Ratings for Dr. Antonia Chronopoulos

I believe when one goes to a therapy session that person should feel better and display some form of growth when they leave the session. After leaving two sessions with Dr. Chronopolous (PhD not MD), I felt angry, attacked, and ultimately turned off by the entire therapy profession. Like other reviewers have already stated, she is incredibly judgmental, does not listen, and imposes her personal opinions at every opportunity. She does not seem to care to work with or listen to the patient; and thinks her way is the correct and only way. I decided to give her a second chance after a very upsetting first session, but after half an hour of being attacked and judged I decided this was not going to work and stood up and left. After two sessions, she never once outlined a plan, never once told me how the sessions will be conducted, and never once told me what I can expect. I strongly do NOT recommend her care. Good for you if you are on this website and reading these reviews before seeing her.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2017

I will start with the positives of this doctor. She is an intelligent woman who is well versed in the subject matter at hand. She clearly knows the ins and outs of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and has been doing this for a long time. If you are looking for more of a "professor" type therapist who is there to guide you through a curriculum of sorts, she would be a very helpful resource. Unfortunately, this is where the positives stopped during my experience with Dr. Chronopoulos. I give her a 3 for "knowledge" because CBT is where her knowledge start and ends. She becomes very uncomfortable when you ask for other perspectives and will lash out at the patient. I am a secure person, so I was able to take her snarky comments with a grain of salt and hoped to come out of therapy with more tools than I started with. I will say I succeeded, but eventually the cold attitude took a toll on my ability to learn and thrive. Dr. Chronopoulos began accusing me of not being invested in the therapy process (which - surprise - made me become less invested!) when I would not do my "homework" to her satisfaction. She did not care that I told her I felt I was learning a lot and doing better because it was only about completing the task at hand for her. The therapy sessions came to a head several months in when I brought up a new way of viewing things to which she snapped "I am not used to being challenged like this." I decided not to return and feel terrible for patients who stay and do not know how poorly they are being treated. She is someone who uses her professional license to put others down and I really hope MGH is able to see this at some point.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2017

I agree with other reviewers that Dr. Chronopolous is a terrible listener. There is a persistent judgmental, cold tone throughout conversations. She has a tendency to be extremely irritable which serves as a major barrier to effective treatment. I would not recommend her as a mental health professional.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2017

The long pauses or lack of appropriate responses make you feel out of place. It was unclear if she was not able or not willing to hear what was being said. She comes across as someone who hides behind the high degrees and does not care or understands. Too rigid, cold, obsessive, too self-focused on her rather then you.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2014

My experience with Dr. Chronopoulos turned out very positive. I am a life long sufferer of social anxiety and OCD. Dr Chronopoulos exposed me to the real benefits of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and it has been life changing for me. I had individual therapy sessions and group therapy. I went on to learn more about the neuroscience behind CBT on my own and it reinforced my knowledge of the real success of the therapy. Dr Chronopoulos is very focused during her therapy sessions and constantly orients you to what is essential. Her therapy sessions stay on subject and you don't waste time with silly chit-chat. She expects you to be proactive for yourself and she makes that clear. In my case such a therapist style was very beneficial. I did not need a friend. I needed someone to change my brain patterns. Dr. Chronopoulos did just that.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2013

Bad listener. Has a hard time hearing what someone else actually says. From her comments, often clear that she misunderstood the patient. Rigid. Obsessive; needs to be right. Not well-suited to be a therapist.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2013

If therapy were about judgement and perception of the client then Dr. Chronopoulous would be fantastic. Unfortunately, therapy is about maintaining openness to understanding the client and their unique problem while encouraging them to make positive changes to solve those problems. Dr. Chronopoulous is neither open nor positive. From the moment you step into her office you feel her cold demeanor and her firm intent to layer diagnoses on you and judge how she thinks your treatment should go. She is a terrible listener. After reading my diagnostic notes and finding inaccuracies that are shared with all my other doctors I can attest to this. I have been to many therapists in my lifetime and she is definitely the worst I've been to. It's a shame that there are so many poor practitioners in the field of mental health because it's these judgmental, arrogant practitioners that cause people to avoid the help they could potentially benefit from. There are great therapists so keep looking.

flag | Submitted January 9, 2013