Ratings for Dr. Richard K. Ryu

People don't understand that Rick Ryu is not arrogant, in fact he is very fearful and suffers with a form of mental illness which, unfortunately, comes out in strange behavior that patients misinterpret. It appears to be getting worse as he gets older. That's why I can no longer recommend him. It is a shame because he had a bright future but patients are starting to see he has a personality disorder and they now become fearful when he has one of his episodes. Hopefully, he will get help for his condition but that requires insight and that is a big hurdle. Yes, even doctors suffer from mental illness. I fee sorry for the patients who aren't aware he is ill and thing he is rude and offensive. It is all part of the disease. Fortunately his staff has continued to support him and hopefully he will start on a medication and therapy program so that he can regain some of his past popularity. Very sad.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2016

Dr. Ryu is a narcissistic a-hole. If you have major trauma or something that needs obvious surgery he is probably great, but if you have anything more complicated, he is not friendly at all. He basically operates like a surgical factory - get em in - churn em out. He won't spend hardly any time with you explaining things, and he treats you like an idiot. I was out of work for 3 months due to knee troubles, (had a mri that showed a cyst in my knee and oped to not remove it) went back to work for over a year, and was continuing to have trouble so I scheduled an appointment with him just to talk about things. He basically accused me of attempting to scam disability and that "he pays in to the system also" when I wasn't even asking for time off work. He then told me he never wanted to see me in his office again for any reason. I was completely caught off guard by his behavior when all I wanted was an honest consultation. Steer clear of this narcissistic, empty, unempathetic, amoral slime bag. He should have gone into auto repair if he doesn't want to deal in human compassion.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2016

A trusted orthopedic surgeon in Santa Barbara! Dr. Ryu has successfully performed surgeries to mend my knee and my shoulder. During initial consultations, Dr. Ryu was very thorough with his explanations and what to expect during surgery. Each surgery went as planned and recovery was complete without complications. My experience with his services have been nothing but positive. I would highly recommend his professional services to those who are needing orthopedic surgery.

flag | Submitted January 2, 2016

Amazing doctor! He took me in and reconstructed my ACL. I was fully cleared within 8 months. Do not be late, arrive early at least 10 minutes early to his appointments. He is an intelligent man and will tell you how it is, so trust and understand his opinions

flag | Submitted November 9, 2015

If you want a friend get a puppy. If you want the pain to go away and have your shoulder feel like new again go to Dr. Ryu. I too had a hard time at first with him until I realized he was just a perfectionist that takes his job and his practice seriously. If you want perfection seek a perfectionist if you want your hand held see a Therapist. Dealing with Ryu is simple. 1. Don't be late. Ever. Show up a little before your appt and you will glide through. Show up late , pack a lunch its going to be a while. 2. Don't ask stupid questions. It may be new to you but imagine answering the same ignorant questions about the same joint every 30 minutes all day every day. If your shoulder hurts look up how the shoulder works on WebMD before your appt. If you have good questions he will answer politely and professionally. 3. Take him, his staff, yourself and your recovery seriously. A great chef does not want to see you put ketchup all over their cuisine. Do these things and you will find a warm kind healer with an amazing talent to bring you back to 100%. I know because I am living proof after my over 1cm rotator cuff tear. I cannot see the incisions and my right arm is better than my uninjured left. Thanks Dr. Ryu you are the best.

flag | Submitted March 26, 2015

had 2 ACL surgery on both knees I am so thankful to Ryu.you wanna get better so just be quite and let him do the work.Trust him follow his clear instructions.4 months after surgery I was able to play soccer.Thanks again doctor Ryu

flag | Submitted February 10, 2015

Dr ryu is a short tempered person and rude. He is the type of person he is right and you are wrong in anything. If you do miss cancel your appointment the day of because you got sick or emergency he does penalize you and they lie to you that he is busy and puts you out for waisting his time!

flag | Submitted February 4, 2015

Dr. Ryu spent about two minutes examining me for my shoulder pain and then rushed me out of his office. He seemed to have much more important things to do. His demeanor was apathetic at best. I agree with many of the reviewers here. He likes to make his patients feel stupid. Avoid.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2015

I would recommend Dr. Ryu for the fact that he is very knowledgable on shoulder surgery. He explained everything before hand very well, answered my questions and respected me for my time. In other words there was no long waiting time in the waiting room. Also on surgery day, everything went way smoother than I thought. Follow up directions were excellent and although I didn't expect to have after surgery physical therapy, I see in hindsight how helpful it was to recover quicker. A big thank you to Dr. Ryu, all his staff and the Summit Surgery Center!

flag | Submitted October 21, 2014

I had knee surgery to replace an ACL. Dr. Ryu apparently damaged the Sciatic nerve or did something that caused damage to the nerve. Almost two years later I still have severe, frequent shooting pains that travel up and down my leg, just above my ankle to the vicinity of my butt. Dr. Ryu disavowed all responsibility. I never had Sciatica or any similar condition before my accident; never experience this kind of pain during the nearly three months following my accident and leading up to the surgery, but soon after the surgery I started having these pains in my leg. In addition, the area to the right of my knee is completely numb. Both of these conditions are the result of the surgery performed by Dr. Ryu. Because of him, I have what now appears to be a permanent disability. Dr. Ryu has a very poor bedside manner. He treats his patients as if they are morons and he is some kind of genius. Please take my advice and find another doctor.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2014

Dr. Richard K. Ryu's Credentials

• University Of California, San Francisco School Of Medicine (Grad. 1980)

Top Urgent Care Centers in Santa Barbara, CA