Ratings for Dr. Steven G. Nelson

I was dissapointed with Dr. Nelson. I was reccomended to him by a friend, so that's why I chose him. I was originally told that he was very supportive of doing birth "your way" (it even states this on his profile), but I learned that this is not true. He was very unsupportive of my choice of natural childbirth and laughed anytime I expressed any concerns (I only had one or two, I wasn't crazy). He also made me feel like I was sick instead of pregnant. He blamed me for being so big while pregnant (I was all belly), yet I exercised everyday and ate healthy my entire pregnancy and didn't gain any excess weight, than that which was necessary. We later found out that I had a lot of fluid and the placenta was very large, as well as my baby being almost 10lbs when born. That's why I was so large in the belly! Yet, I was made to feel like I was unhealthy and fat the entire time I was pregnant. I felt very insecure when I had to visit him because I knew he wouldn't listen to anything I had to say anyways. I had to figure out any of my questions from google because I had become afraid to ask him any questions. The birth experience went fine (because I did it his way) and I am grateful for that. But I do not appreciate the way I was made to feel and my overall experience. I would reccomend him to anyone who is VERY high risk or wanting a medicated birth because as long as you are doing it his way and don't ask questions, then you will have a good experience. Also, the waiting time is ridiculous! I had to wait almost 2 hours everytime I went in and I was always early to my appointments. They never apologized for being so backed up, they just expected you to wait. I didn't feel very respected. Especially when I was running behind one day and said I would be there in 10 minutes, they said that they couldn't wait and would reschedule my apointment....even though I would've had to wait 2 hours when I got there anyways.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2015

Dr. Nelson is awesome as a Gyn (I have never used as OB). He is caring and spends time speaking with you and discussing any problems and coming up with solutions. The practice has a patient portal where patients can communicate with their doctors and he (or his assistant) respond to emails. He is very knowledgeable and up on current research and I trust his judgment. It will be a sad day when he decides to retire!

flag | Submitted October 13, 2011

I have to disagree a little with the other comments. Yes, he is soft spoken & explains things to you but if you question things that you are knowledgable about or question if certain tests might be beneficial, he gives a cocky laugh like you're dumb & seemed offended. Explaining why not would have been nicer. His nurse was very unhelpful & even asked why I was even there to see Dr. Nelson on a return visit when I was told to come back to discuss some scary biopsy results. Also when I asked to have my biopsy slides sent for a 2nd opinion, his nurse told me they would not do that because they all READY have the written report (done by an off-site lab & they don't even know the name of the pathologist who read it). The point of a 2nd opinion is to have the eyes of another pathologist confirm a diagnosis. To deny me of that was hideous! It took me a week to get that done on my own. She told me no one has ever asked to get a 2nd opinion on a biopsy. Really? yea right.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2010

I started seeing Dr. Nelson when he was right out of med school in the late 80's and followed him around when he was with Dr. Hull. I am still with him; he has delivered both my boys - ages 10 and 5. Can't ask for a better OB!!!

flag | Submitted July 15, 2009

Dr. Nelson is fabulous. He takes his time, listens to you, and has a good sense of humor too. I have been his patient for 16 years. He delivered all three of my kids. When he is called out for a delivery (that's the nature of the job!), his staff lets you know about the delay and offers options. I have never had a bad experience with him, his staff, or his associates.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2009

Dr. Nelson is a wonderfrul doctor and his staff is wonderful as well. You may have to wait some time to get in depedning on the day. But a Doctor as good as him is worth the wait. He has delivered both my children and both experiences have been more than i could ask for.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2009

Dr. Nelson is an excellent OB/GYN that takes the time to get to know you as a person as well as a patient. He made the birth delivery process very calm and soothing, even though he had several deliveries in one night! I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2008

I've been going to Dr. Nelson for 15 years and he never makes you feel rushed. He always sits down with you and answers any questions you have. I highly recommend him!

flag | Submitted April 4, 2007

I've been going to Dr. Nelson for around 10 years and I highly recommend him. Dr. Nelson IS the best!

flag | Submitted July 31, 2006

Dr. Steven G. Nelson's Credentials

• Univ Of Ut Sch Of Med, Salt Lake Cty Ut 84132 (Grad. 1981)

Ameritas