Ratings for Dr. Kornelis Poelstra

I visited the Emerald Coast Spine Institute on September 7 for an office visit. I saw a PA and was charged $165. I thought my cost to see a specialist was $60, so I'm unsure why I had to pay $165. I was very unhappy with the service I received and am disputing the charges with my credit card company. The PA I saw could not open the MRI results I brought with me, so I had to open them for her. And then she didn't show where my herniated disk was or provide any information regarding my condition. I was with the PA for 4-5 minutes (at the most). And a couple of those minutes was me opening the MRI results. She told me someone would get up with me in a "day or two" to schedule an injection, after they contacted my insurance company to make sure it would be covered. I was very dissatisfied by the initial visit and lack of service I received, but I continued with the process hoping to get relief for my back issues. A week went by and I did not hear from anyone. I called and was told BCBS had not approved it. BCBS sent a request for more information, which I completed and returned. I was contacted by Emerald Coast Spine Institute on October 2 and was told the procedure was approved by BCBS, and they scheduled the injection for October 10. They asked for my credit card info and said I had met my deductible and owed $34.40. I paid this charge and thought everything was good to go for the procedure next week. I was contacted on October 6 by Destin Surgery Center and was told I owed $900+ to them and that I had NOT met my deductible. I'm not sure what's going on and whether or not I have or have not met my deductible. I feel like I was overcharged by Emerald Coast Spine Institute and did not receive the service I should have received. I have cancelled next week's procedure and have asked BCBS to NOT pay Emerald Coast Spine Institute or Destin Surgery Center anything on my behalf. I have also contacted my credit card company to dispute the two charges from ECSI. I am out $200 and have not received medical services for my condition. I will be looking for another provider for treatment. Thank you.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2017

If you are looking to entrust your spine to a surgeon then look no further than Dr. Poelstra. I was terrified of having cervical fusion. I now wish I would have had the surgery done a year earlier. He has is so very kind and is extremely skilled. I had no dysphasia, felt amazing after surgery and my scar looks like it was done by a plastic surgeon! Thank you Dr. Poelstra for giving me quality of life back! I am looking forward to playing with my kids, being able to work out and being pain free!

flag | Submitted October 31, 2017

His staff worked very well with our needs and his case worker sue done a excellent job of getting all the required document together prior to surgry

flag | Submitted October 24, 2017

Looked for several months for a good spine surgeon and after seeing various doctors who said they couldn’t help me Dr Poelstra took my case without a problem . His PA reviewed my MRI explained the entire procedure and what to expect before and after surgery. Everyone in the office was very professional. Dr Poelstra is very professional and knowledgeable. He is very personable and takes time to the patient. In fact, my surgery was so successful that I was able to walk out of the hospital a few hours after surgery. Everyone in Sacred Heart Hospital was also very professional and helpful. I highly recommend Dr. Poelstra for spine surgery.

flag | Submitted October 10, 2017

Dr. Poelstra, John and staff have been treating me for a C3, C4 herniation since May 2016. The entire staff are nothing short of amazing. I will be having an ACDF surgery in November 2017 and fully trust in Dr. Poelstra's capabilities and would want no one else performing the surgery.

flag | Submitted October 10, 2017

Cannot fault Dr. Poestra in surgery and he is incredibly nice. Surgery did not do as hoped and more pain now than prior surgery. I also have problem with doctor chosen to open and close in surgery. Major ab bulge, (muscles not put back in place, hernia?) I do not know. Office won't answer my e-mails leaving me to think they do not care after receiving my money for services done.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2017

I definitely but I have no other doctor do any surgery on my neck or spine he is absolutely awesome

flag | Submitted April 15, 2017

He was beyond wonderful! I was only 30 when I learned that I needed a spinal fusion, and working in the healthcare field I knew I needed to find someone who truly knew what they were doing and Dr. Poelstra was the obvious choice. He was warm and caring the first time I met him and he had a great bedside personality, but more importantly, he knew what he was doing and has a good success rate for the surgery I needed. His staff was wonderful and accommodating! Can't recommend him enough!

flag | Submitted March 29, 2017

I suffered a combat injury about 2 1/2 years ago and as a result I have had a herniated disc in my lower back since then. The pain had gotten so bad that I couldn't sleep, it was effecting my work and I couldn't play with my kids. I was referred to Dr. Poelstra with it already set in my mind that I wanted surgery. Dr. Poelstra explained to me in detail what the surgery would entail and what to expect from the recovery. A few weeks later I went in for the surgery and when I woke up about 45 minutes later the pain was completely gone and strength had returned to my leg. After about a week the pain from the surgery was almost gone. I couldn't be happier with Dr. Poelstra and his recommendation and my decision to have surgery. I can't thank him and his team enough.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2017

Dr. Poelstra and his wonderful, caring staff were first class from start to finish. I am know 4 months out from an anterior & posterior lumbar fusion revision surgery and could not be more pleased. Thank You Dr. Poelstra for giving me quality of life back.

flag | Submitted January 2, 2017