Ratings for Dr. John K. Burkus

Very impressed with Dr. Burkus's compassion and willingness to help resolve my neck pain.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2019

Remembering our sweet daughter Carrie Elizabeth Evans Ruiz this morning. It was 8 years ago today that her precious heart stopped beating and she received her heavenly reward. No longer is her body in pain and suffering but because she had given her life to Christ, He has given her a home in heaven! I would like to also in her memory make known her real cause of death. Carrie had a bad disc in her upper spine and sought relief from the pain. She visited a surgeon in Columbus clinic and was encouraged to become part of a trial study that used medtronic infuse graft with an aftificial protein that would draw her own bone cells from her blood and grow back her own bone instead of using a graft from her own bone which was traditional. She was given an option and told that she could except the very last slot in this study but she would have to decide immediately because they only had one slot left. Had my daughter known that this device had already been part of an FDA study and was deemed to dangerous for the upper spine she no doubt would have declined ! This device grew back her bone rapidly and her body became on fire with pain within 6 months that was unbearable. Her liver, her spleen, and all her lymph nodes were enlarged and she was misdiagnosed with an autoimmune disease (sarcoidosis) and treated with high levels of prednisone. Her body, ravaged with pain and abnormally high fevers (106.3) that could not be controlled became a mystery to several doctors! Their conclusion was the artificial infuse graft had become the cause but with no proof and a 24 month agreed contract there was little too be done. This device since has been proved to cause overgrowth of bone causing the nerves coming out of the spine to become so pinched and one surgeon in a lawsuit testified that at least 5 patients had sought him out for help and he had spent hours trying to chisel out excess bone that was like concrete wrapped around their nerves . It is no wonder that our daughter spent the last several months of her life in uncontrollable pain even with morphine and dilaudid delivered regularly. She finally ran a fever of 107.9 which led to her heart failure and kidney failure that claimed her life! I know my daughter and I know she treasured her children more than life itself and she would never have subjected them to losing their loving mother! Her autopsy showed she had diseminated histoplasmosis which is a fungal disorder that comes from birds and bats, it also is carried by cows but it doesn't kill them. The collagen sponge used to hold the artificial protein in the device came from a cow. Far fetched you think? Research the law suit that was settled last year, one of the accusations against medtronic and this device was overgrowth of bone and fungal disorders. One of Carrie,s last conversations with me before she was put on a ventilator was " What would I do if it is this thing in my neck" ? well she did not live long enough to battle this problem. She never came off the ventilator and our grief is only managed by the grace of God! I said all this because it was on my mind heavily and I want to get the message out to others to beware of any studies that are not proven. Money-hungry doctors will not be honest with you and you can't trust his position to keep him honest. Please research Medtronic Infuse Graft with artificial Protein law suit and get the scoop on how this was used black marketed off label for these procedures and caused death, fungal infections, overgrowth of bone in the cervical neck and many other disorders. Our daughter didn't have to give her life up to get out of pain but a professional in whom she had confidence persuaded her to try something to pad his pocketbook and the rest is just an awful story. Would he have used this on one of his children, I think not! This is our story and I will continue to expose the Columbus Clinic and their Dr. Burkus ! We had some wonderful physicians that cared for our daughter and tried to save her life but she was fighting something that couldn't be reversed. Maybe our story will help someone out there and they will research before they have any experimental procedures. Is it really worth the sacrifice of your life and well being to sponsor something that may not be nor do what they say it will. Medtronic is a multi-million dollar enterprise and this law suit was barely a slap on the wrist for them. Most of the awarded money in the settlement went to stock holders because they weren't aware that the product was being used off label . Carrie's children received nothing because her husband chose not to pursue a law suit and just wanted to move on. I am not bitter nor do I seek anyone's harm but God's laws holds people accountable for their actions!

flag | Submitted September 12, 2018

I have been in pain with a pinched nerve for years. After spending thousands on pain management with literally no change or not even one nerve test..he dismissed me altogether. The wait time is absolutely uncalled for!! You wait hour(s)!! for him to spend maybe 3 mins with you! Money and time wasted and still in pain. I’m young and i believe he only wants to deal with people who have Medicare and so forth. That’s where he makes his money. Several people who’ve had surgery by him have had to have correction surgery-some more than one due to negligence on his part. And any that had problems after surgery had to get pure nasty to even get a nurse call back!! Unbelievable

flag | Submitted July 5, 2018

Horrible doctor. would not recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted March 25, 2018

Dr Burkus, in my opinion is a wonderful surgeon. I had surgery 2 1/2 years ago and I am doing great. I had a herniated disk on both sides of L5 along with arthritis pressing on my spinal column at L4 and L3. Before the surgery the pain going down both my legs was disabling. Now I am very active again. The only thing negative is that you usually have to wait a while to see him. I would recommend him to anyone with back pain. If you are just looking for a Doctor to give you pills he is not your Doctor but if you want a skilled surgeon who will operate and fix the actual problem than he is your doctor.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2016

Lower back pain. Gave me choices to choose from for recovery. Showed me the MRI and exactly where the pain was coming from. His nurse was very sweet and caring. Both were very professional. Thanks!

flag | Submitted March 18, 2016

This man was horrible to me. He treated me like I was not worth his time. I told him I was in pain and he dismissed me and said it is simply arthritis. I did not have this pain before my fall. He did not care. He had me wait for over 2 hours and then spent all of 1 minute 47 seconds with me. I have never been treated this way by a doctor. His lack of compassion was astounding. I left in tears and still in pain with no hope for help.

flag | Submitted January 27, 2015

I wouldn't recommend this Dr.to ANYONE..,,He is not what he apoears to be...He is the Devil in disquise.., He is very nice and charmimg at firsr but once you have your surgery and your follow uo visit..You better hope you dont have any problems ..yes he'll order a test to see whst or if something is wrong and once he reads the reoort he's done.,, he could care less if your in pain...He just orders and reads the reoort to make sure his butt is covered..,, and if you can get in with him after talking to the rude and smarttalking secretary and who everelse answers the phohe..theyre just hired help..they could care less..expect him to be very rude..very smarttalking and very very arrogant....I'm sorry for whoever walks in that office,, you better roll your pantlegs up and run..,,

flag | Submitted November 23, 2014

How could he be so cruel as to operate on someone and leave them in such pain turning his back on you????????

flag | Submitted October 8, 2014

I had back surgery two weeks ago to the day and have not had any contact with Burkus at all. Not a follow-up call or visit. Very disappointed and still in tremendous pain. This is my second time around with him and certainly my last.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2013

Dr. John K. Burkus's Credentials

• Yale University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1979)

Bakery & Confectionary Union Plan