You may also like

Rate Dr. Robert E. Anderson

Dr. Robert E. Anderson's Ratings

Dr. Anderson came highly recommended to me, my best friend has been pregnant by him twice, and is very happy with her experience. I, however, cannot share her same opinion. IVF never worked for me, not with Dr. Anderson and not with the RE I used after him, Dr. Accacio. And even though I never got good news in all of my 4 full cycle fresh attempts, my experience with both doctors was vastly different. I love Dr. Accacio and would recommend him with the highest review.

Dr. Anderson's office is amazing, you'll feel like you are in a spa and being treated with utmost care. I have nothing but good things to say about the environment and staff. But in the end, these are not the things that ultimately matter. Your personal relationship with your RE is top priority, second only to his ability to do his job.

While there were many things which went right while I was under Dr. Anderson's care, the things which went wrong went terribly wrong and were inexcusable.

1. During my first surgery, Dr. Anderson found some unexpected roadblocks, which he did not fix because "he had not gained prior consent". I was under the impression I had given consent to fix any problems preventing me from getting pregnant. I walked out with a stat sheet of items which still needed to be fixed and ultimately had a 2nd surgery under Dr. Accacio's care.

2. The night before my transfer, Dr. Anderson called to tell me that 2 of the fresh embryos would be implanted the next day and there were 4 frozen ones still awaiting genetic testing results. 10 minutes before my appt, he called to say we needed to delay an hour for results. I was confused, but we went to lunch. At the office, the technician told us we were still waiting for genetic testing results to see if my embryos were even viable. It was shocking, confusing and stressful to hear. That is not what he conveyed in our conversation the night before.

3. Dr. Anderson told me to go ahead and have the pre-transfer acupuncture treatment while we waited. I trusted his care and did it. I would find out an hour later, that I had just wasted $200.

4. After my acupuncture ended, I laid on the table awaiting further instruction for another 30 minutes. Dr. Anderson finally came to give us the news. At this point, he should have taken us to his office or at least asked me to sit up and have my husband next to me. But he did neither, he delivered bad news as I stared up at him from the table with my husband seated away from me. It was awkward and uncomfortable. In contrast, when Dr. Accacio gave us bad news, he seated us in his office next to each other with a box of tissues and a bottle of water.

5. Dr. Anderson also told me the frozen embryos tested unviable. It was very confusing and devastating as I thought we had a week before getting the frozen results. When I went to his office a few days later to start another cycle, the nurses told me they would have news on my frozen embryos in a few days. Confused, I assured them they had it wrong. But turns out I was right, we still had embryos being tested. There was still hope. I expected a call from Dr. Anderson with an apology for delivering such wrong information and to check on me to see how I was holding up. He didn't call until several days later when he had the negative tests results and never asked how I was doing, or acknowledged his error. A big fat major error. I was boiling mad by this point, which is what spurred me to find another RE.

Infertility is grueling, expensive, emotional and often times does not ever yield a happy ending. You deserve an RE who has the desire to ensure he's delivering the right information, and the ability to guide you through bad news in a kind and personal manner. I did not grasp the weight of this, until this experience. I urge you to choose an RE based on the personal relationship you can build with him, so that he'll cry with you if he ever has tell you bad news... and you will feel much loved when you need it most.

Side note: we have happily adopted since our unsuccessful IVF days. It's just as grueling but in different ways. But oh so worth it.

Was this rating useful? 4 [[ userState['ratings'][2748801].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 16, 2015

this might be years late but when my wife and went for the IVF years ago he knew we where from out of town it and then it was all about the money, made us do many un needed tests and use a lot of medications to increase the tab!. we did not get pregnant and to this day we do not know what happened to the extra 22 eggs harvested from my wife !?. we were offed a lot of money to use the extras for other women but we declined because of our religious beliefs . I am thinking if legal consultation on the matter.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2643295].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 5, 2014

