Ratings for Dr. Robert E. Anderson

This dr is terrible! Please go anywhere else as his office is dirty. I caught an std from dirty equipment there and it has been almost 20 years since this dr performed a laparoscopy on me and I am still having trouble with the surgery site.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2018

FYI, this is a detailed review. Please take some time to read it. After experiencing 2 IVFs with 2 different fertility clinics, I learned that fertility specialists can be very different. We carefully selected our doctors by comparing published IVF success rate reports on both the US government's CDC and the SART. Even though both doctors had comparably high national success rates, my previous doctor failed us terribly while Dr. Anderson helped us toward achieving the goal of pregnancy. Here is why. MY STORY I am 39 with diminished ovarian reserve (FSH 11.1, AMH 1.33). A few hours after the very first consultation with my previous doctor, we were given the calendar of dates for the injectable, the dosage and also the egg retrieval date without her doing any physical exam or ultrasound on me. Because of her reported high success rate, I chose to trust her even though I felt I was being treated like a number. Little did I know that it was so wrong to follow a set calendar without the doctor even knowing how my body would respond to the meds. After 31 days of birth control pills (which compromised my ovarian reserve even more) and 10 days of injectable, my eggs were retrieved before they became mature (5 eggs with Estradiol 394) because the retrieval date was scheduled two months prior. All of my retrieved eggs died on Day 3. The doctor told me to consider donor eggs because she "cannot make miracles happen." We felt desperate because even the fertility specialist with a high success rate could not help us. However, when we found Dr. Anderson six month later, it was a totally different story. There was no set calendar. Dr. Anderson did the ultrasound and blood test on Day 3 to decide if this month was a good month to start the IVF based on my antral follicle count and FSH level. Once the cycle started, I was monitored closely every other day and eventually every day before egg retrieval. Injectable dosage was adjusted based on each ultrasound and blood test. I had a total of 7 ultrasounds during the cycle compared to 4 with my previous doctor. I was given injectable for 14 days instead of 10 days with my previous doctor. With my AMH down to 0.87, Dr. Anderson managed to retrieve 8 eggs and had 3 embryos survive to Day 5 for PGS testing and 2 embryos came out with a normal PGS result. One boy and one girl! We were thrilled with the result. It was the miracle my previous doctor said she could not make happen. Although the published success rate on CDC of both my previous doctor and Dr. Anderson are among the highest in the nation, one clinic has a false/misleading high success rate because they cherry pick patients to boost up their rate. They pick easy patients with minor fertility problems or couples with no fertility issues but need gender selection. They simply turn down patients with real fertility issues by suggesting donor eggs without trying to solve the problem. On the other hand, Dr. Anderson is up to challenges and welcome couples who are struggling with serious fertility issues. He encourages couples who have experienced failed IVFs by offering free 2nd opinion consultation. And his success rate is not compromised at all. DOCTOR Dr. Anderson has nearly 30 years of experience practicing reproductive medicine. He is professional, knowledgeable, analytical, and focuses on maximizing the chance of success. He insists on the best methodology and protocol that gets the best result for each patient. He is more interested in what the best approaches are as opposed to what the patients want. The personalized, tailored approach is designed for each couple based on their unique situation. Dr. Anderson does not compromise on quality. He follows everyone's own natural cycle and initiates the treatment at the best time for the body. Dr. Anderson himself is not only confident and straightforward, but also detailed, thorough and observant. He is very efficient and is a no-nonsense doctor. In my first consultation with him, he walked into the office and the first question he had for me was " Where is your embryo report? Why don't I see your embryo report?" Apparently he had already read through all of my files before he met me. I had no embryo report because none of my embryos survived long enough to be tested. Unlike other doctors who take time asking the same questions you had already answered on your long application form or patient portal weeks before the consultation, Dr. Anderson knows your history even before he meets you and he goes straight to the point. Please see the part 2 of my review about the clinic, payment, ivf success rate on 1/3/18 at LINK https://www.yelp.com/biz/robert-e-anderson-md-newport-beach?hrid=kRfAzYXcw-e_0cpnBz1wJQ&utm_campaign=www_review_share_popup&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=(direct)

flag | Submitted January 4, 2018

Unbelievable. I am shocked. Dr. Anderson's nurse just called me to tell me Dr. Anderson will no longer do IUIs on me because "they won't work." I went to him last uear for IUIs. Maybe a total of 6. I have unexplained infertility and low AMH due to my age. I agree they will not likely work, as we have done TWO IVF rounds since I say him (at HRC - much cheaper, Anderson's professional fee alone is $5,000!). I am still paying those off and looking at IVF next sunmer. In the mean time, I wanted to try IUIs. But the nurse said he will not see me. What kind of doctor refuses to do this? Save your money and go elsewhere. I told the nurse I would be posting reviews, blogging about it etc. And she said "okay!"

