Ratings for Dr. David Canes

I am a 57 year old man who presented with a PSA of 5.4 and no other symptoms. Dr.Canes proceeded with an MRI, biopsy and I chose radical prose to you. I had stage 3 cancer with 70% of my prostate filled with cancer. Dr.Canes spared all my nerves and 6 weeks post op no pain, back to work, full functionality and no urinary leakage and my PSA is undetectable. Dr.Canes is an excellent surgeon and I highly recommend him. Regards Joe M

flag | Submitted July 17, 2019

Dr Canes is all you could ever hope for once you find that you have prostate cancer where watchful waiting or active surveillance are no longer sufficient. There aren't enough superlatives to describe the experience of having Dr Canes treat PC from the initial consultation, through the actual robotic surgery, to the immediate and 3 month follow-up. He is calm, clear, deliberate, precise, friendly, detailed, very experienced, and technically deep. Ultra PSA 0 after 3 months. No incontinence.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2019

It was an amazing experience in my robotic radical prostatectomy performed by Dr. Canes in July 2018 at Parkland Medical Center NH. Pre-operation consultation was thorough and informative, nice facility, kind people and well planned schedule. The procedure was very smooth with no pain. I didn't take any painkiller post surgery. Catheter was out in 7 days, no leakage and smooth urination. Very lucky to have Dr. Canes to perform the procedure!

flag | Submitted September 24, 2018

I had an excellent outcome from the prostate surgery performed by Dr. Canes at Lahey Hospital. My family and I were extremely pleased with his bedside manner and his thoroughness, and he always made himself available for any questions. His staff was knowledgeable and courteous throughout the entire experience.

flag | Submitted September 9, 2018

Dr. Canes removed my prostate in September 2017 as I had aggressive prostate cancer with a Gleason score of 7. It's been a year since my surgery and I couldn't be happier. My PSA test scores since surgery have been zero, meaning he got all the cancer. I never had a continence problem, no significant pain, back at work in 2 weeks, and I'm riding my road bike, kayaking and lifting weights with no problems. Dr. Canes is very patient, explains everything and answers all your questions. He's an expert at prostate surgery and I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2018

Dana Booth, DMD, 75, Concord, Ma, On November 15, 2017, Dr. Canes successfully performed a Robotic Assisted radical prostatectomy on me at Lahey Burlington. He has the expertise, the meticulous drive for perfection plus he will take the time to prevent possible side effects. He personally called me at my home as soon as he had the post surgical pathology report - which was good news !! He demonstrated his compassion by facilitating and expediting my treatment - I went to Parkland, Derry, N.H. so he could do the prerequisite biopsy. I unconditionally recommend his care. My family and I are profoundly grateful - Thank you, Dr. Canes and staff.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2018

I was diagnosed with a high grade prostate cancer. Dr. Canes walked me through this radical prostatectomy and what would happen. The operation was a complete success, The cancer is gone and I am very happy with my results. He did a great job and I thank him for his great skills and knowledge.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2018

If you are going to have laparoscopic robotic-assisted prostatectomy David Canes is the man you want to do the procedure! My entire experience working with Dr. Canes and his team was one of utmost professionalism and respect. They took the time to ensure that my partner and I understood the risks and outcomes of the disease and the procedure. My surgery, hospital stay and recovery were exactly that we had discussed. Incontinence and erectile dysfunction are minimal, nearly non-existant and I resumed my activities and work quickly. If are in the situation where you need to consider this procedure don't wait! The younger and you are the better the recovery, and less chance of the cancer spreading to your lymph nodes and bones. Trust the professionals and get back to your life an family quickly.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2017

This is your guy! When I learned my PSA was significantly elevated, I knew I had a choice of surgeons to see for the next steps. As an anesthesia provider, I have been in operating rooms for years. In addition to doing my research, I knew I would know when I found my surgeon. I met with Dr. Canes after he was highly recommended by a senior urologist colleague. He calmly and methodically walked me through the minutiae of each step to come. After my biopsy returned positive for high-risk prostate cancer, Dr. Canes once again guided me through all the available options and then the steps I would need to get through surgery. He instilled a sense of calm in me that I did not have independently. More importantly, he instilled a sense of confidence. I was confident in his ability and confident that I would do well if he was my surgeon. I have anesthetized dozens of patients for the the very surgery I was now in need of. Needless to say, the bar was set high. After completing a sequence of pre-op diagnostic tests, I underwent a laparoscopic robotic-assisted prostatectomy. The surgery was completely uneventful. I was discharged the next day and my recovery was almost identical to what I was taught pre-op. Once my catheter was removed I was waiting for incontinence, but it never came. While things inevitably change in our lives after any major surgery, I maintained full continence from day one and returned to work in the operating room in three weeks. My assessment is that Dr. Canes is a technical artist. He is skilled, proficient, compassionate, professional, detailed, and ALL the other things written about him. The Lahey Institute for Urology did an exceptional job with this process from start to finish. I was able to make appointments at both Lahey Burlington, MA and Lahey Parkland in Derry, NH, which worked extremely well for my needs. Dr. Canes is highly-regarded among his peers in the medical community and I absolutely concur with that appraisal! There are simply no words to thank him for his unending commitment to my shockwave of a diagnosis. But it does take a village and the entire team was superb! The Lahey Nursing staff was basically perfection! Shout out to Nurse Lisa at Parkland…you’re awesome! Huge thanks also to Sandy in Burlington for all your help. Last but not least, colossal thanks to the phenomenal anesthesia team! Bob, my CRNA, and Dr. Mike Kaufman handed me off in impeccable condition with no issues whatsoever. This is one well-oiled machine and I am one incredibly grateful patient!

flag | Submitted May 19, 2017

Dr. Canes performed my robotic prostatectomy. Minimal side effects at 3 months. The guy is a surgeon and an artist! Highly skilled, while being a very thoughtful and caring professional.

flag | Submitted September 20, 2016

Dr. David Canes's Credentials

• Cornell University Medical College (Grad. 2001)

Top Hospitals in Burlington, MA