Ratings for Dr. Robert Uzzo

Totally impressed with Dr. Uzzo. He and his team are exceptional. Very good bedside manner as well as detailed in the office on the path we will be heading down. I went through a life changing event and was in great hands. I can't recommend him highly enough!!

flag | Submitted November 4, 2015

When my local Urologist discovered a mass in my kidney in a extremely difficult location for removal, He referred me to Fox Chase Cancer center. At Fox Chase Dr. Robert Uzzo was able to remove the mass and save 90% of my kidney. Not only is Dr. Uzzo a highly skilled surgeon, he also listened to any and all of our concerns and gave us the reassurance that we were in the best hands having chosen Fox Chase. Only a week and a half after surgery my wife and I enjoyed a lovely day at "Longwood Gardens". Thank You again Dr Uzzo and your team at Fox Chase for giving me excellent care and guidance through a very difficult time.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2015

he is the best doctor i have ever had ....he knows his business and is through and knows his business ..polite .....and a wonderful person....Dr Uzzo is the best .....i will tell everyone about him

flag | Submitted September 3, 2015

Dr. Uzzo Saved My Bladder! I was diagnosed with bladder cancer several years back. I was 48 years old. I went through 2 rounds of BCG treatments with my urologist at that time, outside of Foxchase. They seemed to think that this removed the cancer, but each time I went for checkups, they noted that the bladder still looked a little red. Finally, my urologist recommended a visit with a more experienced urologist, who recommended removing my bladder, which is quite a serious surgical procedure, with a very long recovery time. The thought of going through this life-changing surgery was very upsetting news. But then, as I was sharing my story with different people, one name kept coming up time and time again ... Dr. Uzzo, from Foxchase. It seemed that everyone I spoke with ... friends, neighbor, coworkers ... had a loved one that had a positive experience with Dr. Uzzo. They were all saying that I had to see him to get a second opinion. My partner and I made an appointment and went in to see him. What a difference this was compared to my prior experience with the urologist at the first hospital. After sitting with Dr. Uzzo for a few minutes, our nervousness began to subside. He really took his time to review all of the options with us, keeping my “quality of life” in the forefront of the conversation. He went over all of the treatment options, as well as the different surgical ones, complete with drawing diagrams for us to help us understand some of the procedures better. When he recommended that we try some other forms of treatments instead of jumping right into surgery, my heart leapt. I looked at my partner, who had a tear in his eye, as this was the first time that options other than bladder removal were being suggested at this stage. Dr. Uzzo took all the factors into consideration, including my young age and also that the cancer was in an early stage. We agreed to go through a series of different types of treatments at Foxchase, with Dr. Uzzo’s recommendation. His head nurse, Sue Burke, and I became quite familiar with each other as the treatments leave you no other option. The treatments can be a bit unpleasant to say the least but I could not have asked for a nicer, more caring nurse than Sue. She is a gem! She made me feel so relaxed and comfortable, like I was just hanging out with an old friend, and I cannot thank her enough. As a matter of fact all of the staff at Foxchase are wonderful ... caring, friendly ... really a great group. I would be remiss if I did not mention the help we got with all of the paperwork and correspondence. There were a lot of phone calls and emails back and forth between insurance companies and different doctors to get records transferred and procedures approved. Dr. Uzzo and Sue were on top of it all, contacting several different sources to get all of this accomplished. They also would respond to me outside of their normal working hours, when I had questions about different things. Never did I have to wait to hear back from them, which is very rare indeed. I have now completed my treatments and two years of maintenance treatments. Dr. Uzzo did final tests and biopsies and I could not be happier to report that I am now cancer free! Dr. Uzzo is an extraordinary doctor but more importantly, a great and caring man. He and his staff really made me feel that they care and I cannot say strongly enough how lucky I feel, having the support of the Foxchase team behind me at this difficult time. Go Foxchase!

flag | Submitted July 31, 2015

I am a former administrator at a major Philadelphia medical center. Having an insider's point of view is helpful for my personal health and, I think, for understanding just how demanding the field of medicine is. Bottom line: Phenomenal renal surgeon. I'd recommend high to anyone and everyone. And as surgeons go, his bedside manner is equally excellent. He runs a tight ship. Everyone on his staff is kind, caring and helpful. I can't give him an A+ for punctuality, but no surgeon merits that. Their schedules are grueling and they have to exhibit the best empathetic attributes most of the time, not to mention being rated on websites like this. Fortunately, talented physicians like Dr. Uzzo are up to the challenge. If you need renal surgery you've come to the finest. Hands down.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2015

Patient's update
I meant to say I'd recommend him highly. (no edit function here?)

Submitted March 5, 2015

In 2013, I went to see my primary care doctor about recurring pain in my lower back. After a battery of tests - X-rays, CT scans, MRIs - I was finally diagnosed with cancer. I remembered that moment, because the world lost all its color to me - it turned monochrome. (I am an architect by education, like to draw, paint and take photography, so colors are very important to my perception of the world.) At first I didn't know what to do with myself and I felt defeated. Eventually, though, I collected myself and decided to go to Fox Chase Cancer Center for a second opinion. After some research - asking friends, looking through various websites - I was referred to Dr. Robert Uzzo at FCCC. My very first appointment with Dr. Uzzo gave me renewed hope. Speaking softly and warmly, yet firmly and confidently, he reassured me that I could expect the best care possible and that I needn't worry too much. While initially I had been told that I might need to have my kidney removed, Dr. Uzzo immediately relieved my worries, telling me that it was not necessary. His treatment philosophy, as I've learned since, is to do everything in his power to save the kidney. I come from a family of doctors - my father was a pediatrician and a professor of medicine back in Ukraine, where I come from. He was extremely kind to the children who were his patients, as well as to everybody else he met. When I was a child, I always felt safe and taken care of, because of his doctor's talents. I am not exaggerating when I say that after meeting with Dr. Uzzo, I felt just as safe and taken care of as I had been in my childhood. With his congenial manner, Dr. Uzzo engendered respect and trust. Perhaps I'm embellishing somewhat, but after becoming Dr. Uzzo's patient, I started to see the colors around me once again, and recovered my lost joy in life. I would be remiss if I did not also thank all the terrific people who took care of me both at Dr. Uzzo's office and at the Fox Chase Cancer Center hospital while I underwent and was recovering from the surgery - the entire nursing staff, the anesthesiologist, and all other personnel. They treated me with kindness and compassion, helping cope with the pain after what was a quite serious operation. I have no reservations about recommending anyone diagnosed with cancer to go to Fox Chase Cancer Center in general, and Dr. Uzzo in particular, in case of kidney/urology issues. It's no wonder that FCCC is listed as one of the national cancer treatment centers - the quality of care is outstanding.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2014

Had to wait almost 2 hours to be seen between waiting room & exam room however, if I had to wait 6 hours to see this incredible surgeon, I certainly would. Everyone on his staff is top notch. Thank you for saving my kidney & my life.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2011

His staff waited 24 hours to admit to hospital for a post op infection - it was hell going through that at home. Not sure why this took so long when the visiting RN called office twice with detailed description of symptoms. Be insistent/detailed with office staff - we ran into this several times with other issues too.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2010

Dr. Robert Uzzo's Credentials

• Cornell University Medical College (Grad. 1991)

Banner Health