around the hospital without a walker the following morning and was released to go home a few hours later. Both times I have meet with Dr. Poelstra for pre & post-op I have left his office in tears knowing that my life is going to improve and I again will return to my regular active life. God bless this Doctor to continue to change more lives and be a leader in this industry!! I salute you!

flag | Submitted March 13, 2018

I visited the Emerald Coast Spine Institute on September 7 for an office visit. I saw a PA and was charged $165. I thought my cost to see a specialist was $60, so I'm unsure why I had to pay $165. I was very unhappy with the service I received and am disputing the charges with my credit card company. The PA I saw could not open the MRI results I brought with me, so I had to open them for her. And then she didn't show where my herniated disk was or provide any information regarding my condition. I was with the PA for 4-5 minutes (at the most). And a couple of those minutes was me opening the MRI results. She told me someone would get up with me in a "day or two" to schedule an injection, after they contacted my insurance company to make sure it would be covered. I was very dissatisfied by the initial visit and lack of service I received, but I continued with the process hoping to get relief for my back issues. A week went by and I did not hear from anyone. I called and was told BCBS had not approved it. BCBS sent a request for more information, which I completed and returned. I was contacted by Emerald Coast Spine Institute on October 2 and was told the procedure was approved by BCBS, and they scheduled the injection for October 10. They asked for my credit card info and said I had met my deductible and owed $34.40. I paid this charge and thought everything was good to go for the procedure next week. I was contacted on October 6 by Destin Surgery Center and was told I owed $900+ to them and that I had NOT met my deductible. I'm not sure what's going on and whether or not I have or have not met my deductible. I feel like I was overcharged by Emerald Coast Spine Institute and did not receive the service I should have received. I have cancelled next week's procedure and have asked BCBS to NOT pay Emerald Coast Spine Institute or Destin Surgery Center anything on my behalf. I have also contacted my credit card company to dispute the two charges from ECSI. I am out $200 and have not received medical services for my condition. I will be looking for another provider for treatment. Thank you.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2017

If you are looking to entrust your spine to a surgeon then look no further than Dr. Poelstra. I was terrified of having cervical fusion. I now wish I would have had the surgery done a year earlier. He has is so very kind and is extremely skilled. I had no dysphasia, felt amazing after surgery and my scar looks like it was done by a plastic surgeon! Thank you Dr. Poelstra for giving me quality of life back! I am looking forward to playing with my kids, being able to work out and being pain free!

flag | Submitted October 31, 2017

His staff worked very well with our needs and his case worker sue done a excellent job of getting all the required document together prior to surgry

flag | Submitted October 24, 2017

Looked for several months for a good spine surgeon and after seeing various doctors who said they couldn’t help me Dr Poelstra took my case without a problem . His PA reviewed my MRI explained the entire procedure and what to expect before and after surgery. Everyone in the office was very professional. Dr Poelstra is very professional and knowledgeable. He is very personable and takes time to the patient. In fact, my surgery was so successful that I was able to walk out of the hospital a few hours after surgery. Everyone in Sacred Heart Hospital was also very professional and helpful. I highly recommend Dr. Poelstra for spine surgery.

flag | Submitted October 10, 2017

Dr. Poelstra, John and staff have been treating me for a C3, C4 herniation since May 2016. The entire staff are nothing short of amazing. I will be having an ACDF surgery in November 2017 and fully trust in Dr. Poelstra's capabilities and would want no one else performing the surgery.

flag | Submitted October 10, 2017

Cannot fault Dr. Poestra in surgery and he is incredibly nice. Surgery did not do as hoped and more pain now than prior surgery. I also have problem with doctor chosen to open and close in surgery. Major ab bulge, (muscles not put back in place, hernia?) I do not know. Office won't answer my e-mails leaving me to think they do not care after receiving my money for services done.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2017

I definitely but I have no other doctor do any surgery on my neck or spine he is absolutely awesome

flag | Submitted April 15, 2017