flag | Submitted August 14, 2017

Dr. Anderson came highly recommended to me, my best friend has been pregnant by him twice, and is very happy with her experience. I, however, cannot share her same opinion. IVF never worked for me, not with Dr. Anderson and not with the RE I used after him, Dr. Accacio. And even though I never got good news in all of my 4 full cycle fresh attempts, my experience with both doctors was vastly different. I love Dr. Accacio and would recommend him with the highest review. Dr. Anderson's office is amazing, you'll feel like you are in a spa and being treated with utmost care. I have nothing but good things to say about the environment and staff. But in the end, these are not the things that ultimately matter. Your personal relationship with your RE is top priority, second only to his ability to do his job. While there were many things which went right while I was under Dr. Anderson's care, the things which went wrong went terribly wrong and were inexcusable. 1. During my first surgery, Dr. Anderson found some unexpected roadblocks, which he did not fix because "he had not gained prior consent". I was under the impression I had given consent to fix any problems preventing me from getting pregnant. I walked out with a stat sheet of items which still needed to be fixed and ultimately had a 2nd surgery under Dr. Accacio's care. 2. The night before my transfer, Dr. Anderson called to tell me that 2 of the fresh embryos would be implanted the next day and there were 4 frozen ones still awaiting genetic testing results. 10 minutes before my appt, he called to say we needed to delay an hour for results. I was confused, but we went to lunch. At the office, the technician told us we were still waiting for genetic testing results to see if my embryos were even viable. It was shocking, confusing and stressful to hear. That is not what he conveyed in our conversation the night before. 3. Dr. Anderson told me to go ahead and have the pre-transfer acupuncture treatment while we waited. I trusted his care and did it. I would find out an hour later, that I had just wasted $200. 4. After my acupuncture ended, I laid on the table awaiting further instruction for another 30 minutes. Dr. Anderson finally came to give us the news. At this point, he should have taken us to his office or at least asked me to sit up and have my husband next to me. But he did neither, he delivered bad news as I stared up at him from the table with my husband seated away from me. It was awkward and uncomfortable. In contrast, when Dr. Accacio gave us bad news, he seated us in his office next to each other with a box of tissues and a bottle of water. 5. Dr. Anderson also told me the frozen embryos tested unviable. It was very confusing and devastating as I thought we had a week before getting the frozen results. When I went to his office a few days later to start another cycle, the nurses told me they would have news on my frozen embryos in a few days. Confused, I assured them they had it wrong. But turns out I was right, we still had embryos being tested. There was still hope. I expected a call from Dr. Anderson with an apology for delivering such wrong information and to check on me to see how I was holding up. He didn't call until several days later when he had the negative tests results and never asked how I was doing, or acknowledged his error. A big fat major error. I was boiling mad by this point, which is what spurred me to find another RE. Infertility is grueling, expensive, emotional and often times does not ever yield a happy ending. You deserve an RE who has the desire to ensure he's delivering the right information, and the ability to guide you through bad news in a kind and personal manner. I did not grasp the weight of this, until this experience. I urge you to choose an RE based on the personal relationship you can build with him, so that he'll cry with you if he ever has tell you bad news... and you will feel much loved when you need it most. Side note: we have happily adopted since our unsuccessful IVF days. It's just as grueling but in different ways. But oh so worth it.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2015

this might be years late but when my wife and went for the IVF years ago he knew we where from out of town it and then it was all about the money, made us do many un needed tests and use a lot of medications to increase the tab!. we did not get pregnant and to this day we do not know what happened to the extra 22 eggs harvested from my wife !?. we were offed a lot of money to use the extras for other women but we declined because of our religious beliefs . I am thinking if legal consultation on the matter.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2014

I got pregnant on the first IVF at 39 years old with Dr. Anderson's help. He is very knowledgable and doesn't compromise on quality. He insist on the best methodology and protocol for the best results. I like the fact that he does not batch his IVF patients. Everyone is on they own natural cycle and you don't feel like a widget in an assembly line. I love the staff and the nurses. They are very helpful and professional. They had two offices when I was with them and it was very convenient to not have to drive to Newport Beach every day. It was very helpful that they open so early in the morning so that I could get to work by 8am.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2014

I have done a total of 4 iuis with Dr A, moving on to IVF is this last one doesn't work. Love the girls in the front office, they are cheerful and very helpful with scheduling and questions. I appreciate that they are open so early, and have two locations. I normally have less than a 10 minute wait. Nurses are very nice. Especially Tory and Karen. They are really good at what they do too. When they do the bloodwork you can barely feel the prick of the needle. I will tell you the Dr A. is all business. He is analytical with the occasional smile or joke... but don't expect him to hold your hand and talk about your feelings and how hard infertility is. He is focused on one thing... getting you prego. Sometimes he appears to be aloof,I don't take it personally. The nurses really smooth out his rough edges. He does have the highest published success rates here in the OC. He also give a cash discount to those that have no insurance coverage, which is helpful.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2011

I can't write too much because I only went to him for a consult and never returned. My consult was short and after a brief talk in his office he performed an ultrasound. After getting dressed I assumed I would get more time to talk about my questions but when I opened the door he was standing next to a counter with a pamphlet in his hands and told me to go read it, rather than talk to me about the information in it. I was so furious. He was leaving for Europe the next day and I don't know if he was in hurry to start his vacation or what but I never went back. He also assumed I needed to be treated with medication for a condition that would have made me become hyperthyroid. Anderson was our 2nd opinion consult and this visit was an affirmation that in spite of his higher success rates I choose an RE that I felt more comfortable with. The nurse was super nice and I think she was trying to make up for his lack of demeanor...not enough to make us want to switch.

flag | Submitted August 19, 2011

Dr. Anderson has been an amazing doctor and person. Answering every question and holding our hands through each step. Come in with realistic expectations and respect for the process and you will be completely satisfied. While other doctors push you into more invasive proceedures Dr. Anderson respects a patients beliefs and comfort levels.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2010

I got IUI done by dr anderson. it worked the first time. he does great work and his nurses are amazing, his receptionst in the newport office during the week are very rude. but his other staff is amazing

flag | Submitted November 9, 2010