I got pregnant on the first IVF at 39 years old with Dr. Anderson's help. He is very knowledgable and doesn't compromise on quality. He insist on the best methodology and protocol for the best results. I like the fact that he does not batch his IVF patients. Everyone is on they own natural cycle and you don't feel like a widget in an assembly line. I love the staff and the nurses. They are very helpful and professional. They had two offices when I was with them and it was very convenient to not have to drive to Newport Beach every day. It was very helpful that they open so early in the morning so that I could get to work by 8am.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2487356].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 7, 2014

I have done a total of 4 iuis with Dr A, moving on to IVF is this last one doesn't work. Love the girls in the front office, they are cheerful and very helpful with scheduling and questions. I appreciate that they are open so early, and have two locations. I normally have less than a 10 minute wait. Nurses are very nice. Especially Tory and Karen. They are really good at what they do too. When they do the bloodwork you can barely feel the prick of the needle. I will tell you the Dr A. is all business. He is analytical with the occasional smile or joke... but don't expect him to hold your hand and talk about your feelings and how hard infertility is. He is focused on one thing... getting you prego. Sometimes he appears to be aloof,I don't take it personally. The nurses really smooth out his rough edges. He does have the highest published success rates here in the OC. He also give a cash discount to those that have no insurance coverage, which is helpful.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2020630].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 15, 2011

I can't write too much because I only went to him for a consult and never returned. My consult was short and after a brief talk in his office he performed an ultrasound. After getting dressed I assumed I would get more time to talk about my questions but when I opened the door he was standing next to a counter with a pamphlet in his hands and told me to go read it, rather than talk to me about the information in it. I was so furious. He was leaving for Europe the next day and I don't know if he was in hurry to start his vacation or what but I never went back. He also assumed I needed to be treated with medication for a condition that would have made me become hyperthyroid. Anderson was our 2nd opinion consult and this visit was an affirmation that in spite of his higher success rates I choose an RE that I felt more comfortable with. The nurse was super nice and I think she was trying to make up for his lack of demeanor...not enough to make us want to switch.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2020629].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 19, 2011

Dr. Anderson has been an amazing doctor and person. Answering every question and holding our hands through each step. Come in with realistic expectations and respect for the process and you will be completely satisfied. While other doctors push you into more invasive proceedures Dr. Anderson respects a patients beliefs and comfort levels.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2020628].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 20, 2010

I got IUI done by dr anderson. it worked the first time. he does great work and his nurses are amazing, his receptionst in the newport office during the week are very rude. but his other staff is amazing

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2020627].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 9, 2010

Dr anderson himself was very frank and straightforward, I really appreciated his no-BS attitude. He answered every question I had thoroughly in plain English and he didn't sugar-coat things. He's professional and had great bedside manner. His nurses are kind, caring and put me at ease during my IVF, which often had me feeling anxious and uncomfortable physically. Several times I had questions on my meds and called and was able to talk to a nurse immediately or get a callback with in 15 minutes. Also having 2 office locations is very convenient.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2020626].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 27, 2010

I usually don't post comments, but thought that I "owed" it to Dr. Anderson and his staff to share my positive experience. I had seen over three physicians in the course of a decade trying to become pregnant. All other attempts (by other physicians) were unsuccessful, until I started working with Dr. Anderson's office. Now, I am pregnant and absolutely thrilled beyond words. Thankfully, I had received two other positive recommendations from friends steering me to him. I appreciate the professionalism of his office and trust him and his staff. I would whole-heartedly recommend Dr. Anderson!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2020625].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 1, 2010

Dr. Anderson did not check on my file before conducting an IVF. Did not warn us about risks of doing an IVF with a faulty tube - we would have requested it would be removed before we paid to do an IVF. IVF resulted in an ectopic, and during exam - Dr. Anderson said "I don't think I put it there?". Upon exiting the room he then consulted my file and said "oh, that is right, you have weird tube". I then had to go into surgery to remove my left tube and the ectopic pregnancy. He stated he would help us out with the next IVF due to him "not knowing if he put it there" and when we went into consultation he denied the offer. Several friends have since met with him during consultations - I have asked them to ask about his ectopic pregnancy rate. Each time he has said he has never had one. When they say my name - each time he say "I don't remember her". Now why would you want to go to a doctor that isn't honest?

Was this rating useful? 4 [[ userState['ratings'][2020624].votes_count ]]